Is this Thai? Can it be translated?

bll140

พระพุทธศักราชล่วงได้ 2445 ปีเถาะ คิมหันตฤดู เดือน 6 ขึ้น 5 ค่ำเป็นวันเขียนจบพระมาไลย์สูตร

Day 5 Month 6 of lunar calendar in 1902, winter season, rabbit year is the finished date of Phra Malai.

ข้าพเจ้านายสร โต พร้อมแดง พร้อมใจกันกันสร้างพระมาไลย์ไว้ให้พระพุทธศาสนา

We, Sorn, Toh and Deang, produce Phra Malai for the Buddhist.

ถ้าข้าพเจ้ายังท่องเที่ยวอยู่ กราบไดขอให้ข้าพเจ้าเหนื่อยหน่ายในการอกุศลกรรมอันหยาบช้า อันลามกแล้ว

If we are still travelling, we wish to be bored sin and obscene.

ขอให้ข้าพเจ้าทันศาสนาพระศรีอาริยเมตไตรบรมโพธิสัตว์เทอญ

And we wish to born in Phra Sriariyamettri era.

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Not sure of what you mean, but the worksheet was a photocopied one with 4 columns.

column 1: old (student says out loud "o...l..
d").

column 2: "old" written in ThaI script.

column 3: the Thai equivalent of "old" written in Thai.

column 4: a space for the word 'old' to be written in English.

In column 3 the teacher had written "เก่า".

I think it should have been the 'sara air' version of old.

That seems to be the way my working class friends say 'old'.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

As already explained to you, the two Thai words are used in different contexts. It's extremely unlikely that your working class Thai friends will be using แก่ in contexts where เก่า is used. They are both correct in their own contexts.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

Joy16, thank you for the translation.. and all of you for the amazing analysis... I continue to research this book as a whole in hopes some of the other script can be translated, although I understand that me be much tougher...

Bob 

As already explained to you, the two Thai words are used in different contexts. It's extremely unlikely that your working class Thai friends will be using แก่ in contexts where เก่า is used. They are both correct in their own contexts.

English has the equivalent of แก่ in aged (pronounced 'age ed' ) having lived a long time. We use old for both aged and not new.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've always used เก่า to refer mostly to old things and แก่ for elderly (or maybe over ripe fruit). 

They are used together such as in ของเก่าแก่  or  สิ่งของเก่าแก่  -  antique or ancient stuff (or junk :))

My sister-in-law and I refer to my wife as อี แก่ when she can overhear us.  I'll have to try อี แก่ แก่ sometime. Living dangerously, 555.

Edited by Damrongsak
add

Maybe the teacher should have written 'old person' or 'old tree' and not just 'old'.

The 4 adult Thais who were in the room at the time didn't seem to recognise เก่า, as meaning old. They thought the teacher was wrong and it should have been แก่. Maybe they were thinking subconsciously 'old person'. The student didn't seem to recognise 'เก่า' either.

Maybe when the teacher wrote 'old' in the English language, she should have written the Thai equivelant as เก่าแก่?

Languages are so fascinating, and I love learning the Thai language.

I just talked to my wife about หัวโบราณ and I understood โบราณ as we drink (Caffee Boran).

We then talked about the different meanings of 'old' again. She knows เก่า means ancient, so I guess when they saw the worksheet for Pathom 2 they were all thinking 'old person'.

Anyway, fascinating language.

I am amazed how complex it is.. I am having a great time trying to uncover information on this book.. I greatly appreciate the help here. It really is the most important information, date, names.. It was clear to me it was Legend of Phra Malai...

Exciting

Bob

Bob, I don't know if your book would qualify, but maybe it could be regarded as " โบราณ ".  Or at least old enough for respect. 

Carlyai, " Caffee Boran" could be stale coffee.  Make sure she isn't jerking your chain there.  Big difference between ancient foods and old food...

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Bob, I don't know if your book would qualify, but maybe it could be regarded as " โบราณ ".  Or at least old enough for respect. 

Carlyai, " Caffee Boran" could be stale coffee.  Make sure she isn't jerking your chain there.  Big difference between ancient foods and old food...

กาแฟโบราณ is the traditional Thai style of coffee. You'll see it in the name or on the signs of the 'old style' coffee shops and stands.