What can I drive with my Thai licence?

Boatfreak

Looks like a commercial vehicle.  Normal cars and trucks. You need a separate permission for motorcycles. I doubt that foreigners would get permission to drive commercial delivery trucks, but won't hurt to ask. 

Asked a guy in my village that drives large 8 wheeler tipper trucks he said he drives it on car licence because there not a licence for lorries. 

It's commercial vehicle used for work so for a farangie to drive it they would have to have a work permit l guess and l don't think it's listed as work that foreigner can do.  

If it has white plates with black  figures/numbers you can or white plates with blue numbers on a minibus you can drive it, any other colour like yellow and black you cannot as they are commercial plates and you need a commercial license which is only issued to Thais

Edited by madmax2

3 hours ago, madmax2 said:

If it has white plates with black  figures/numbers you can or white plates with blue numbers on a minibus you can drive it, any other colour like yellow and black you cannot as they are commercial plates and you need a commercial license which is only issued to Thais

Are you 100% sure about that or do you carry tea money.

Show me where in Thailand on DMV web site where it states your belief. 

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Are you 100% sure about that or do you carry tea money.

Show me where in Thailand on DMV web site where it states your belief. 

Bought my son a new toyota minibus recently and was told by the sales manager i could not drive it as a farang because it was going on yellow plates for commercial use, also looked at second hand minibuses on white and blue plates which i was told i could drive as long as it stays on those plates

Also shown a commercial license which covers the types of vehicles you can drive on it which included everything not on a a private license

I do not have to show you anything learn to be more polite, you sound like a redneck the way you post 

I do not believe whats sad on forums without checking thats for sure

Makes sense only Thai Nationals can drive a vehicle for reward so only they can get a commercial license to do it

Edited by madmax2

13 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

You should have pictures on the back, bottom right hand corner of your license stating what you are eligible to drive. Mine has a car, pickup and minivan, so that is all I would be willing to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You can drive a minivan for private use its on white plates with blue numbers,you cannot drive a minibus with yellow plates as its licenses as a commercial passenger vehicle 

4 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Bought my son a new toyota minibus recently and was told by the sales manager i could not drive it as a farang because it was going on yellow plates for commercial use, also looked at second hand minibuses on white and blue plates which i was told i could drive as long as it stays on those plates

Also shown a commercial license which covers the types of vehicles you can drive on it which included everything not on a a private license

You started good then lost it OK sorry l was only asking direct question no need to get over sensitive about it.

Found out the info myself thanks.

Private vehicles: (Text / Plate)

• Black on White- private vehicles with 7 or less seats.
  • Green on White - private 2-door pickup trucks and small truck with only 4 wheels.
  • Blue on White - private vehicles with more than 7 seats
  • Red on White - private 3-wheeled vehicles

Commercial and Government: (Text / Plate)

• Black on Red - dealer plates
  • Black on Yellow - taxis and other chartered vehicles (tour/school vans etc)
  • White on Green - limousines and airport taxis
  • Black on Orange - government engineering/services vehicles
  • Green on Yellow - tuk tuk's
  • White on Maroon - police vehicles
  • White on Black - royalty and military vehicles
  • White on Blue - diplomatic vehicles
  • Blue on White -  vehicles more than 7 seats , for Thai national drivers only as goes for all the commercial and government plates except black on red.

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You started good then lost it OK sorry l was only asking direct question no need to get over sensitive about it.

• Green on White - private 2-door pickup trucks and small truck with only 4 wheels.

• Blue on White -  vehicles more than 7 seats , for Thai national drivers only as goes for all the commercial and government plates except black on red.

See what you can find out if you really try without asking others

I lost nothing sport, i know what colour plate i and my family members are entitled to have and use legally

Did you know that even Thai people need a extra license to drive a commercial vehicle

and there is currently a 3 month waiting list to apply for it in Phuket

there normal private license which even us farangs have  is not legal for commercial use 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You mentioned blue on white twice. The first one is correct, anybody with a valid DL can drive these.

Edited by stevenl

3 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Did you know that even Thai people need a extra license to drive a commercial vehicle

So if you knew all that why not answer the question.

Thai commercial licence No.4 for Thai only yeah common knowledge.

Bya.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

You mentioned blue on white twice. The first one is correct, anybody with a valid DL can drive these.

Blue on White with over 7 seats Thai commercial DL only.

I guess l'm OK where l live with 10 family in the back of the truck with Black on White plates. :laugh: 

On 25.1.2017 at 11:52 AM, Kwasaki said:

Best ask your nearest DLT not same here like say UK  where you can.

My guess is a.... NO.

Yes, ask your local DLT.

The OP says Thai lic.

That is not very clear, there are many different Thai driving lic.

An ordinary car driving lic. will let you drive a non commercial car with 4 wheels.

If the truck you mention has more than 4 wheels (ie twin rear wheels) you can not drive it on an ordinary car lic.

At least, that is my understanding.

I have enquired several DLTs about this. So far my understanding is that it is possible for a foreigner to get a lic.

for a 6 wheeler, 10 wheeler, 18 wheeler with non commercial plates.

However, it requires that you speak thai, read thai and write thai and do the test driving to satisfaction.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:35 PM, stevenl said:

Sorry, not true. Blue on white 7+ can be driven by anyone.

Yep my bad typo didn't know this for sure, old post from ' moonriveroassis ' guy and the guy in prison who knew quite a lot of Thai driving rule stuff. 

Difficult when you ask these things in DLT as most would say no.

On 1/26/2017 at 0:19 PM, Kwasaki said:

So this is a private vehicle ?

Hino 500.jpg

On 1/25/2017 at 11:52 AM, Kwasaki said:

Best ask your nearest DLT not same here like say UK  where you can.

My guess is a.... NO.

first you need a translator that understands what your are asking, second ask three different DLT and you will get 3 different answers. 

39 minutes ago, Boatfreak said:

Maybe I should clarify my question. I want to know which bus, truck, van whatever I can turn into a motorhome for PRIVATE use. I have read a few times the issue about the more than 4 wheels, where can I find this rule?

I would guess and it appears that if you buy any of the above and get Blue lettered plate on a White background for it, no problem.

Quote from  melvinmelvin     

I have enquired several DLT's about this. So far my understanding is that it is possible for a foreigner to get a licence.

for a 6 wheeler, 10 wheeler, 18 wheeler with non commercial plates.

However, it requires that you speak thai, read thai and write thai and do the test driving to satisfaction.