Thailand Elite

If you are going to tie up 1,000,000 baht for a yearly visa for the rest of your life why not spend the same to get Elite?

What are your thoughts?

Click on the Thailand Elite site on this forum page to read the benefits.

Wow, this chestnut again...

I'm not going to comment, because there's never a shortage of people who will!

If you are going to tie up 1,000,000 baht for a yearly visa for the rest of your life why not spend the same to get Elite?

What are your thoughts?

With the change of visa rules the door is wide open again for fresh discussion.

What are your thoughts?

I think if you search you can see post visa change discussions. It would be good as long as it doesn't get withdrawn - since it was a flagship policy of Mr T.

What are your thoughts?

I think if you search you can see post visa change discussions. It would be good as long as it doesn't get withdrawn - since it was a flagship policy of Mr T.

I know...that is what sort of worries me.

Crossy has a good finger on these things....I wish he would chime in.

I can't be bothered to go through the whole rigmarole on yet another thread (54 is it now SRJ?) on the subject. Do go back through the earlier threads - amongst the dross, there is some good info (I hope I've contributed things worthwhile).

But...

...there were articles in the local press a month or so ago stating that the junta would be specifically reviewing whether to continue or abort the programme over the next two months. I'm still getting my regular emails from TE, and continuing to use their various services without any hassles, but would advise anyone else thinking of joining at this moment to wait until there is some definitive answer from the government.

I'd say that "tying up" a million baht in a deposit is infinitely better as the million is still yours, as opposed to paying it out as a fee for one of Thaksin's flaky programs that never took off and is circling the drain.

With Thailand Elite now a forum sponsor, I doubt that discussion door is as wide open as it was in threads past. :o

I can't be bothered to go through the whole rigmarole on yet another thread (54 is it now SRJ?) on the subject. Do go back through the earlier threads

actually, I believe we're up to 55 threads now on the Elite Card,

as I think this one is 54:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...06&hl=elite

#53 was closed down, but #54 is still open, so I'm not sure why we need a 55th.

:o

Edited by sriracha john

'd say that "tying up" a million baht in a deposit

I've been away for a while.

Could somebody explain this to me , or give me a link.

Cheers

One of my friends just bought a elite card!

Is he stupied? According to almost everyone here the answer must be yes...

But i'm not sure, two weeks ago he got the 5-year visa in his passport and he also got all the bennifits that a elite member get when he arrived in Thailand.

Everyone here asks about visa, on-year, retirement, marrige...

The easy answer is to buy an elite card! (No, i do NOT work for them...)

I think most people that talk against this simply dont have the money to act themselfs, and therefore must talk BS about this to everyone else!

I will probobly buy one myself real soon. Thay is if you guys can not talk me out of it!! Give it a try!!

/ JH

I will probobly buy one myself real soon. Thay is if you guys can not talk me out of it!! Give it a try!!

Translation: I have already decided to spend one million baht on a card unless some anonymous person on this forum can convince me of the error of my ways.

I believe that somebody said something about others talking BS... :o

I met with the Thailand Elite representative today. She was quite honest....after looking at my passport with the Non-IMM multiple entry permit (which I have renewed every year for the past five years) she said the only benefit I would get with the Elite were the perks. Foreigners who were 'grandfathered in' (pre-October 1, 2006 people) would not benefit greatly from the program as they were already entitled to stay in the country. People who were not so well positioned would really be in need of the program under the new regs.

after looking at my passport with the Non-IMM multiple entry permit (which I have renewed every year for the past five years) she said the only benefit I would get with the Elite were the perks.

With that being your situation, what were you actually worrying about in regards the new regulations?

after looking at my passport with the Non-IMM multiple entry permit (which I have renewed every year for the past five years) she said the only benefit I would get with the Elite were the perks.

With that being your situation, what were you actually worrying about in regards the new regulations?

I wanted to reconfirm what I already thought was the case. But the Elite is going to be very attractive to people who otherwise be restricted by the new regs. Also, I wanted to check out the perks in detail and ask some questions.

By the way, in January 2007 the Elite program will have some changes that will make it less desireable.

If I did not have the investment visa I would have considered the thai-elite card BEFORE the coup....

Now, should I not have the investment visa, I would probably just take a "wait and see" position.

As to changes to the TE-program in Jan 07, I recall that she (was it Sandy you met?) mentioned to me in Oct 06 that the card would "probably" increase in price in Nov 06 - nothing happened. Seems to be a sales trick to get you to panic and rush in.

For an avid golfer, or massage fan the card (with current perks) can be earned back fairly quickly.

Cheers!

Just had another look at some of the benefits and in many ways can see the attractions....

