One seriously injured after explosion on yacht

webfact

BREAKING NEWS: One seriously injured after explosion on yacht

Phuket Gazette 

pkt2.jpeg  

One man is reported to be in critical condition. Photo: Kongleaphy Keam

PHUKET: Two men were injured after a fire extinguisher exploded inside a yacht at Boat Lagoon about 2pm today.

The yacht, named Serenity, is on the hardstand at the marina for repairs.

Both men, who are employees of Marine Engineering Co, were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where one is reported to be in critical condition.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/BREAKING-NEWS-One-seriously-injured-explosion-yacht/66159?desktopversion#ad-image-1

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-01-20

21 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

And in the proper bottle it would require a lot of heat.The suspicion here is that they are blaming the fire extinguisher.

And it is the extinguisher that ChrisY1 and natway09 are talking about as well.

On 1/20/2017 at 6:53 PM, ChrisY1 said:

Don't understand this really...extinguishers can explode, usually CO2 type as they're under pressure....but the unit would either need to have been ruptured accidently, or over heated.

Or the darn thing was an original Vietnam war era issue and just ruptured.  But they really aren't under very much operational pressure I believe max is about 140 PSI. Now that is not trivial as 90 psi is about all you will normally see in a car or truck garage.  I can imagine some fragmentation an shrapnel damage if the cylinder would just spontaneously fail due to age or structural failure, but I would expect if it simply corroded due to age or salt water or humidity it would leak as it failed and the explosion would be a bit subdued.