Sawan Daen Din - anything interesting there?

zxc

• 5 weeks later...
On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 9:20 PM, jones444 said:

hi I live in sawang daen din as the other  people say nothing much here a tesco kfc and mk for food. very famous temple about half an hour away people come in their thousands to see it.

Give the temple at Baan Kam Chanot a wide berth .... it's horrible.

I stayed at the Chomdao Resort a few years back while attending a friend's wedding but that has now been neglected and in urgent need of TLC. The hotel and restaurant that Dreamrider mentioned earlier is excellent.

2 hours ago, Patriot said:

Give the temple at Baan Kam Chanot a wide berth .... it's horrible.

I stayed at the Chomdao Resort a few years back while attending a friend's wedding but that has now been neglected and in urgent need of TLC. The hotel and restaurant that Dreamrider mentioned earlier is excellent.

Could Patriot pm me reference his comment about temple at Baan Kam Chanot. We're off on our monthly Isaan trip leaving Monday and I had planned on calling in there en route from Bueng Kan to Udon. Maybe you can give me a few more details in a personal mail which may seem inappropriate on the open forum.

Thanks

4 hours ago, yosib157 said:

Could Patriot pm me reference his comment about temple at Baan Kam Chanot. We're off on our monthly Isaan trip leaving Monday and I had planned on calling in there en route from Bueng Kan to Udon. Maybe you can give me a few more details in a personal mail which may seem inappropriate on the open forum.

Thanks

everybody has there own opinion about certain places. I'm not struck on the temple myself but as I said thousands visit there ever week. go and visit yourself and make your own mind up its free to get in.but be prepared for long queues. 

If you don't mind going a little further to Ban Dung there are a lot of restaurants there, a few bars there also, but hidden in some side streets, although I have only stopped at one that I frequent for a burger and a couple of beers, the owner Gordon (Aussie) and his mate Allen (UK) are always up for a yarn, you will also see other farangs from all over the globe joining in on various discussions, good atmosphere, no girls though, next stop for girls is Udon Thani.

Recommend Tiger bar  if you like getting out twice a week as I do, (closed Tuesday's), weeknights usually starts to kick off around 6.00pm but is open from around 10am if you want daytime, it is located on the corner directly opposite the hospital the corner of the commencement of the hospital if that makes sense, on the main drag, as for Sawang Daen Din only for shopping.

Edited by 4MyEgo

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2017 at 8:55 AM, Thanyaburi Mac said:

For some fun, do a Google for:  bird's paradise skydive

Mac

I have seen this advertised on the internet and in web travel guides. However, I have yet to locate it or find a local who has heard of it or knows where it is. So don't expect too much.

On 2/20/2017 at 5:43 AM, DreamRider said:

Try the restaurant at the Chuanthanapanya Hotel about a kilometre down the Son Dao road. Great food and the "I Tatti"esque garden is superb. 

Food there is mediocre and very slow service. The two best restaurants in town are Bongan and Blue Coast. Both relatively newly opened but excellent food and English speaking staff.

Directions to Bird's Paradise here:

http://www.thaiskydiving.com/gettinghere.html

Driving Directions

Location Saimun Airfield, Sawangdaendin, Sakon Nakorn Province, Thailand.
GPS Coordinate N 017°31'19",E103°32'56"

From Udon Thani
Take Thai Super Highway 22 east toward Sakon Nakorn for about 80 kilometers east to Sawangdaendin. 
Go through Sawangdaendin and notice the kilometer marker posts as you drive out of town. 
Drive to kilometer 85 and take the next available left turn (north) at the 3-way intersection for Ban Tao Hai. There is also a sign for Saimun Airport.

From Sakon Nakorn
Take Thai Super Highway 22 west toward Udon Thani. Notice the kilometer marker posts along the highway.
Pass through Phan Kohn (has a Toyota Dealership) at around km post 107. Continue to km post 86.
After km post 86, go another 800 meters and turn right (north) at the 3-way intersection for Ban Tao Hai. There is also a sign for Saimun Airport.

On the Road to Ban Tao Hai and Saimun Airport

Follow the country road for about seven kilometers through five small villages. Please drive slowly, politely, and very carefully. The surface is paved but sometimes very rough. You will almost certainly have to slow down or stop for farming activity, people, children, and animals that block the road day and night.

Several signs along the way will lead you to the airport. As you approach, you will see a long gardened wall with a guard gate on the right-hand side of the road marking the entrance to the resort. Please turn in. Welcome!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd be interested, curious, if the skydiving is still going on.

Mac

16 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

Food there is mediocre and very slow service. The two best restaurants in town are Bongan and Blue Coast. Both relatively newly opened but excellent food and English speaking staff.

Where approximately are these two restaurants bruv??