Thai man with altered police ticket says online: "No wonder everybody hates the police"

webfact

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I don't live in BKK and I don't ride a motorbike, but how does not having registration equate to 6 misdemeanors?   What is the "normal" fine for not having registration?

Did you not read the op? No helmet. No registration plate. No papers. Driving  the wrong way down a one way street. Not paying bribe the first time. Not paying bribe the second time.

Serves him right?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, rhythmworx said:

This is why they have to "lure" tourists into the country.

If they can do that to a fellow man what hope does a farang have?

Yeah, we have a terrible life and it´s all sooo bad for us. Get a life! The differens is that most of us are smart enough to not argue with the police, and just pay the bill. Ops! Problem solved!

5 hours ago, jonclark said:

It has been aparent for some considerable time the the police and unable t9 police themselves. Perhaps a brave future government should remove the power of the police to physically collect fine money. If fined the offender pays the fine to a different legal entity. The police enforce the law but never collect the fine. 

What a load of shit. Most fines if you go to the police station are a minimum of 200 baht. If you give the cop fineing you 100 baht they let you get on your way. This happens about 80% of the time.

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Meanwhile serious offences are being committed daily, but based on who you are, nary a finger is lifted. It's all still a$$ backards.

That is just nonsense, serious crimes are constantly being investigated and punishments meted out by the way of fines, imprisonment and frequently asset seizures.

The one time they (the police) could have got it right, they still manage to #$%k it up.  Driving down the wrong side of the road, no plates, no papers and no helmet.  Sounds like they were being fair in this instance.  But then they decide to try and get more than what was on the ticket.  

The one thing I have always said here is that the police don't care about anything except helmets.  The truth be that if someone doesn't wear a helmet, they will only hurt or kill themselves.  They are not endangering others, however this seems to be the biggest concern for the police.  Now they could and I use this term loosely because it will never happen, make more money by enforcing all the other road rules.  Driving my daughter to school this week I decided to see how much I would make in fines.  It is a 30 min drive in both directions (1 hour total).  In that hour I would have made close to 100,000 baht in 500 baht fines.  This was made up from no helmets, driving on the wrong side of the road, dangerous driving, speeding, crossing double lines, overloading bikes, not giving way and failing to stop at red lights.  Now that 100,000 was just me and what I saw.  Some of these occurred in front of police as it was school time and they did nothing.  If the entire station was out patrolling and enforcing these laws, how much would they collect in fines?  Makes much more sense than just collecting helmet fines.  The police could then use this for extra training, extra staff, community building all while making the roads safer and saving lives etc etc.  However we will never see this in Thailand because they don't think like we do or have much business sense.  The truth is even those in higher positions including those right at the top running the country are useless morons in uniforms.

Most of you are missing the point ! Ask yourself this question?  If you received at ticket for an offence and you went to pay your fine and it was doubled with out explanation,  Would cop it sweet or ask why it has doubled?  ps the extra violations mentioned are not the point whether true or fabricated.

Thats a great idea.Put the fine collecting out to an independent company,like a debt collecting agency.

They come to your house,ask you for the money and if you cant/dont pay,then they beat the crap out of you.Of course you have to sign a form,saying that you have received the beating of your own free will,and the debt collectors will be exonerated of any further complications that may arise from the beating.

Win,win situation :biggrin:

6 hours ago, z42 said:

I think the most surprising thing about this story is that there is no mention of defamation, computer crimes act, or some RTP organ grinder talking about tarnishing the police's image......

Yeah,..exactly, they do a pretty good job in tarnishing there image them selves !!!

23 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

What a load of shit. Most fines if you go to the police station are a minimum of 200 baht. If you give the cop fineing you 100 baht they let you get on your way. This happens about 80% of the time.

Think you read what he was saying wrong.  He was stating that this is what should happen, not what was being done.  

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I disagree.. but that is my opinion, i have seen what a-holes people can be and how they can go ballistic when they get a fine and totally get uncooperative. In that case they deserve what they get. 

I respect your opinion. But have to disagree especially as the police are (and I think you too have agreed with this point in past posts) a bunch of corrupt individuals.  This arbitrary ability for corrupt police to increase the fine as they dislike your attitude is simply wrong on all levels.

But each to his or her own. 

40 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

?????

3 hours ago, rocketron57 said:

When it says  "registration papers" are they referring to the tax disk or the log book?  I don't carry the book with me on my motorbike, hope I'm not breaking the law.

My genuine registration documents are at home but I have scanned them onto my computer and carry a copy on the motorbike, including the tax disc.

