Can my wife take neice to Laos,she is aged 6yrs

chippy1941

Good morning, just settling in Nonkoon village and will have to go to Laos in March to get 1yr extension for marriage,mywife would like to take her 6yr old neice with us.She lives with us nr her Grand mother but her mother lives in Bangkok!! any information would be welcome. Also any information on obtaining prescription medicines in the area.

You cannot get an extension to stay here in Laos. Extensions are applied for at immigration. I assume though you mean a multiple entry non-o visa from the consulate in Savannakhet.

I suggest you get consent from her mother to take her out of the country to avoid any problems.

no problem, take a birth certificate and mother's handwritten consent, sign...cleared.

Usually Laos don't even ask for children id, they assume it's relative......but just in case......take what I suggest with you.

have a nice stay

Edited by hgma

Kids used to be able to come & go across the land borders with impunity.  My 1-year old did it a few times, but with his mother, and only once was she asked for his birth certificate (Chong Mek).  However, on the last occasion back in December, she was told "Next time, must have passport".

'..... Also any information on obtaining prescription medicines in the area."

Outside a 3km radius of my own village I wouldn't have a clue of any of the names of the other villages in my area. Perhaps there's another falang who lives within 3km of you who also reads the Isaan forum. On second thoughts, probably not. Then again maybe I'm the only one here who hasn't heard of the famous Nongkoon village

Yeah I know - "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit". Sorry - couldn't resist.

Very few meds in Thailand require a prescription but you are likely to need a large regional city pharmacy, and even then there is probably only one or two in any such city that has an extensive stock. The abundant small pharmas are a waste of space for anything other than popular Thai meds.  Within this eastern part of Lower Isaan I travel 85km to the city of Ubon to find such a pharmacy (corner of Luang and Prammathip in the old Chinese part of town opposite a Yamaha dealer if anyone is interested).

If you do happen to need regular quantities of expensive meds it's worth considering stocking up on a Bangkok visit. Eg, a non-standard antibiotic I take prophylactically for a lung condition costs 160 baht for a week's supply in a particularly cheap good Bangkok pharma I use, 180 or 200 in that Ubon pharma (seems to be a bit variable there), 320 baht in a popular falang pharma on Sukhumvit Rd Bangkok and as much as 500 baht if prescribed in a private hospital pharma!! There's a very cheap local made version at 100 baht, but it's worse than useless for me - that's not a condemnation of all 'local-mades' though as I have had no problems with local made versions of other popular antibis.

On 1/28/2017 at 9:55 AM, SantiSuk said:

Outside a 3km radius of my own village I wouldn't have a clue of any of the names of the other villages in my area. Perhaps there's another falang who lives within 3km of you who also reads the Isaan forum. On second thoughts, probably not. Then again maybe I'm the only one here who hasn't heard of the famous Nongkoon village

Very few meds in Thailand require a prescription but you are likely to need a large regional city pharmacy, and even then there is probably only one or two in any such city that has an extensive stock. The abundant small pharmas are a waste of space for anything other than popular Thai meds.  Within this eastern part of Lower Isaan I travel 85km to the city of Ubon to find such a pharmacy (corner of Luang and Prammathip in the old Chinese part of town opposite a Yamaha dealer if anyone is interested).

If you do happen to need regular quantities of expensive meds it's worth considering stocking up on a Bangkok visit. Eg, a non-standard antibiotic I take prophylactically for a lung condition costs 160 baht for a week's supply in a particularly cheap good Bangkok pharma I use, 180 or 200 in that Ubon pharma (seems to be a bit variable there), 320 baht in a popular falang pharma on Sukhumvit Rd Bangkok and as much as 500 baht if prescribed in a private hospital pharma!! There's a very cheap local made version at 100 baht, but it's worse than useless for me - that's not a condemnation of all 'local-mades' though as I have had no problems with local made versions of other popular antibis.

Rwhat the hell as this got to do with taking a niece to Laos .?

14 hours ago, ableguy said:

Rwhat the hell as this got to do with taking a niece to Laos .?

Also any information on obtaining prescription medicines in the area.

Some new reading glasses should be on top of your shopping list. 

