an old vehicle import

gilkouk

Hi  My wife is Thai and i spend around 6 months of the year with her at the moment , i have heart medical problems that are being treated here in the UK .

I would like to import my faithful old volvo s40  that is 16 years old , but still going strong , at the moment the number plate reg is worth more than the car (aprox £400 ) , would anybody have any idea if it would be feasibley possible to import the car over to Thailand.  thanks in advance for any advice   Gilkouk    

I read somewhere that one guy brought over a land-rover, but other than that the consensus seems to be its not worth the bother, as if you did bring it across, you might never get to use it in Thailand. For the cost of shipping it across you could buy an old banger here.

http://www.one2car.com/volvo/s40/?min_year=2000&max_year=2005&sort=modification_date_search.desc

I investigated this about 2 years ago with a sinmilar car. With the car in my wifes name and owed for more than 1 year it was legally possible but my son-in-law advised against it, because it was a prestige make and customs are so corrupt that it was probable that it would be conficated for the use of a customsemployee. I andonned the idea.

1 hour ago, Maybole said:

I investigated this about 2 years ago with a sinmilar car. With the car in my wifes name and owed for more than 1 year it was legally possible but my son-in-law advised against it, because it was a prestige make and customs are so corrupt that it was probable that it would be conficated for the use of a customsemployee. I andonned the idea.

I think I read somewhere even that avenue is closed now.