Read my lips: No political amnesty, Prayut says

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Yes, I do mean it.

The General has done a lots of good in Pattaya - lots of corruption cleaned out but some more to go.  I still don't see the Pattaya Police enforcing numerous traffic laws - especially motorcycles driving on walkways. There are lots of other areas where I don't see adequate enforcement.

Lots of problems in Pattaya like with the municipal water authority that won't provide adequate water to condominium buildings or charging condos the hotel rate, which is like 65b a cubic meter, instead of the residential rate which 21b. Water authority, for one condo, wants over million baht to increase the water line so that it gets adequate supply. The only thing the water company has to do is remove a cap. - Lots of crap like this in Pattaya - probably in other parts of the country too.

So the coup leader/self-appointed PM/rule by decree general eliminates some of the corruption in Sin City, only that corruption that doesn't benefit him or allies, and you think he's a hero.

No point in trying to reason with that kind of mentality.

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

So the coup leader/self-appointed PM/rule by decree general eliminates some of the corruption in Sin City, only that corruption that doesn't benefit him or allies, and you think he's a hero.

The General is doing a better job than any political party in Thailand for the last 20 years. He is more honest, has more integrity, and produces more positive results than any political party that I have seen in the last 20 years.

Prior to the General, anybody could do anything in Pattaya, just by greasing the palm(s). In my viewpoint, some people in authority wouldn't authorize things to be done until their palm was greased.

Edited by Banana7

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

26 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

The General is doing a better job than any political party in Thailand for the last 20 years. He is more honest, has more integrity, and produces more positive results than any political party that I have seen in the last 20 years.

Prior to the General, anybody could do anything in Pattaya, just by greasing the palm(s). In my viewpoint, some people in authority wouldn't authorize things to be done until their palm was greased.

I've never been to Pattaya and don't consider it representative of Thailand.  In my part of Thailand corruption remains unchanged, the economy is worse and people are angry, but know better than to voice their anger--Prayut is a thin-skinned coup leader/self-appointed PM/ rule by decree general.  But since you clearly put him on a pedestal, you'll believe what you want and not allow facts or logic to sway you.

I can only primarily speak about the four major cities/areas in Thailand where I spend time: Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, and Chiang Mai. Before the General, it was so bad on the beaches, you couldn't even lay down a beach towel on the public beach for a sun tan because either the usable part of the beach was covered in beach chairs, half of which were empty or the beach chairs vendors demanded one to leave, or demanded payment to rent space.  Basically anybody could claim public land/space, setup a business, and charge others to use the public space, or prevent you from using it because it was their business area. This happened a lot in the National Parks and forests, not just in these 4 cities. In the parks, dozens of resorts were built illegally, just by greasing hands. The guardians of public land, property, services would allow almost anything to occur with a little grease. The elected officials didn't do anything to stop it.

Maybe you should do some research and look at the facts - lots of news articles with photos!!

Edited by Banana7

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Bananas!  

1 hour ago, Banana7 said:

I can only primarily speak about the four major cities/areas in Thailand where I spend time: Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, and Chiang Mai. Before the General, it was so bad on the beaches, you couldn't even lay down a beach towel on the public beach for a sun tan because either the usable part of the beach was covered in beach chairs, half of which were empty or the beach chairs vendors demanded one to leave, or demanded payment to rent space.  Basically anybody could claim public land/space, setup a business, and charge others to use the public space, or prevent you from using it because it was their business area. This happened a lot in the National Parks and forests, not just in these 4 cities. In the parks, dozens of resorts were built illegally, just by greasing hands. The guardians of public land, property, services would allow almost anything to occur with a little grease. The elected officials didn't do anything to stop it.

Maybe you should do some research and look at the facts - lots of news articles with photos!!

Here's some very recent "research":  http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/26/police-chiefs-advisory-cash-booze-company-deemed-totally-legit 

Do I need to remind you of the nepotism, suspicious land deals, military contracts to family members, unexplained wealth, money transfers from military accounts to Prayut's brother, etc?    Of course I consider these trivial to the human rights abuses and permanent neutering of democracy in Thailand.  But hey, maybe he did clean up a stretch of beach in Pattaya.  That makes everything ok.

Read my lips: I am a big bully without feelings or emotions brought to power by the Thai elite to bring them happiness and secure their position at the top of the food chain. So help me Buddha. If Buddha won't help we will tear down his temples and imprison his abbots. All undertaken in a robitic , old school, Victorian attitude and values without any sense of humour.

