Threats To Tourists

eric1000

Date: 2004-04-29 22:16:47 PST

Militants tell foreign tourists to stay away

Agence France-Presse

The Nation

Published on Apr 30, 2004

Muslim separatists yesterday for the first time openly warned

foreigners to stay away from Thailand's top tourism spots.

After clashes between security forces and separatists left 113 people

dead on Wednesday, Britain and Denmark reacted quickly to advise their

citizens not to travel to the five Muslim-majority provinces bordering

Malaysia.

But the threat widened to regions further north when outlawed

separatist groups told foreigners to avoid the resort islands of Phuket

and Phi Phi and the popular destinations of Krabi and Phang Nga.

"Persons who plan to visit Thailand now are warned not to travel to

Pattani Raya region ... and the neighbouring provinces [Phuket, Phang

Nga, Krabi and Phatthalung]," a statement by militant group Bersatu said.

"Pattani people are not responsible for anything that happens to you

after this warning," it said, without elaborating.

Some authorities have denied Wednesday's violence was mounted by

separatists, but other officials said the Pattani United Liberation

Organisation (Pulo), which put the warning on its website, had helped

train the rebels.

Government Spokesman Jakrapob Penkair said the warning was being

analysed to determine whether it represented a serious threat. "We will

not panic over every bit of information posted on the Internet," he said.

The violence is the latest body blow for the industry, which has

struggled to overcome the effects of regional outbreaks of Sars and bird

flu, which killed at least eight people here, as well as earlier

security threats.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) said visitor traffic would drop

off if the troubles continued in the South, which has seen an upsurge of

unrest this year.

"It will be affected if the unrest is not over soon," said Napasorn

Kakai, a TAT official in Phuket.

"We are concerned that if the unrest continues it will finally affect

Phuket and Krabi," he said, adding that the strife threatened to trigger

cancellations at hotels and resorts.

Southern violence has already seen Malaysian tourist numbers fall by up

to 30 per cent according to TAT figures."

---

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com

to which we raise our middle finger to these scumbags !

It will affect tourism, but me for one can not allow a group of terrorists to run my life, I'll be back in Thailand regardles what those a##holes do, I came right after Sep. 11th, and I'll come again.

Terrorists and other criminals are almost everywhere.....

In USA, WesternEurope, Russia........South America, Africa....

There is no safe place in this world, except maybe Antarctis, but it is too cold for me there....

So I am back again coming July in Thailand.....

Johann

Yohan, you are so right, I'll be back in Phuket for a month in September, if you have to die, you will, but "they" could as well hit the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen or any other place in the world where a lot of people gathers, you simply can't arrange your life after them, if your number is up, you'll get it. :o

I'm sure it will affect tourism but by the time it's high season there is a chance that if the trouble subsides it will be forgotten.

I'm pretty sure only the package tours will be down. The ones who know Thailand will come anyway.

If it's time it's time. Live life to the full..... :o

After clashes between security forces and separatists left 113 people

dead on Wednesday, Britain and Denmark reacted quickly to advise their

citizens not to travel to the five Muslim-majority provinces bordering

Malaysia.

I think that when your Government advises against travelling to certain places, a lot of people are put off. Especially family people. Parents dont have the "When your numbers up, its up attitude" when it comes to their kids. And new visitors are easily put off because they dont know what to expect. We know its not that bad but they don't.

What can be done though. The Government have to make these statements..

I believe this will have more effect on the tourist trade than both sars and the bird flu combined.

I have very little confidence in thaskin being able to resolve the situation as the use of force will not bring it under control.

they need to be given more reason to live for their families than dying for their god.

:o

I am not as fatalist as that (see some of the comments), but when I see a man, his wife and 2 children ride on a motorcycle without helmet, I am just wondering where the danger really is.

Give me Phucket any time

My friends email me about the terrible things going on in Thailand, and are concerned about my safety. May 7th I go back to where my friends are in NEW YORK! , isnt that where the worst terrorist attach ever took place? The only time in Thailand that I'm concerned about my safety is when I try to cross the street :o

I am an American living in Hat Yai. I have just returned from a car trip from Surin. I have been driving for 50 years and this latest driving experience is the most terrifying I've ever experienced. No lights,motorbikes on Both sides of the road,speeders,cars passing trying to make a 3 lane road out of 2 and driving cars off the road,cows on the road,elephants etc. etc.

I'll take my chances in Hat Yai where the odds of staying alive far surpass anything like being on the so called highways......

It will affect tourism, but me for one can not allow a group of terrorists to run my life, I'll be back in Thailand regardles what those a##holes do, I came right after Sep. 11th, and I'll come again.

Agree totally, they can run those camel races with kids riding them, I'll still stick to my plans either way, 9/11 or no 9/11. I still can't figure out what the Aussies had to do with anything that they (the nutties) had to bomb a Bali tourist spot? That is absolute madness, goes to show that full moon ain't the only day people go nuts on.....heh

The PM here has done a great job actually, he ain't that bad of a guy as people make him out to be.......when push came to shove...he was decisive. Give credit where its due guys.

Agree totally, they can run those camel races with kids riding them, I'll still stick to my plans either way, 9/11 or no 9/11. I still can't figure out what the Aussies had to do with anything that they (the nutties) had to bomb a Bali tourist spot? That is absolute madness, goes to show that full moon ain't the only day people go nuts on.....heh

The PM here has done a great job actually, he ain't that bad of a guy as people make him out to be.......when push came to shove...he was decisive. Give credit where its due guys.

Alot of the muslims and asians in general refer to most white farangs as Americans. They probably thought that they were Americans in Bali.