Honda CBR250R and Shell 4T ADVANCE AX7 10W-40

Generalchaos

Hopefully someone can put me right on this.

My CBR manual states 10W/30 oil for the engine, however after reading quite a bit online and even replies from Honda, it seems perfectly acceptable to use 10W/40 in this machine.

Anyone used this Shell AX7 4T in their bikes? Is it any good or should I just stick with the Honda SAE30? - The cheap stuff?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, papa al said:

This is a water-cooled bike.

Why would you want to use a thicker oil?

I have no idea, that is why I am asking the question, the oil is not THICKER, it has a different viscosity under different temperature ranges, viscosity and thickness are not at all related.  My  1969 Ford Transit was water cooled and it used 20/50.

Honda shops round here have only some basic single grade 30W oils, they are MA Spec, the Shell is MA2, which I assumed may be a bit better. Besides, it is bit hotter here than the UK or Europe, ambient like, I saw that Honda Canada approved 40 weight, just looking at what the reasons for and against actually are.

So the next point, if it was air cooled, like something like the MSX 125 would that make a difference? Honda specs W30 for that too, we have both bikes and want to find a decent oil that gives some good protection. The MA Honda is normally what people put in their 110 CC Lawnmowers.

Edited by Generalchaos

Yeah read much on oils in motorcycles and many owners can talk the talk about oil till the cows come home.

Personally l would use the cheapest oil suitable for the bike and change every 4000K or 1 year.

My bike manual says 10/40 ma2 so l use that in synthetic or semi form.

As far as l can make out the oil grade specified by the makers is to do with engine design but that said it still makes me finding it hard to believe that an oil that starts with 10 is necessary in Thailand when it can go down to minor something.

Below is 2013 but still relevant IMO. 

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tips-tech/beginners-guide-to-oil-how-it-works

17 hours ago, Generalchaos said:

viscosity and thickness are not at all related

Synonyms

just looking at what the reasons for and against actually are.

So the next point, if it was air cooled, like something like the MSX 125 would that make a difference? Honda specs W30 for that too, we have both bikes and want to find a decent oil that gives some good protection. 

Air-cooled' runs hotter especially with bigger engines.

A 250cc air-cooled needs heavier weight oil & more frequent changes

than efficiently cooled CBR.

The higher viscosity oil will decrease performance very slightly.,

secondary to internal friction;

either 30 or 40 will work fine.

That's it.

viscosity.png

Edited by papa al