Trip and visa in Phnom Penh

I'm going to visit my Dad in Cambodia and get another visa while I'm down there. He lives in Kam Pot but I think I need to get the visa in Phnom Penh. Does anyone know what the hours are and how I should plan my trip? Before I've just got a taxi straight from Phnom Penh but I guess I need to stay over night and perhaps another day to wait for the visa if it's anything like Vientiane in Laos.

Thanks for any advice you have on this.

1 minute ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Find and use a agent while you are in kampot. They will do all the travel and queuing etc.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

So I can go down there, find an "agent" then wait for them to secure the visa? Do you know if I pickup in Phnom Penh or can I do it all down there? I'd like to not stay in Phnom Penh if I could avoid it.

Thanks for replying. 

Yeah the agent will do it all give to then collect after 4 to 5 days. I personally haven't used a agent in kampot, but last year I hired a motorbike from a back street geezer in Sihanoukville who held my passport for insurance - gulp! He phone his friend and did it all for me, no issues everything went smoothly.
The agents will probably use the same local fixer and add $5 for their cut. Worth it for the hassle saved.

40 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Yeah the agent will do it all give to then collect after 4 to 5 days. I personally haven't used a agent in kampot, but last year I hired a motorbike from a back street geezer in Sihanoukville who held my passport for insurance - gulp! He phone his friend and did it all for me, no issues everything went smoothly.
The agents will probably use the same local fixer and add $5 for their cut. Worth it for the hassle saved.

That's an interesting idea but I don't like the idea of handing over my passport for days to some random guys. Do you mean they actually took your passport to Phnom Penh then brought it back to you? It sounds like you don't actually need to be present to get the visa but that doesn't seem right.

10 minutes ago, genericptr said:

That's an interesting idea but I don't like the idea of handing over my passport for days to some random guys. Do you mean they actually took your passport to Phnom Penh then brought it back to you? It sounds like you don't actually need to be present to get the visa but that doesn't seem right.

Standard Operating Procedure in Cambodia. Read any guidebook and it will tell you the same

16 minutes ago, 007cableguy said:

I'm in PP now handed my passport in last Thursday have to pick it up later today ,They did insist on taking a copy of my flight details out of Thailand!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Damn, really? I was going to leave in June but I don't have a ticket yet. Is that mandatory now? I was just in Laos and didn't have any problems. Did you have lots of back-to-back tourist visas from around the region?

23 minutes ago, 007cableguy said:

I'm in PP now handed my passport in last Thursday have to pick it up later today ,They did insist on taking a copy of my flight details out of Thailand!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

btw, do you know anything about the "express" service/agents Joe mentioned at the top of the thread or did you do this all yourself at the consulate? I'm not so keen on staying there for days and planning the flight out will be a challenge also since I don't know the days.