Tips on Udon Thani

Jacques MERIDEUR

Hi everyone,

I intend to spend a few days relaxing in Udon Thani on my way to Laos

I know, this city has not a good reputation among TV’s readers but I still want to go there

Can anyone recommend me a good, confortable hotel with a swimming pool even if it’s expensive

Also, for evenings, can anyone recommend me some places to meet Gays and lady boys, please

I thank you for your kind help

Cheers

Merideur   

The Centre hotel is the most upmarket hotel in Udon--its near new with Swimming pool / gym/ spa's /massage & private entrance to the 5 floors of shopping  centre it is attached to-- and it will set you back a whopping 900--1,000 baht a day..(you should get 5 star Brekie thrown in for that) .yes you are in a different world from BKK here.

There are many other Hotels in Udon City around the 300+ baht mark.

I could be wrong JM but I do not think there are that many Gay farang type bars here-There is The Boyzone Bar -- -then just a few gay-Thai bars, also with L-Boys etc they seem just to be spread around the normal bars---again Udon isn't noted for its night life.

There are some stunning looking young Lao & Thai girls here at a fraction of the BKK price, but I guess I may be preaching to the unconverted there.

A suggestion may be to join one of those free dating sites "Date in Asia"  etc-- you may meet a friend and a guide if you just target the Udon area on it, but be careful like most issan towns Udon has a population of around 400K + (2000 censor) but a  catchment area area of over 3 million people---so I come from Udon Thani may mean yes only 40 miles  out of the town.

Centre Hotel......

Oops they took the Picture away....... there also is a local site which you may have more luck getting info from---I do not think they will let me post the link here
Edited by oxo1947

16 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

The Centre hotel is the most upmarket hotel in Udon--its near new with Swimming pool / gym/ spa's /massage & private entrance to the 5 floors of shopping  centre it is attached to-- and it will set you back a whopping 900--1,000 baht a day..(you should get 5 star Brekie thrown in for that) .yes you are in a different world from BKK here.

There are many other Hotels in Udon City around the 300+ baht mark.

I could be wrong JM but I do not think there are that many Gay farang type bars here-There is The Boyzone Bar -- -then just a few gay-Thai bars, also with L-Boys etc they seem just to be spread around the normal bars---again Udon isn't noted for its night life.

There are some stunning looking young Lao & Thai girls here at a fraction of the BKK price, but I guess I may be preaching to the unconverted there.

A suggestion may be to join one of those free dating sites "Date in Asia"  etc-- you may meet a friend and a guide if you just target the Udon area on it, but be careful like most issan towns Udon has a population of around 400K + (2000 censor) but a  catchment area area of over 3 million people---so I come from Udon Thani may mean yes only 40 miles  out of the town.

Centre Hotel......

Oops they took the Picture away....... there also is a local site which you may have more luck getting info from---I do not think they will let me post the link here

You are very 'out of date' re the prices, I suggest you look again. By the way it is the Centara Hotel and Convention Center.

Edited by dominator

CENTARA Hotel is indeed your best bet as it is right next to the Central Mall and in the middle of the action.

Cost could be around 1.400 - 1.700 Baht if there is no convention (very popular with gvernment agencies) at that time, but usually the BF will not be included for that price. The Centara has a decent pool. Keep in mind that the cheapest standard rooms do not have a window!

I strongly disagree with the CHAROEN hotel, unless you are an insect scientist on a research trip, be it new wing or not.

There is another new good hotel very close to the railway station and as such very close to the Central Mall too, which got good reviews. It is called KAVINBURI GREEN HOTEL and rooms can be had for under 1.000 THB usually,  excluding breakfast. Excellent location and got great reviews. Same cn be said for the slightly more expensive and frequently fully booked PANNARAI HOTEL which is right on the Farang-strip on Sampanthamit Road (and just a few Meters away from Central Mall as well).

These three should be your best options f you r willing to spend a few Baht more. Just check the reviews on the usual booking websites such as agoda, booking.com or expedia, as well as TA reviews