UK's May says final EU exit deal will be put to a vote in parliament

snoop1130

UK's May says final EU exit deal will be put to a vote in parliament

2017-01-17T121542Z_1_LYNXMPED0G0UF_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-EU-MAY.JPG

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Tuesday she would put the final agreement on Britain's exit from the European Union to a vote in parliament.

May said there would have to compromises in the negotiations but it was important to provide "as much certainty as possible" and there would be proper scrutiny.

"When it comes to parliament, there is one other way I would like to provide certainty," she said in a speech in London. "I can confirm today that the government will put the final deal that is agreed between the UK and the EU to a vote in both houses of parliament before it comes into force."

(Reporting by Michael Holden; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-1-17

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

So either really hard brexit or no brexit at all?

Could the parliament push the question back to people with referendum 2.0?

No deal is better than a bad deal. which is the right way to go, maybe we will hear less threats from EU countries about core principals now. The EU has as much to lose as the UK, But the UK will not be dictated to. 

No one wants a second referendum, accept for Stergeon and she will fail at that.  

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

At the moment hard, no or soft is just pie in the sky.

It's nothing until Parliament approves the triggering of Article 50.

The Supreme Court is about to rule against the Government, and compel it to pass an Act of Parliament to trigger Article 50.

There will be no deal to approve unless Parliament votes in favour of the Act.

The result of that vote could take the UK to a very dangerous place indeed.

Hitherto the split in the country, 50/50 as near as damn it, has been Pro-Leave/Pro-Remain.

After the vote it could very well be Pro-Parliament/Anti-Parliament. 

Edited by Enoon

total disaster whole thing they lied to get the win we pay eu 350 million lets put it into our NHS (lie) we will put a points system on immigration like Australia (lie) now knowing this if there was a re vote do you honestly think leave would have the same result when there was only a couple percent in it nope it would be a clear victory for remain. When we do leave which will mess the country up for the next ten years guaranteed look what it's done to the pound already nothing good will come of this but less trade less money and an increase of people without a job, but remember it will be OK for Boris and Nigel who are rich anyway and will always have a job they may even blame the whole thing on someone else

Edited by Nicolas32

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

Heard someone say even if the commons and/or lords did not voter in favour of the final agreement it could still be pushed through.

I think there are many things Europe wants more than the UK, starting off with a clean break gives us an advantage, there are a lot of countries outside the EU wanting to do deals with the UK and if there is no deals on customs union we could be the back door to the EU, particularly if there is no physical border between Southern and Northern Ireland, and Scotland if they stay in Europe.

MP's and Lords will vote as they are told to, if push comes to shove.  This is the ultimate neutering of the EU's threats of reprisals on UK for leaving, but the Dutch sussed the game very nicely when they said ".... the unspoken, big threat from London is creating a tax paradise in front of the gates of Europe," 

The No Deal option is just walk away and stop paying in.  What's to lose?

Edited by jpinx

1 hour ago, jpinx said:

MP's and Lords will vote as they are told to, if push comes to shove.  This is the ultimate neutering of the EU's threats of reprisals on UK for leaving, but the Dutch sussed the game very nicely when they said ".... the unspoken, big threat from London is creating a tax paradise in front of the gates of Europe," 

If the government ministers are correct and nations are lining up to do a FTA , why make threats about becoming a tax haven.

10 hours ago, Enoon said:

At the moment hard, no or soft is just pie in the sky.

It's nothing until Parliament approves the triggering of Article 50.

The Supreme Court is about to rule against the Government, and compel it to pass an Act of Parliament to trigger Article 50.

There will be no deal to approve unless Parliament votes in favour of the Act.

The result of that vote could take the UK to a very dangerous place indeed.

Hitherto the split in the country, 50/50 as near as damn it, has been Pro-Leave/Pro-Remain.

After the vote it could very well be Pro-Parliament/Anti-Parliament. 

No. It was democratically voted 52-48 to leave the EU, not "50/50 Pro-Leave/Pro Remain". There was also no vote for "Hard" or "Soft" Brexit, it was a vote for remain or leave.

Also, parliament is subordinate to the British people, therefore a referendum, a direct vote by the people, trumps parliament IMHO.

Parliament also approved the referendum in the first place. Don't forget, 100% of the eligible population were invited to vote, so the losers can't complain.

Most of the negative comments on Brexit are just sour grapes, wishful thinking or out and out lies.

Edited by jesimps

EU are getting nasty with the thinking where are we going to find the £9/10billion every year the UK pay into this farce they call a union. I've been to the Baltics, Rumania, Bulgaria etc ..We have nothing in common with these countries ...

Edited by rmacee

1 hour ago, jpinx said:

What would that Tax haven actually mean? Tax haven for whom?  Financial sector? Importing/exporting?

What about UK national tax income, which pays for common services for ordinary people?

13 minutes ago, oilinki said:

What would that Tax haven actually mean? Tax haven for whom?  Financial sector? Importing/exporting?

What about UK national tax income, which pays for common services for ordinary people?

Maybe wikipedia will help with a definition and examples of what a taxhaven is

1 minute ago, jpinx said:

Maybe wikipedia will help with a definition and examples of what a taxhaven is

Perhaps. But as you were so happy about it and know the UK situation better than I do, please tell me what it means to UK.

