German court rules neo-Nazi NPD is no threat to democracy

webfact

German court rules neo-Nazi NPD is no threat to democracy

Chris Cummins

606x341_355247.jpg

KARLSRUHE: -- Germany’s constitutional court ruled against banning the far-right NPD party saying it represents no threat to democracy.

The court agreed, however, that the NPD resembled the Nazi party and violated the constitution, but was in no position to govern.

The 16 German federal states wanted a ban on the NPD amid fears of a rise in far-right popularity following the arrival of large numbers of migrants.

Malu Dreyer, President of the Bundesrat spoke following the ruling :“Even if the ban was not pushed through, the constitutional court did confirm the anti-constitutional nature of the NPD. So the efforts of the trial as pursued by the federal states were of great importance and I can only thank the interior ministers for their painstaking work that made this process possible in the first place.”

The NPD lacks support across the country with the anti-migrant Alternative for Germany picking up the far-right vote.

A number of groups have condemned the courts decision calling it a retrograde step and a victory for intolerance.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-18

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Errr, Excuse me folks, isn't how Nazism came to power back in e 30' when

the NSDAP party gain majority and in January 1933 Hitler named Reich chancellor?

Am I missing something here?.....

Sorry...I can't understand your message. The meaning is unclear.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

the NSDAP party gain majority and in January 1933 Hitler named Reich chancellor?

Nope. Research how the NSDAP actually came to power. It wasn't with a majority.

But banning anyone who is not to someone else's liking isn't the way to deal with them.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

The NSDAP came to power when Hindenburg, the then German President of the Weimar Republic, made the freshly naturalized Hitler chancellor (Reichskanzler), quite likely believing him to just come and go like half a score of chancellors in those difficult times had before him. NSDAP, while still a minority party, then successfully usurped real power with the "Ermächtigungsgesetz" (Empowerment Act or something), that effectively ousted parliament from making any real decisions and handed what de facto where legislative powers to administration, i.e. the executive branch. That's why in a healthy democracy you have "checks and balances" between parliament (legislative), administration (executive, government itself), and the courts (judicative). Courts did not play much of a role back then anymore, they tailored their emergency "laws" in a way they could do whatever they wanted, there were only show trials afterwards, even when the system generally speaking kept on going with administrative stuff and civil lawsuits. They did pass a good couple of well-made, workable laws back then which still are in power in modern Germany, after some cosmetic changes; by which I am not saying the Nazis did some good work, it was only life going on despite everything else.

The parliamentary system of the Weimar Republic was in many aspects built round the President as a central figure, so Hindenburg (a former General and war hero from WW I) had real power and could do a lot of things, like inaugurate a chancellor even without a majority support in Reichstag (parliament) or dissolve parliament. It partially is still the same in Austria, that is why there was such an upheaval over the direct elections last year, ending with Green Von-der-Bellen (Greens barely have anyone in Austrian parliaments) , where there is a tacit agreement the President should not actually use some of his powers.

The Weimar phase is likened to a "presidential dictatorship" with a view what back then the President could do; e.g. nominate Hitler Reichskanzler.