19 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

If you don't complain then the fine usually goes the opposite way- 500 then 200 finally 100. 

This is true  -  wife no seat belt when I rolled into a road block - they write 400baht ticket and hold my license - I drive straight to the cop shop to pay - they had to call him in on the radio to bring in my License.  Because I said I was wrong and wanted to pay right away they lowered it to 100baht and gave me a receipt too.

6 hours ago, z42 said:

I think the most surprising thing about this story is that there is no mention of defamation, computer crimes act, or some RTP organ grinder talking about tarnishing the police's image......

Yet..........................

In a well known tourist city in Thailand, I was in a right turn lane at the traffic lights. As is usual in Thailand, cars, especially four wheel drives, use the lane even if they are going straight on. So myself and another motorcycle moved forward and out of the way for the cars behind us.

Before the lights changed, a policeman came out of his box, waved the motorcycle on who was in front of me(with Chinese types on), but beckoned me to go over to the police box. 

When I got there, one of his colleagues told me to go inside the box.

First thing he asked for was my licence. I produced my IDP. The idiot looked at the date on the licence and declared it expired. I didn't bother to explain to him that the date on the front was the start date....as I already knew that he was not getting a single baht from me.

He also stated that I stopped beyond the line at the lights. I stated that it was clear that I moved out of the way for the cars behind me and anyway, why did he wave the bike in front on me, with Chinese tourists, on.

He ignored the question.

He then produced a sheet, stated 1000 baht for no licence etc and asked me if I wanted a ticket. I told him that he was getting nothing. Not even 1 baht.

Soon after, another policeman entered the box, wherein they actually started distributing cash. The crook handed what looked like 3600 baht to the other policeman.

Then the other policeman smiled and left, thinking they would soon have another 1000 baht to add to their coffers.

So the crook wrote out a ticket and told me that I had to go to the police station immediately to pay it.

I said no. If i have to pay, I will pay within seven days and not before I speak to a friend.

He said no, you are on a rental bike, you have to pay now. I said no, I will not pay anything before I speak to my friend. At that point I took a picture of his badge. He took a picture of the helmet that came with my rental and a picture of the ticket he just issued. Methinks he was in a panic.

He asked the name of my friend and whether he was stationed in that city. I told him the name and location. He went quiet. I then picked up all of my things and rode away from the idiot. 

After dinner, I stopped at the police box to see if he still had a problem. He didn't emerge.

Names withheld to protect the guilty. 

Edited by JamJar

4 hours ago, rocketron57 said:

When it says  "registration papers" are they referring to the tax disk or the log book?  I don't carry the book with me on my motorbike, hope I'm not breaking the law.

Never mind the law, if your bike gets stolen and the green book is on it, the thief could easily sell it.

Carry a copy of the book on your bike.

53 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I respect your opinion. But have to disagree especially as the police are (and I think you too have agreed with this point in past posts) a bunch of corrupt individuals.  This arbitrary ability for corrupt police to increase the fine as they dislike your attitude is simply wrong on all levels.

But each to his or her own. 

Not arbitrary, there are fine ranges available.. they can't go over the max fine of the law.  And I agree that the cops are corrupt but as long as they stay within the law (and they did in this case) I dont see  a problem. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I disagree.. but that is my opinion, i have seen what a-holes people can be and how they can go ballistic when they get a fine and totally get uncooperative. In that case they deserve what they get. 

One thing I do have a gripe with is the Thai law which says one loan policeman can stop you, and fine you, no one should ever be charged on one mans word, that gives the bad cops ( and I know they are not all bad) the opportunity to demand tea money from you.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Confirming that the incident happened on Wednesday morning the chief said that the patrol had seen the man going the wrong way down a road, with no helmet and no license plate.

My how the story changes. I see no helmets all over the place but I guess its the law when it suits the law. When you have a book of rules dating back 150 years I guess its easy to build a pyramid case against someone like the number of decks of cards you can have at a bridge game. I am really surprised to even see a cop out at night. Here they roll up the rug at sunset and head home. When you make the rules your within your right to change them I guess. Maybe the police should issue a rule program so we can get a handle on things. 

Edited by elgordo38

7 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I don't live in BKK and I don't ride a motorbike, but how does not having registration equate to 6 misdemeanors?   What is the "normal" fine for not having registration?

6 misdemeanors is called a topping up effect. The icing on the cake. The warning is "pay the fine the next time don't fight the "law"" You know the song "I fought the law and the law won"