11 hours ago, Nicolas32 said:

total disaster whole thing they lied to get the win we pay eu 350 million lets put it into our NHS (lie) we will put a points system on immigration like Australia (lie) now knowing this if there was a re vote do you honestly think leave would have the same result when there was only a couple percent in it nope it would be a clear victory for remain. When we do leave which will mess the country up for the next ten years guaranteed look what it's done to the pound already nothing good will come of this but less trade less money and an increase of people without a job, but remember it will be OK for Boris and Nigel who are rich anyway and will always have a job they may even blame the whole thing on someone else

Or maybe the Russians hacked into the system to sway the vote. Another whinger that won't accept a democratic vote.

Den

46 minutes ago, jesimps said:

No. It was democratically voted 52-48 to leave the EU, not "50/50 Pro-Leave/Pro Remain". There was also no vote for "Hard" or "Soft" Brexit, it was a vote for remain or leave.

Also, parliament is subordinate to the British people, therefore a referendum, a direct vote by the people, trumps parliament IMHO.

Parliament also approved the referendum in the first place. Don't forget, 100% of the eligible population were invited to vote, so the losers can't complain.

Most of the negative comments on Brexit are just sour grapes, wishful thinking or out and out lies.

Can you show me, where in the legislation, i.e. the Act, that enabled the referendum it stated that the winning margin was simple first past the post? 

The Act did say the referendum was advisory only. Not binding, not specific on any terms of exit and certainly not above or beyond parliamentary process.

Parliament is not subordinate to a direct vote by the people. The UK is a representative constitutional monarchy. Look up how government in the UK should work and how the Tories are trying to set dangerous precedents in ignoring due process.

It is only right that Parliament should have the final say fact is the UK was split between those who wanted to leave 51.9% and those who wanted to remain 48.1%. that leave a lot of people who wanted to remain and not as conclusive as the remain side would like to have everyone think.

It seemed to me the leave side were the ones with the biggest mouth who shouted the loudest whereas the rest and the ones who didn't understand or give a toss just went along with it.

The pound has now devalued by about 15% - 20% resulting in increased prices wit a lot more to come and a fall in living standards for those affected.

Once it begins to bite and the people start to realise what leaving the EU means to them personally I believe if there was another referendum the result would be totally different.

From what I have heard the only reason an awful lot of people voted to leave was to have some control over immigration so that to me is what the negotiations should be about there would be a lot of countries sympathetic to reforming the EU's rules on immigration if that could be achieved then I feel another referendum would achieve an overwhelming and decisive victory for remain.

Whatever happens one thing is certain it will never please everybody.

31 minutes ago, Bannoi said:

It is only right that Parliament should have the final say fact is the UK was split between those who wanted to leave 51.9% and those who wanted to remain 48.1%.

I don't necessarily disagree, but it wouldn't have had a say if the 52/48% vote had been a general election.

6 hours ago, rmacee said:

EU are getting nasty with the thinking where are we going to find the £9/10billion every year the UK pay into this farce they call a union. I've been to the Baltics, Rumania, Bulgaria etc ..We have nothing in common with these countries ...

EU is not only Baltics, Rumania, Bulgaria etc. read in the financial times yesterday about some uk companies that have production in both uk and holland and Germany producing car and aircraft parts, they are in the process of expanding but put it on hold after Brexit. They need to hire to be able to deliver signed orders but said if they expand in UK they need to hire more office staff to clear the paper work so at moment they consider to close in UK and move all production to EU since the mayority of production goes there. Also they were worried of hiring engineers after Brexit since it's a shortage of qualified people in UK. Another article mentioned health care since a lot of staff is from EU countries and if they have to leave it will worsen the situation. So it's not only good to leave EU including the question what happen with UK workers in EU if they have to return home? 

21 hours ago, oilinki said:

Contradictory statement if ever there was one.  May claiming that the people want certainty and then announcing there will be a vote in parliament which makes the whole deal uncertain.  I know she is trying to find her way but it doesn't fill anyone with any confidence 

Go Bresxit go!  The quicker the better.  Britain was paying way to much to the EU for what it got back.    Also with the type of government policy for the unemployed, especially the newly settled new residents from other  parts of Europe who flocked to England, Scotland and even Northern Ireland for the easy dole, as out of hand.    I hope that Britain has learned before it is too late, that to stay joined to the EU is just as much a mistakes as leaving when the economy is bad.  Give it 4 to 5 years and I think the Islands will be stronger and hopefully wiser.  Just my opinion

Geezer

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Go Bresxit go!  The quicker the better.  Britain was paying way to much to the EU for what it got back.    Also with the type of government policy for the unemployed, especially the newly settled new residents from other  parts of Europe who flocked to England, Scotland and even Northern Ireland for the easy dole, as out of hand.

I hope that Britain has learned before it is too late, that to stay  joined to the EU is just as much a mistakes as leaving when the economy is bad.  Give it 4 to 5 years and I think the Islands will be stronger and hopefully wiser.  Just my opinion

Geezer

Also we didn't pay in more than we got back. certain industries like farming have been propped up by EU subsides...

Easy dole? immigrants, even EU ones cannot claim benefits straight away, also you think people want to live on £60 pounds a week? 

yes I am a remainer, but I've accepted its going to happen, but May's policies are ill thought out, and she's making a pact with the devil. 

I wonder how long it will take for our NHS to be sold off to Yank big Pharma...