Is anyone a web developer?

finy

It's like 'how long is a piece of string", it depends.....I don't think you can give a definite answer.

I think, one of the most important things that you have to know about yourself before you start learning programming is you IQ level.

If you do some IQ test and find you have a high IQ then you can probably do some HTML design in a couple of months and with Java, about 6 months.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

You are probably correct...you definitely need some extra traits.

Unfortunately for me I had neither. HTML seemed fun, but Java.....at least I got past the applet "Hello World".

The head teacher said we would do Java for a semester at year 12 Australian curriculum level. I said 're you sure????.?.

He was going to write all the lessons and assignments, and made a big show in front of the bosses.

I got the first assignment....Hello World, then no more......where's the next 6 months lectures and assignments I said.....
.nothing. Then he resigned and I was left with 2 schools doing year 12 Java.

Steep learning curve with 2am learning sessions and all weekend work. Lucky I'd done the Sun Microsystems Java course sometime before. [emoji41]

It will take some time to become proficient but you can be making simple web pages immediately and work your way up.

At this level it's pretty simple, html is just a page formatting 'language'. Start with basic html / css and work your way up.

There's plenty of books available which will teach you the basics step by step.

php and javascript are simple programming languages but are much more complex than html which is just document formatting.

To learn php / javascript you need to learn about programming concepts which is where the work comes in.

• Like 2

I´ve been developing a lot of websites, and it all depends on which level you want to reach.

The basics of HTML5 and CSS for be able to make some beginner sites that can change and be visible in all different devices sould not take so long time. I would say about a week for get a small grip of that.
After that you can off course continue, and as long as you want to learn there will always be something you don´t know or some new ways that comes up.

JS is a littel more to bite on, but the basic there also goes quick. It all depends on how quick you can learn, mostly based on your interest.
PHP can be seen as a safer and quicker version of HTML, but will also have another more precise language when creating the pages.

All of these languages have free books on the net for learning, and one good place for finding them is TradePub, where you can download e-books for free.
Just follow this link: http://www.tradepub.com/category/information-technology-software-and-web-development/1093/

Don´t bother to check yourself for autism, because it´s only the funny guys here that doesn´t know anything that comes with stupid answers like that.

• Like 1

'Don´t bother to check yourself for autism, because it´s only the funny guys here that doesn´t know anything that comes with stupid answers like that.'

I took this comment to be a positive one, in that you need something special about you to be a programmer.

• 1 year later...

OP, suggest you go over to the specialized webdev forum on reddit. Your type of question comes up fairly often and gets discussed and addressed by people who really do know what they're doing.

Beginner thread (as of today)

https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/836l9a/beginner_questions_march_09_2018/

Look around in the forum and do a search, as there a lot of topics for the experienced as well as noobs and wannabes. They love Node and React, being hot and all. Anyway, every resource you need is known there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/

If you're going to spend much time on reddit, then get the browser Reddit Enhancement Suite:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/reddit-enhancement-suite/kbmfpngjjgdllneeigpgjifpgocmfgmb

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/reddit-enhancement-suite/

Free webhosting for webdev's:

https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/83taz1/is_there_free_web_hosting_for_devs/

Good luck!

Edited by JSixpack

41 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No.

I guess that answer makes you a professional. Fun that you just took half of the sentence when you quote somebody, but I guess that´s just you.

However, we can take the long version so that you basically understand too.

When it comes to HTML5 that is the reigning power language that organize, control and show the content on a website. That will regerding most websites mean that you can not be all without HTML5 and  the combination of CSS3 when you are making a modern responsive mobile friendly website.

Due to that HTML5 have it limitations regarding estlishment of the logic in how the content is going to be controlled in different situations, then PHP is often choosed to power CMS controlled website like WP and Joomla as onlty two examples. Therefore PHP is a language the executes different actions regarding the backend of a website, where it has been replacing much of the HTML5 you find in many website without a backend function. 

That´s still the easy explaination, Mr Teacher.

After this I will not have any interest in reading what you have to say, as I have 20 years experience in webdevelopment.

• Sad 1