19 hours ago, johnnytuc said:

I keep reading this looking for the sarcasm.................but I think he means it!

He is in his own little world best leave him alone. We are not all equal thinkers. It took me till my retirement years to figure out the facts of life (not the testosterone ones) Big money working with governments/politicians have been building a base for decades and the end result now is that about a dozen corporations own most of everything. They are more open about their ambitions as in the past. Our part in the whole picture is to buy and consume little else. They allow us to make just enough money to do this and not much else. 

2 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Read my lips: I am a big bully without feelings or emotions brought to power by the Thai elite to bring them happiness and secure their position at the top of the food chain. So help me Buddha. If Buddha won't help we will tear down his temples and imprison his abbots. All undertaken in a robitic , old school, Victorian attitude and values without any sense of humour.

5555, imprison abbots ? The one in that flying saucer in Phatum Thani is still not apprehanded :)

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

He is right about the beach chairs.  It is a well documented triumph of this military operation or coup.    Sadly what he does not realize the complete frivolity of the coup and  its accomplishments.  Most countries use laws and courts to settle things, not autocratic martial law.  Thailand is different, broken.  It cannot solve the smallest problems in a civilized manner. 

22 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

22 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

He is right about the beach chairs.  It is a well documented triumph of this military operation or coup.    Sadly what he does not realize the complete frivolity of the coup and  its accomplishments.  Most countries use laws and courts to settle things, not autocratic martial law.  Thailand is different, broken.  It cannot solve the smallest problems in a civilized manner. 

correct, no elected government has ever attempted to solve anything simply because they are a major part of the problem and way to busy filling their own pockets to even consider doing something about it, the achievements of this current government  are too many to list here and they are many - the problem is that the country is so entrenched with problems that it would take at least a decade of hurt to even address a fraction of it, there are of course a few things they are doing that I do not agree with and have not held back in saying so

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

correct, no elected government has ever attempted to solve anything simply because they are a major part of the problem and way to busy filling their own pockets to even consider doing something about it, the achievements of this current government  are too many to list here and they are many - the problem is that the country is so entrenched with problems that it would take at least a decade of hurt to even address a fraction of it, there are of course a few things they are doing that I do not agree with and have not held back in saying so

The achievements of this government can be summarized in a few sentences. And none of the average Thai will notice it.

You seem to believe the current government is not about lining their pockets, but the cold hard facts are that all the Thai militairy has been doing for decades, is lining their pockets and those of their paymasters. Fighting ? Ha, they even lost a war to the Lao a few decades back.

All this government is doing is ensuring no Thaksin, or any other politician can interfere in their control over the country. The Thai electorate has been put offside via the 'approved' constitution. All the rest is window dressing...

The achievements of this government can be summarized in a few sentences. And none of the average Thai will notice it.

You seem to believe the current government is not about lining their pockets, but the cold hard facts are that all the Thai militairy has been doing for decades, is lining their pockets and those of their paymasters. Fighting ? Ha, they even lost a war to the Lao a few decades back.

All this government is doing is ensuring no Thaksin, or any other politician can interfere in their control over the country. The Thai electorate has been put offside via the 'approved' constitution. All the rest is window dressing...

Yes approved by the people constitution. The military have always been in charge and maybe the people want this to continue. Maybe its the price to pay for a less corrupt government. Better the devil you know (military control with a semi Democratic government) than the devil you don't (a fully Democratic government).

The Arab spring hasn't been successful transition of power and this effects other countries attitudes to the best way to go forward. A leap into the unknown of a fully Democratic Thailand scares it's people who prefer old traditional methods of governance than western Democratic ideals.

17 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Yes approved by the people constitution. The military have always been in charge and maybe the people want this to continue. Maybe its the price to pay for a less corrupt government. Better the devil you know (military control with a semi Democratic government) than the devil you don't (a fully Democratic government).

The Arab spring hasn't been successful transition of power and this effects other countries attitudes to the best way to go forward. A leap into the unknown of a fully Democratic Thailand scares it's people who prefer old traditional methods of governance than western Democratic ideals.

Is Taiwan a western style democracy? Is Japan ?   Are there not good examples of functioning representative governments in Asia ?   As many have stated, the coup is to settle the elites dispute with the Thaksin family, nothing more noble.   

33 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

you mean the constitution that no one was allowed to comment on?  no debate?  no alternative views?  you mean THAT  'people's constitution'? 

26 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Maybe its the price to pay for a less corrupt government. 

