Gripen jet pilot posthumously promoted an air marshal

webfact

Gripen jet pilot posthumously promoted an air marshal

1501001.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Force has awarded the pilot who was killed when his Gripen fighter jet crashed during an air show in Hat Yai on the Children’s Day on Saturday a seven-step posthumous promotion, making him an air marshal.

The body of the pilot, Group Captain Dilokrith Patthavee, was flown from Hat Yai to the Don Meuang airport on Saturday where he was received by Air Chief Marshal Chom Rungsawang, the air force commander-in-chief, and guards of honour.

Besides the posthumous promotion, the family of the deceased pilot will receive monthly welfare fund amounting 30,000 baht and other fringe benefits totaling 2.78 million baht.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/gripen-jet-pilot-posthumously-promoted-air-marshal/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-16

I bet that pleases him no end.

Maybe it's just my suspicious mind, but considering he single-handedly took out a decent sized proportion of the Thai air force's fighting capability, something doesn't smell right here.

If it was a choice between recouping the cost of the jet from the family and compensating them, I know which I would expect

Edited by grumbleweed

14 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Well you mess up and get benefits. You do everything right, well!

How do you win? Mess up.

You and grumbleweed are both sick demented individuals. Were either of you smart enough or brave enough to be jet fighter pilots durying your miserable working life, doubt it very much.

10 minutes ago, sandgroper2 said:

You and grumbleweed are both sick demented individuals. Were either of you smart enough or brave enough to be jet fighter pilots durying your miserable working life, doubt it very much.

And those are my good points

Anyone with a modicum of mental ability would realize that I  wasn't criticizing the pilot's ability or bravery

I could try to explain but obviously my words would be lost on those of such low cognitive ability that they can't think before they speak, and so have to revert to insults while hiding behind a keyboard

Very mysterious indeed. The reaction a bit over the top?

If perchance a Thai pilot gets shot down in the line of duty, as in a real combat situation, would he get the same treatment?

We'll have to wait and see, although don't hold your breath. It ain't gonna happen for a long time.

Yesterday the news described him as a Squadron Leader.  Today it describes him as a Group Captain who is being promoted to Air Marshal.

I have read that it is common to posthumously promote in order to compensate the family.

The highest ranking Marshal of the RTAF is 7 from SL and 5 from GC.  Ordinary Air Marshal is 5 from SL and 3 from GC.

Either way it is a big jump, but not surprising as they really don't want anyone "reflecting" on the circumstances of this incident.

Make of this what you will:

"ACM Dilokrith said he expected the result of the cause of the plane crash within two months. He maintained that the air show on Saturday in Hat Yai was normal training flight and not an acrobatic air show ."

I suspect that the maneuver was unplanned, unpractised, not "cleared" and "off the cuff".  As was the whole "display".

The words "Get up there and chuck it around a bit" spring to mind.

Edited by Enoon

Unrelated to this topic kind of sort of but somebody explain me something as this isn't the first time I reading something like this.

What's the deal with getting promoted after you die? I could somewhat rationalize it if it was during war or something, but in instances like these? Anyhow, honest question.

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

Well you mess up and get benefits. You do everything right, well!

How do you win? Mess up.

Has the cause of the accident been determined yet? Did he 'mess up', as you say? Or might it have been a mechanical failure?

I doubt one Griffin jet fighter repersents a signifigant porportion of the Thai Air forces fighting potential.

I am sorry for the young man who died, but i do know several USAF fighter pilots and their training and medical history is quite harsh and they undergo repeated testing.

To include regular centrifuge tests to check the ability to tolerate high G turns.

It is a serious thing, and can change with age and flight hours and high G stress.

There was one USAf pilot who stopped flying that i knew when on a routine high G centrafuge test he passed out.

The doctors said they would clear him for futher flights, but he vouluntarily left flying status.

He was just married for a year whrn he passed out and his wife was pregnant with his son.

At that point he decided to take a non flying job, as his child was more important to him than flying.

