Navy torpedoes appeal for Phuket beach sun loungers to return

rooster59

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

Thanks for sharing - interesting information!

I'm still trying to get my head around the numbers, though.  600K to Patong Municipality, plus 2 Burmese guys at lets say 500/day each comes to an annual operating cost of just under 1 million baht (965,000 baht). The plastic loungers cost about 1,500 each (which would be amortized over time). Umbrellas - not sure of the cost, but the cost of the plastic tables used back in the day was negligible. Back then,  2 sunbeds, a table and an umbrella could be rented for about 250 baht/day.

So, just to break even, they'd need to rent out at least 20 sunbeds per day, every day. This is without considering any equipment costs.  I can recall many low seasons when they'd be lucky to rent out 10 all day, but I guess high seasons must have more than made up for that. 

My guess is that the real money was in selling beer and soda.

Agree.  Refreshments would be on top.  Not sure how that all worked.

She had the spot for about 5 years, so a one time cost for chairs.  Umbrellas donated by beer company or bank.  20 per day would be 1.825 million gross.  Beach boys daily wage thb 500 (for both) is 182.5k annually.  This was before 300 min wage came into effect.  They also skimmed and probably got a drinks commish.  Minus rent is a million profit, give or take.

Not saying 20 per day was her average annually.  Less in wet months, but I doubt she paid the Beach boy's on days they didn't work.

For those that paid rent upfront, the Navy coming in must have been their worst nightmare.  Doubt any refunds were forthcoming.  Sand beds and the Mayor complaining were probably their last hopes.

18 hours ago, GiantFan said:

Agree.  Refreshments would be on top.  Not sure how that all worked.

She had the spot for about 5 years, so a one time cost for chairs.  Umbrellas donated by beer company or bank.  20 per day would be 1.825 million gross.  Beach boys daily wage thb 500 (for both) is 182.5k annually.  This was before 300 min wage came into effect.  They also skimmed and probably got a drinks commish.  Minus rent is a million profit, give or take.

Not saying 20 per day was her average annually.  Less in wet months, but I doubt she paid the Beach boy's on days they didn't work.

For those that paid rent upfront, the Navy coming in must have been their worst nightmare.  Doubt any refunds were forthcoming.  Sand beds and the Mayor complaining were probably their last hopes.

Not so sure if now its the right time to start up your beach chair umbrella rental business.Do keep us posted with the progress all the best??