If your already in the "System" then probably not really worth it but for say a single person with a bit of dosh who just wants to duck and dive in LOS then it could appear to be not a bad deal. :D

Considering that if you go for and get your extension to stay you still have to declare your annual 800,000 bt (single- no Thai ties) but with nil real benefits apart from the right to own a poxy wee condo up a back ally in Pattaya.......wonderful :o whereas with the bit of plastic......

Thailand Elite streamlines the process of dealing with government regulations and processes with our government concierge service. Whether your needs range from immigration processing to exploring investment opportunities, Thailand Elite can assist you in dealing with the proper government channels in the most efficient manner.

Immigration Service

Thailand Elite Members are automatically entitled to a five-year multiple entry visa that is valid for 90 days each trip and can be extended without having to leave the country as many times as needed. This allows a virtually unlimited length of stay within Thailand.

Members can apply for extensions at any approved location throughout the country and overseas. For most cases, with all the proper documentation available, processing will normally take only one day.

Driver's License

As Thailand does not accept international driver's licenses from overseas, Members wishing to command their own motor vehicle here will need to have a Thai driver's license. Thailand Elite assists Members to make sure they have all the proper documentation and guides them along with the process. This does not exempt the Member from any requisite testing. For most cases, with all the proper documentation available, processing will normally take only one day.

Work Permit

All foreigners working in Thailand are required to have a work permit. Thailand Elite understands the arduous process that getting a work permit entails and streamlines the procedure with our service. We consult with the Member to make sure that all the requisite documentation is at hand and that they go through the process in only the most efficient manner, dealing with the appropriate government departments.

Incid reading the bit ( mentioned in other postings)about "does not accept international drivers licenses from overseas"...

I would read that as "not acceptance of international drivers (national ) licenses from overseas....not the same as.... Internationally recognised "International Driving Licenses" ( or AA-RAC-permits) all in the wording.....init....

Anyone for agame of ELITE Golf.........four :D

I wanted to reconfirm what I already thought was the case. But the Elite is going to be very attractive to people who otherwise be restricted by the new regs. Also, I wanted to check out the perks in detail and ask some questions.

By the way, in January 2007 the Elite program will have some changes that will make it less desireable.

To spare us from all making appointments to talk to an Elite rep, would you care to share what these are with the forum? Or didn't she tell you specifically what changes are coming? Or she did, but she swore you to secrecy?? :o

With Thailand Elite now a forum sponsor, I doubt that discussion door is as wide open as it was in threads past. :o

Probably a good thing looking at some of the vapid posts in previous threads.

Golf fees and massages are already low cost in Thailand. I might take an Elite card if it was offered to me for free, but to pay for it? .....it's not at all my cup of tea. Plus, with the underlying general bias of Thais toward foreigners - particularly toward those who don't reek of money, is another drawback. Last but not least, the Thai gov't is not reliable. Already, in its infancy, the cost and percs for the Elite Card are being tweaked. As the years roll by, who can say whether it will stay as it is, or change ...for better or for worse.

When the card was 1st introduced, it appeared as though farang could legally own property in their name. Awhile later, the 'fine print' revealed that wasn't the case. Dare I say 'bait and switch?' or was it just a case of good intentions revealed to be protectionist biz as usual.

Driver's License: As Thailand does not accept international driver's licenses from overseas

up here in northernmost Thailand, I spent a bunch of time and effort toward getting a Thai drivers license. Major hassles every step of the way - too much to articulate here. Once I got all my papers together and got to the neighboring town to submit to the bureaucrats there, the place was closing in half hour and the teller said, 'sorry, you come back tomolo'.

I insisted on talking to the big cheese and (here's the punchline) He said "You, farang, no need Thai drivers license." I said, "huh?! I thought it was mandatory?" He said with grin, "no, if you just carry passport or photocopy of passport, you ok, no ploblem."

Yikes. As I've been saying all along, everything in Thailand to do with officialdom is subjective. Addendum; the 3 times in 8 years that I've been pulled aside to show drivers license, I've acted dumb and friendly, and wound up getting waved on ...down the road I go - no worse for wear, except my heart was beating a bit faster."

If I did not have the investment visa I would have considered the thai-elite card BEFORE the coup....

Now, should I not have the investment visa, I would probably just take a "wait and see" position.

As to changes to the TE-program in Jan 07, I recall that she (was it Sandy you met?) mentioned to me in Oct 06 that the card would "probably" increase in price in Nov 06 - nothing happened. Seems to be a sales trick to get you to panic and rush in.

For an avid golfer, or massage fan the card (with current perks) can be earned back fairly quickly.

Cheers!

Yes, I met with Sandy. She was not specific about the changes that were due in 2007. As you probably already know a foreigner can buy a condo in a building that is 50+% owned by Thais. I bought a unit in the Athenee Residence which is adjacent to the Plaza Athenee hotel. It will be ready in about a year.