American grandchildren seek Vietnam War era Thai sweetheart online

webfact

American grandchildren seek Vietnam War era Thai sweetheart online

a4.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- The grandchildren of a US serviceman from the Vietnam War are seeking a Thai woman after the couple fell in love but had to part.

Before Larry Fravel died he produced a photograph of his Thai sweetheart who he met while stationed at the U-Tapao military air base in Chonburi.

He told his relatives that he fell in love with her and was sorry that they never married. He had had to come back to America after his tour and never saw her again, reports Sanook.

Now the relatives want to contact the woman - who would be around seventy years old if still alive - to tell her that Larry thought about her his whole life and still loved her.

Their picture was posted on the Facebook page of Roads Go Ever On.

The woman or her relatives were asked to contact that site. If they preferred not to contact the family they were asked to contact admin so that this could be communicated.

The picture was believed to have been taken sometime between 1962 and 1972. The romantic story has been widely shared across social media.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-23

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Now the relatives want to contact the woman - who would be around seventy years old if still alive - to tell her that Larry thought about her his whole life and still loved her.

Must have been nice for the mother of his children...

6 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Just one of many sad stories of similar happenings during the war. A lot were born in Viet Nam of American fathers and I think they are discriminated against by their own people. The spigot opens and your seed is tossed upon the wind. 

Thanks, but I didn't really need so 'visual' a metaphor...

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Must have been nice for the mother of his children...

I suspect she had no idea ... Many such stories emerged after WWII also. The relationships of our youth often hold more significance than they would otherwise merit. Add to that the stress and uncertainty of war and the exoticness of someone from another culture, and you have a recipe for a lifelong 'obsession' with someone. That doesn't mean you tell people who come into your life later on or that it even restricts your feelings for them...

Would the family not be able to cut the time frame down based on his rank?

I hope that she is alive so that his family can find out more about their dad.

Remember most servicemen do not talk about what happened during the war until near the end of their lives.

I am sure this is something that his wife knew about although he may not have told her how much.

Anyway it is kind of nice that they are actually attempting to honour what may have been his wishes.

20 minutes ago, Docno said:

Thanks, but I didn't really need so 'visual' a metaphor...

Spigot a gentile word for something that I have heard detailed here in its crude form many times. Sorry to offend you. Seeing you use the word visual you must a keen pictorial memory like my own. Its a sad cross to bear. Vivid imaginations can run away at times. Makes ones brain like a picture show. 

Edited by elgordo38

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Spigot a gentile word for something that I have heard detailed here in its crude form many times. Sorry to offend you. Seeing you use the word visual you must a keen pictorial memory like my own. Its a sad cross to bear. Vivid imaginations can run away at times. Makes ones brain like a picture show. 

That bucket would have to be real big and open a lot for something spread on the wind to make a difference:spamsign:

36 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Would the family not be able to cut the time frame down based on his rank?

I hope that she is alive so that his family can find out more about their dad.

Remember most servicemen do not talk about what happened during the war until near the end of their lives.

I am sure this is something that his wife knew about although he may not have told her how much.

Anyway it is kind of nice that they are actually attempting to honour what may have been his wishes.

His rank appears to be senior airman, E-4, three stripes. There were thousands of USAF E-4s in Thailand over the years 65-75. Perhaps more telling is his base, U-Tapao. The 4258th SAC Air Wing was stationed there from 66-75--they flew B-52s and KC-135s. It appears there may be an insignia behind her hair on his left breast.--may tell the difference between flight- and ground-crew.

Many American troops, some already married or having girlfriends back in the States, took on unofficial Vietnamese, Cambodian, Lao or Thai wives while being on active duty during the Vietnam war. Once their tour of duty was finished the troops abandoned these women, some pregnant or already born their children, and returned back to the States never contacting the women again. They preyed upon their innocence and naivety, the women believing their American soldier boyfriends were their white knights in shining armor, their protectors and would take them back to the States to a wonderful lifestyle. Back in those times America was an even more racist society then it is now, they considered the indo China peoples as gooks and a lower form of life. Even today there are children of these US troops who have zero chance of ever discovering who were their fathers and it`s all very sad.

Maybe it is best if this lovely Thai lady is not found, not dredge up the past that perhaps these women would rather put behind them and let sleeping dogs lie.

25 minutes ago, JacChang said:

All we need to know is what toothpaste she uses. We need to stock more of those.

And which washing powder!! The colours of her shirt are so vivid !!!!

The thai netizens should also pay attention to her lovely natural thai face and complexion!!!

The beauty norm anno 2017 us MONSTROUS!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

15 minutes ago, Mook23 said:

And which washing powder!! The colours of her shirt are so vivid !!!!

The thai netizens should also pay attention to her lovely natural thai face and complexion!!!

The beauty norm anno 2017 us MONSTROUS!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

I would prefer a robot ....!

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

having girlfriends back in the States, took on unofficial Vietnamese, Cambodian, Lao or Thai wives while being on active duty during the Vietnam war. Once their tour of duty was finished the troops abandoned these women, some pregnant or already born their children, and returned back to the States

And Thais thought gravy train would go on forever (1955-1975), sent their daughters to work in bars, stopped investing in their children's education, followed the Americans ' example and abandoned their pregnant girlfriends all over the country...and look at the state of the country now! 

What´s the point? She´s probably married, if still alive. Most probably she has not been thinking of him all her life. That would be a very strange coincident.
He was married to another woman or more of them and had children. Seems to me that it´s an old story that just should be put to rest.

Well he couldn't have loved her and missed her that much, there was nothing stopping him returning to Sattahip after he was discharged and locating the girl. I first got to Sattahip in 1978 and I met several ex US military guys who were living there with their Thai partners. These were guys who had been stationed at U-Tapao, formed these relationships during their time there, then returned as soon as they got out of the military, which was generally only a year or two.

23 minutes ago, vivasamui said:

And Thais thought gravy train would go on forever (1955-1975), sent their daughters to work in bars, stopped investing in their children's education, followed the Americans ' example and abandoned their pregnant girlfriends all over the country...and look at the state of the country now! 

Yeah,a lot better off than the States know and with a leader who has a lot more respect.

6 minutes ago, TSF said:

Well he couldn't have loved her and missed her that much, there was nothing stopping him returning to Sattahip after he was discharged and locating the girl. I first got to Sattahip in 1978 and I met several ex US military guys who were living there with their Thai partners. These were guys who had been stationed at U-Tapao, formed these relationships during their time there, then returned as soon as they got out of the military, which was generally only a year or two.

I knew a Yank in Korat that never went back,stayed with his new family.

32 minutes ago, catman20 said:

What a waste of time thinking her about her all his life, he was properly just another customer, like most of the chumps that visit here.

Pro-jec-tion!

There is love in thailand. But u have to deserve it. It doesn't come with money or looks. Believe it or not, it comes from the heart... it's not available in beer bars nor soapies....