Last time I heard from him he had a 5 year old son.

He loved flying, but he had his priorities also.

Flying high speed fighters is a young man's or women"s game, and it takes it's physical toll on you.

49 minutes ago, Ceruhe said:

Unrelated to this topic kind of sort of but somebody explain me something as this isn't the first time I reading something like this.

What's the deal with getting promoted after you die? I could somewhat rationalize it if it was during war or something, but in instances like these? Anyhow, honest question.

Higher rank = better benefits for widows/children.

RIP, the pilot. But unless the he took evasive action to avoid the people on the ground, and paid for it with his own life, there currently seems to be no evidence of exceptional heroism on his part. And until a full and proper investigation has been undertaken and completed, no one - the RTAF high command included - has any idea what caused the crash. And pilot error is an obvious possibility.

So in posthumously promoting the Group Captain seven levels, the RTAF has jumped in much too quickly.

1 hour ago, Ceruhe said:

In any western country, better pension benefits, etc., for the family. Here, who can tell?

Edited by Jonmarleesco

36 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Higher rank = better benefits for widows/children.

20 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

In any western country, better pension benefits, etc., for the family. Here, who can tell?

Thx and thx.

Guess I'll need to re-rationalize that somehow. Call me simple minded or whatever, in my head one needs to earn the promotion and future benefits of said promition while alive or KIA during war....and not just for the sakes of it.

To me it was clear what happened.  He flew over the crowd and then inverted the plane and forgot he was inverted and went to go into a climb but instead of a climb he flew himself into the ground.  This was his 3rd airshow of the day and he may have been tired.  He was disorientated in flight and moved the control stick in the wrong direction.  Very sad for him and his family.

3 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

I bet that pleases him no end.

Maybe it's just my suspicious mind, but considering he single-handedly took out a decent sized proportion of the Thai air force's fighting capability, something doesn't smell right here.

If it was a choice between recouping the cost of the jet from the family and compensating them, I know which I would expect

What size does your tinfoil hat come in- I need one for a friend?

2 hours ago, Ceruhe said:

A lot of militaries do it as it boosts the pension payments for the family.  

A nice gesture and I can't see why some people  on here need to critizise it.

Oh, hang on- its Thaigeezers isnt it!

8 minutes ago, thaipo7 said:

To me it was clear what happened.  He flew over the crowd and then inverted the plane and forgot he was inverted and went to go into a climb but instead of a climb he flew himself into the ground.  This was his 3rd airshow of the day and he may have been tired.  He was disorientated in flight and moved the control stick in the wrong direction.  Very sad for him and his family.

How wonderful you are. You have singlehandedly solved the cause of the accident that nobody else including the RTAF AIB has been able to do, and in less than 2 days as well.

Of course it may just be speculation and in truth all you really know is what everybody else knows, very little, but don't let that get in the way of the "truth" will you.

4 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

Your reply is very stupid and meaningless.

How do you know what we did in our working lives, a lot more you I would   hazard.

3 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I doubt one Griffin jet fighter repersents a signifigant porportion of the Thai Air forces fighting potential.

I am sorry for the young man who died, but i do know several USAF fighter pilots and their training and medical history is quite harsh and they undergo repeated testing.

To include regular centrifuge tests to check the ability to tolerate high G turns.

It is a serious thing, and can change with age and flight hours and high G stress.

There was one USAf pilot who stopped flying that i knew when on a routine high G centrafuge test he passed out.

The doctors said they would clear him for futher flights, but he vouluntarily left flying status.

He was just married for a year whrn he passed out and his wife was pregnant with his son.

At that point he decided to take a non flying job, as his child was more important to him than flying.

Last time I heard from him he had a 5 year old son.

He loved flying, but he had his priorities also.

Flying high speed fighters is a young man's or women"s game, and it takes it's physical toll on you.

RTAF had 12 Gripen jets. Now has 11. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30304127

Edited by Seligne2
Typo