Aposille Stamp

hocuspocus

I need to get a document signed/witnessed and certified with an Apostille stamp. I am aware that the Apostille stamp is part of the Haigh Convention and Thailand is not party to the Haigh Convention. I can travel back to the UK and get this done but I do not want to travel back to the UK right now. So what I am asking is that is there an Embassy or Consulate in Chiang Mai (maybe USA) that is party to the Haigh Convention that would do this for me, given that I am from the UK? Thanks in Advance.     Keith

The only answer that is 100% accurate is 'it depends'.. It often comes down to who the party who requires it is and what thier standard is. 

As someone whose had to provide certified documents to the UK, which is what it sounds like you need, thats never been an issue. Lawyers etc can certify things here as a true copy and for that standard its been fine. I have a number of a lawyer / police officer who can do this cheaply. 

The issue is when requiring notarized standard and particularly for the USA. That caused me grief and I had to go to bangkok in the end. 

If for non crucial things certified has worked, if this is on some mega value cant get it wrong legal case, then you will need to be sure the needs of the person / organisation its destined for. 

I have gone through the Notary stamp process for this document with a Thai Notary Lawyer, but this was not good enough for the document requested by a Greek Insurance company. They are demanding that the document has an Apostille stamp. Possibly this can be done in Bangkok but I want to try in Chiang Mai before I go to Bangkok (assuming it can be done there).

1 hour ago, hocuspocus said:

So what I am asking is that is there an Embassy or Consulate in Chiang Mai (maybe USA) that is party to the Haigh Convention that would do this for me, given that I am from the UK? Thanks in Advance.     Keith

tough luck Keith. the nearest jurisdictions where you find a notary that is empowered to certify and fix an apostille to a document are Brunei and Macau.

In a similar situation I provided my UK lawyers with Power of Attorney (POA).  I printed their emailed POA (draft) and had it witnessed by Chiang Mai's Australian JP (acceptable under International law / Hague Convention).  

DHL delivered originals back to UK.

My UK law firm then acquired the Apostille stamped docs via London and forwarded originals to Athens for court approval.

It could pay to make further inquiries about your situation to save the expense of an o/s trip.

• 6 months later...

Hi

Can I ask how you completed the process.  My father lives in Chiang Mai and we are sorting out POA for Malta, we have completed signing and Notary in Chiang Mai and had the form Legalised by Thai Consulate in Malta and now just need the Apostle element completed.

I think all that needs is to present to Department of Consultar Affairs passport office.  

Is this what you did

Thanks

Liz

On 8/6/2017 at 5:51 PM, Somnambulist said:

I needed an Apostille thingy last year when I sold a piece of real estate that's in Nicaragua.  YOu have to do it in person and the closest place to get it was Hong Kong, or Macau.  So I hopped on a direct flight from Chiang Mai and got it done.  

a third alternative is Brunei.