Travelers Checks, Atm, Credit Cards Or Cash ?

tc101

I can't imagine what would have changed that would change the conclusion(s).

For me cash is the most convenient but security is the big issue, even hotels with in room safes aren't 100%.

T/C's safe but are sometimes tiresome to go and change. Are you going to be out in the sticks for any length of time?

ATM's are OK but you have to watch for the scams/fraud and you can, depending on your bank, get slammed for charges. Plus, is there a machine local to where you will be that recognises your card?.

Credit cards are open to fraud and you get charged for cash withdrawals. Again are there facilities where you will be stasying?

Personally for short periods (weeks) I carry cash with the ATM as back-up.

For 2 months I'd take cash plus T/C's with ATM as back-up plus credit card for emergency. But then I'm a bit paranoid about getting stranded without funds.

PS I didn't go back to research the previous thread so if my advice is crap by comparison feel free to ignore it. This is the way I operate/travel, it don't suit everybody but it does me.

I can't imagine what would have changed that would change the conclusion(s).

For me cash is the most convenient but security is the big issue, even hotels with in room safes aren't 100%.

T/C's safe but are sometimes tiresome to go and change. Are you going to be out in the sticks for any length of time?

ATM's are OK but you have to watch for the scams/fraud and you can, depending on your bank, get slammed for charges. Plus, is there a machine local to where you will be that recognises your card?.

Credit cards are open to fraud and you get charged for cash withdrawals. Again are there facilities where you will be stasying?

Personally for short periods (weeks) I carry cash with the ATM as back-up.

For 2 months I'd take cash plus T/C's with ATM as back-up plus credit card for emergency. But then I'm a bit paranoid about getting stranded without funds.

PS I didn't go back to research the previous thread so if my advice is crap by comparison feel free to ignore it. This is the way I operate/travel, it don't suit everybody but it does me.

I use ATM'S all the time. They are everywhere, and I have never had a problem. You get a fair exchange rate as well.

Check with your home bank as to charges, and amount of maximum daily withdrawal.

tc101, I would recommend the use of ATM's and just a little cash. Just read the fine print regarding your card, some will charge an overseas ATM withdrawal charge plus a conversion charge of 2%, start adding that up it costs you dearly. Other cards will only charge say $5 for the ATM withdrawal. The fees change all all the time and therefore I change companies all the time, currently I am using a Mastercard that charges no fees at the ATM or conversion fees, hope that helps.

For a two month vacation in Thailand where I plan to spend $3000-$4000, what is the best way to bring in the money? This was discussed a year ago in this forum, but I figure there could be some changes/

I use ATMs also. I take about £200 in cash, £200 in T/C. I pay for everything in cash to lessen the chance of my card being ripped off and the T/C as back up.

As mentioned before, just make sure you get your money out if your going to a more remot place. Earlier this year I was on Koh Phangan at a reletively remote beach and there was only one cash machine which was out of order for the majority of time I was there.

Is there an online site that lists ATMs that don't have high charges overseas? I did a google but have not found anything yet. I will just call my bank if I can't find the info on line, but doing that means being on hold for 5-10 min.

Is there an online site that lists ATMs that don't have high charges overseas? I did a google but have not found anything yet. I will just call my bank if I can't find the info on line, but doing that means being on hold for 5-10 min.

I don't know where you are from but in Australia we have a site called CANNEX. Cannex checks different products against each other and you can clearly see which one will suit you best. Sometimes you just have to look around ask questions at different banks. In your case your bank must have some sort of Product Disclosure Statement that tells you what you will be charged for and what you won't, maybe get on your banks website and go through it, cheers.