Have you seen the thread which discusses Thailand's drop from 76 to 101 on the corruption ranking?

A leap into the unknown of a fully Democratic Thailand scares it's people who prefer old traditional methods of governance than western Democratic ideals.

Well, every time there has been an election for the last decade the majority of the voters seem to disagree with you. So where did you get this startling insight into the Thai people's psyche that what they really want is "old traditional methods of governance" (I assume you mean continue being ruled by the elites)???

On 26/01/2017 at 2:33 PM, yellowboat said:

"goals for national reconciliation do not include amnesty"

His amnesty is assured from usurping power from an elected government, but he will not extend that to anyone else.  Is there a Thai word for "oxymoron" ? It must be painful to be an enlightened and erudite Thai at this time. 

There are no "home-grown" enlightened and erudite Thai people.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Can you name a few triumphs of the military lead government ? 

17 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Yes, I do mean it.

The General has done a lots of good in Pattaya - lots of corruption cleaned out but some more to go.  I still don't see the Pattaya Police enforcing numerous traffic laws - especially motorcycles driving on walkways. There are lots of other areas where I don't see adequate enforcement.

Lots of problems in Pattaya like with the municipal water authority that won't provide adequate water to condominium buildings or charging condos the hotel rate, which is like 65b a cubic meter, instead of the residential rate which 21b. Water authority, for one condo, wants over million baht to increase the water line so that it gets adequate supply. The only thing the water company has to do is remove a cap. - Lots of crap like this in Pattaya - probably in other parts of the country too.

Please tell us you are joking, the cost of water, really?

18 minutes ago, George Graham said:

Please tell us you are joking, the cost of water, really?

No joke! Real prices. I heard it directly from the condo committee chairman.

A year ago, the condo had no municipal water, all water was trucked in. The water authority refused to connect the condo. They wouldn't give a written proposal to connect. Finally the condo contacted the Army and the condo now enjoys a 2cm pipe, but really needs a minimum 10cm pipe. The 10cm steel water authority pipe is at the condo but the water authority won't take the cap off, and drilled and connected only a 2cm pipe. But still no written cost or proposal 2 years later.

Some say that the reason for no written proposal is that it is just 1 or 2 hour job to put in the water meter and take the cap off and someone in the water authority wants to be greased at about 1-1.5 million baht to order the work.

Edited by Banana7

1 hour ago, tukkytuktuk said:

No, it wasn't approved and it certainly isn't the people's constitution, the constitution that bares that name is the one from 1997, where the drafters had a clear mandate. That constitution gave Thailand a fully democratic society, but alas the powers that be scrapped it after two Thaksin governments, not to stop corruption, but to stop money draining into the north and the north east, as they still believe that money belongs to the "educated" Bangkok middle class. (or was it only the true hi-so).

Thailand certainly is ready for democracy, the only members of society that aren't ready are the hi-so people I referred to earlier, because they have so much to loose.

The referendum pretty much violated every democratic principle, and I doubt the counting was done accurately. The democrats have voiced strong opposition to the draft, yet the south (their political power base for decades) voted yes, nah cannot be true.

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Ok let's put it to a test, The junta leader has fixed the lotto arranged some beach chairs had a few bike lanes put in, arrested his opponents, arrested any that critisize him and his gov't or the new constitution just for a start.

Now Thaksin national health care.  BOOM just one policy and your hero has been blown out of the water mate.........! 

6 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

Ok let's put it to a test, The junta leader has fixed the lotto arranged some beach chairs had a few bike lanes put in, arrested his opponents, arrested any that critisize him and his gov't or the new constitution just for a start.

Now Thaksin national health care.  BOOM just one policy and your hero has been blown out of the water mate.........! 

Must admit not a Thaksin fan but he did achieve a lot more in the same period of time as this current numbnut.   Prayuth has done absolutely nothing apart from granting himself a complete amnesty.

20 minutes ago, aussieinthailand said:

It's not just beach chairs and bike lanes. Basically anybody could claim public land/space, setup a business, and charge others to use the public space, or prevent you from using it because it was their business area. This happened a lot on public beaches and in the National Parks and forests for hundreds of acres of land. In the parks, dozens of resorts were built illegally, just by greasing hands. Millions of baht in park fees were also missing.

The guardians of public land, property, services would allow almost anything to occur with a little grease. Some public service employees, didn't do their jobs, unless they were greased by the requester. The elected officials didn't do anything to stop these types of actions.

Do some research to find all of the good changes that have happened while the General has been in charge.