The end of an era for “The greatest show on earth”

webfact

The end of an era for “The greatest show on earth”

606x341_355019.jpg

The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey circus said on Saturday it will cease performances after 146 years in business, owing to what it said were declining tickets sales and high operating costs.

“After much evaluation and deliberation, my family and I have made the difficult business decision that Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey will hold its final performances in May,” Kenneth Feld, chairman and CEO of Feld Entertainment, the Florida-based producer of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey, said on the circus’ web site.

In May of last year, the circus retired its elephant act, years after a suit by activists. It admitted no wrongdoing, but agreed to a six-figure fine several years before ending the elephant performances.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-16

The circus as entertainment is alive and well with the trend being towards the human circus acts of the likes of Cirque du Soleil. The circus sideshows are also alive from countless county fairs to city based hipster productions. It is only the traveling 3-ring show that has become obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Like Great Britain.

better to have been a has been - like the US will be soon enough, as the UK, France, Russia, the Romans, the Mongols and all have become, rather than to have always been a never was - like Australia, Canada and most of the tin pot European countries.

10 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

better to have been a has been - like the US will be soon enough, as the UK, France, Russia, the Romans, the Mongols and all have become, rather than to have always been a never was - like Australia, Canada and most of the tin pot European countries.

With technology, the best education system in the world,

(university), willingness to work and an "I can accomplish 

anything attitude" the best years for the USA are still ahead 

of them!

30 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

of them!

That's hard to predict. The imminent massive job loss for the poorly educated due to AI and robotic workers is going to change the world in ways that we can not even imagine. It's not that far off either.

Unfortunately there has been zero public discussion about it so far, and it's just being brought in by stealth, as companies seek to maximise profits before there are no workers earning anything to buy their products.

Perhaps circuses will make a comeback with lifelike robotic animals doing amazing tricks.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's hard to predict. The imminent massive job loss for the poorly educated due to AI and robotic workers is going to change the world in ways that we can not even imagine. It's not that far off either.

Unfortunately there has been zero public discussion about it so far, and it's just being brought in by stealth, as companies seek to maximise profits before there are no workers earning anything to buy their products.

Perhaps circuses will make a comeback with lifelike robotic animals doing amazing tricks.

One prediction!

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Strewth Baerboxer! Fair suck of the sav! Hang as much shit on the Aussies as you want, but leave my Canadian mates out of it! :post-4641-1156693976:

Never met a Canadian I don't like, great bunch of blokes! Oh, and the ladies too. Don't forget the lay-deeezzz... :thumbsup:

Edited by NumbNut
forgot the SMILIES!!!

7 hours ago, Credo said:

It is the end of an era.   They have provided entertainment to millions, but I suppose it is hard to compete with the political circus currently gripping the nation and much of the world.   

Yes there is a political circus in the world today complete with elephants lions and tigers. Yes it is gripping much of the world and yes its an expensive proposition to run like the circus. That is where the poor taxpayer comes into the picture. I hate violence but pacifism is getting us nowhere. There should be enough lamp posts in Washington to handle them all. 

I went a few times as a kid, and much later about 8-9 years ago.

I was very impressed with the entertainment value.   I'm not really into live concerts, various fiascos, etc.

My ex wife was with me,  (Chinese) and she was impressed and enjoyed it.    The price of the tickets were reasonable, forget how much, but I am cheap, and we had good seats in a medium sized arena.

The 'clowns' were kind of contemporary, all I can think of to describe them is 'hip hop' clowns.

It was a good show, and it was apparent they tried hard to keep it fresh. (But it was good)

It's a shame it had to die, but the costs had to be outrageous, as well as the problems dealing with the animal people.

On 1/16/2017 at 0:12 PM, little mary sunshine said:

of them!

Possibly at the graduate level the best university system.  But it's also the most expensive and leaves students the most indebted.

On 1/16/2017 at 11:58 AM, Baerboxer said:

This is so sad. You think life is better or worse for the average Canadian, Australian, and citizens of many of those "tin pot" European countries as compared to life for the average American or citizen of the UK. Look up Gini index and ratings by liveability before you reply. 

On 1/16/2017 at 0:41 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Actually, it isn't just the less educated who are threatened by AI. Lots of editing work formerly done by educated professionals is now being done by AI.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Possibly at the graduate level the best university system.  But it's also the most expensive and leaves students the most indebted.

If you are bright you can get a full or partial scholarship.  If

a low income family <$45,000/ year, you qualify for Pell

Grants, no repayment, Fed Program, also many scholarships

for financial need.    You can attend a Community College

your first two years, only several hundred dollars per semester,

You can work part time pay to this nominal amount.  Many

Medical school Graduates,can work in rural areas for 3-4

years and redeuce their tuition loans substantially.  Many opt

to work fo a Medical Group,that repay their loans as part of

their contract......Lots of ways to attend college in the USA

without going into  mega debt !!!!

in computer science, for decades, medical doctors have been the typical example used to show the promise of what AI will be able to do.  we missed the application for autonomous vehicles.... but the big IBM AI technology already being used in Bangkok is aimed at medical doctors. oncology that I last read, not factory workers.

nursing is a different skill set, and they will move up as well. 

Edited by maewang99