Phuket tuk-tuk driver, 81, slams into police checkpoint

webfact

Phuket tuk-tuk driver, 81, slams into police checkpoint

The Phuket News

1485142478_1-org.jpg

The Phuket tuk-tuk driven by 81-year-old Fad Yayee slammed into the Kathu Police Checkpoint this morning. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- An 81-year-old Phuket tuk-tuk driver is in hospital after his vehicle crashed into the Kathu Police Checkpoint this morning (Jan 23), causing serious damage to the structure and causing traffic delays as rush-hour motorists paused to take in the spectacle.

The tuk-tuk driver, Fad Yayee, had just descended Patong Hill and was driving eastward toward Phuket Town at about 8am when he mowed down a police sign warning motorists of the checkpoint ahead, jumped the gutter and slammed into the checkpoint building.

The checkpoint was unmanned at the time, but Kusoldharm rescue workers were soon at the scene to render assistance.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tuk-tuk-driver-81-slams-into-police-checkpoint-60733.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-23

“We have yet to question him, but at this stage we believe he simply fell asleep at the wheel. Mr Fad is very old, and may have been very tired,” he said...........

If they believe he fell asleep then they must have proof. He's not "very old" at 81 unless the speaker is a minor in which case anyone over 40 is old.

Thank goodness his brakes did not fail; it could have been much worse.......

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
Add comment

37 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

“We have yet to question him, but at this stage we believe he simply fell asleep at the wheel. Mr Fad is very old, and may have been very tired,” he said...........

If they believe he fell asleep then they must have proof. He's not "very old" at 81 unless the speaker is a minor in which case anyone over 40 is old.

Thank goodness his brakes did not fail; it could have been much worse.......

I just don't understand all the complaining, just because one gets to be of a rip old age of 81 with maybe failing eyesight , little slow on reflex, fall asleep every now and then while driving .... it shouldn't be just cause to prohibit him from driving gullible tourist around at inflated prices.

14 hours ago, Pigdog747 said:

I just don't understand all the complaining, just because one gets to be of a rip old age of 81 with maybe failing eyesight , little slow on reflex, fall asleep every now and then while driving .... it shouldn't be just cause to prohibit him from driving gullible tourist around at inflated prices.

You are probably a schoolboy in grade one, everyone over the age of twenty is then of a ripe old age.

Be nice now.

81 yo , so he was a lad when the first cars arrived brand new a few years before WW 2 , he started driving at the end of the war and has driven 200,000k since , well he is probably a better driver than a 25 yo minibus driver , I am 70 yo next month and I like to take a nap when on my Forza doing 120 kph.