Sleep Apnea Treatment Bangkok

donaldinho9

You should start thinking about a machine and thailand charges about double the USA prices.

I just bought a factory sealed run out model resmed for 20 K all up through UPS

Pm me If your test is positive for details on how to get a cheap machine

Have had a machine (3) for the past 15+ years and travel everywhere with it,

Changed and preserved my life. My wife happy as she now sleeps properly too, not cat napping, waiting for me to stop breathing.

Noise is minimal on the newer machines.

An added bonus is that, just like Pavlov's dog, the minute you put the nasal mask on you start dropping off.

The problems are easy to get past and persevere for a week and you will be OK.

However have not researched any operation so would be keen to hear about it, out of interest

1 hour ago, donaldinho9 said:

Sorry I'm not going for the machine. Don't want to have to use that the rest of my life to sleep, plus it's noisy and uncomfortable for my partner. Hence the surgery.

I had the surgery around 20 years ago in the USA.  Roto-rootered my tonsils and hangy down thingy (uvula, for those who care).  That's 6 months after they straightened out my deviated septum and trimmed back my turbinates.  Didn't work- either one.  But they were pleased to give them a shot and take my insurance money.

I should note that I'm not obese so that wasn't a potential issue in deciding on the best course(s) of action.

And, as a bonus, 20 years on I still struggle with food and drink going down the wrong pipe and causing pretty regular bouts of bronchitis.

Kind of makes the machine sound better, eh?

I was diagnosed with hypopnea, not as bad as apnea, and tried the machine for awhile (thankfully bought with insurance)...the results were not good as there was no significant improvement to the 2 - 3hrs sleep per night, 3 - 4hrs max...

then I tried melatonin and was getting 4 - 5hrs but that's only a temporary fix...

the ideal scenario is to sleep when yer body indicates that sleep is needed which gets buggered about when there are work schedules to consider ie, working is bad fer yer health...

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate any and all insight into the matter! Really would like to know if anyone has or knows anyone who has had treatment done here in Bangkok specifically. When/where/cost/outcome? Thanks very much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone I have heard from has gone for the machine, which most people find works well (assuming they have sleep apnea to begin with, which if you haven't yet had a sleep study cannot be assumed).

Surgery may be beneficial if there are specific problems present such as nasal polyps, deviated septum, enlarged adenoids, and enlarged turbinates (all of which would need to be diagnosed by an ENT) -- though in the case of polyps medication should be tried first.

Most people with sleep apnea do not have such causes present, however but rather the obstruction is occurring at the back of the throat. Surgery ifor that s generally considered a last resort.

Aside from CPAP, there are dental appliances that sometimes help, though it depends on where in the airway the obstruction is occurring and its severity.

See https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/sleep-apnea

I had a sleep study done at Bangkok Christian hospital.

10K for the study, then 10 for titration.  They could have done it all in one night but wanted to check for some other things given my history (neurosurgery).

The results, according to them, were moderate to severe apnea.  50 events an hour (AHI).  However a second opinion I got via an american doctor suggested that although the testing was accurate, their interpretation of the results wasn't quite in line with western thinking as my events didn't coincide with significant oxygen destaturations.  They would have labeled it mild/moderate.

Nevertheless, both concurred that CPAP would be the optimal solution.  So I bought a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset from a seller on Facebook (new) for about £700.  More than one would pay in america or elsewhere, but pretty much the going rate over here.  You can't legally order them from the states anyway.

The result is my AHI is now 0.5 - 1.5 most nights. You can use Sleepyhead to monitor the therapy as long as your machine is data compatible.

From what Ive read on the matter, surgery is rarely advised and often either doesn't work or needs to be repeated later on, unless your case is extremely mild.

I find sleeping with the Resmed fine and use the Dreamwear mask, which has the nose routed out of the top headpiece rather than the nose so I can twist and turn all i like during the night.

Whatever you do don't ignore the condition, it kind be fatal if left untreated.