On 28 January 2017 at 9:55 AM, SantiSuk said:

I can see by your reply you are a man of substance,as I come from a tiny country called England where most people have Google earth. Nonkoon Village is about 5klm from Yangnomchoi 15 klm from Sisaket and 60 klm from Ubon and is famous for the onions you eat with your thai food. Just had 3 days of the Onion Festival and is great fun.Your support of Arsenal tells me a lot about you and resilience,as a Stoke supporter all my life I must be one of the few present when they beat Chelsea in the League cup however no one has more cups that Stoke,most people all over the world drink from them. Thanks for the info about prescription info I'am often in Ubon. If you are ever down here I.am not difficult to find there is only 1 Farang in the village me!! Many thanks

3 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Also any information on obtaining prescription medicines in the area.

Some new reading glasses should be on top of your shopping list. 

Many thanks for all the information about the visa I,am working on it. Sorry about the original post I didn't realise that some members could only deal with one subject at a time we all learn something new everyday,eating Thai onions for the last 30 yrs has affected my brain, hence the prescrption drugs needed. All the best, Noncooner!!

2 minutes ago, chippy1941 said:

Many thanks for all the information about the visa I,am working on it. Sorry about the original post I didn't realise that some members could only deal with one subject at a time we all learn something new everyday,eating Thai onions for the last 30 yrs has affected my brain, hence the prescrption drugs needed. All the best, Noncooner!!

Please send me a message what drug you're seeking and I might be of help where and how to get it.

Haven't heard of Noncooner, but I guess I know where you're coming from.......   

Edited by ajarngreg

16 hours ago, chippy1941 said:

I can see by your reply you are a man of substance,as I come from a tiny country called England where most people have Google earth. Nonkoon Village is about 5klm from Yangnomchoi 15 klm from Sisaket and 60 klm from Ubon and is famous for the onions you eat with your thai food. Just had 3 days of the Onion Festival and is great fun.Your support of Arsenal tells me a lot about you and resilience,as a Stoke supporter all my life I must be one of the few present when they beat Chelsea in the League cup however no one has more cups that Stoke,most people all over the world drink from them. Thanks for the info about prescription info I'am often in Ubon. If you are ever down here I.am not difficult to find there is only 1 Farang in the village me!! Many thanks

A man of Stoke who knows his onions. Gotta be a first! (I shared college rooms with some lads from the Potteries and a Stoke teacher walks/jogs with us every month (Ubon Hash House Harriers). No Yorkshireman wants to start up a mickey-taking debate on British regionality, so I'll leave it at that!

So's you know I do know Google Earth (enough to know that villages are rarely ID'd on its coverage of Thailand - unless you know some layer I don't) attached is a GE screen shot showing where the only decent pharma in meuang Sisaket is located (advice courtesy of Frank at "Living in the Past" some time ago). Not as good as the Chinese-Thai pharma in Ubon but maybe worth enquiring. The street view is taken looking south down the main North-South drag (Khu Khan Rd) from the vantage point of the main railway crossing. The green pharma sign is up there on the left next to the big garish Coke one.  That road junction is with Ubon Rd.

Resilience reference to being a Gooner - ain't that the truth!

Sisaket (amphur Kantharalak) resident.

screen shot of Sisaket pharma.docx

55 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

A man of Stoke who knows his onions. Gotta be a first! (I shared college rooms with some lads from the Potteries and a Stoke teacher walks/jogs with us every month (Ubon Hash House Harriers). No Yorkshireman wants to start up a mickey-taking debate on British regionality, so I'll leave it at that!

So's you know I do know Google Earth (enough to know that villages are rarely ID'd on its coverage of Thailand - unless you know some layer I don't) attached is a GE screen shot showing where the only decent pharma in meuang Sisaket is located (advice courtesy of Frank at "Living in the Past" some time ago). Not as good as the Chinese-Thai pharma in Ubon but maybe worth enquiring. The street view is taken looking south down the main North-South drag (Khu Khan Rd) from the vantage point of the main railway crossing. The green pharma sign is up there on the left next to the big garish Coke one.  That road junction is with Ubon Rd.

Resilience reference to being a Gooner - ain't that the truth!

Sisaket (amphur Kantharalak) resident.

screen shot of Sisaket pharma.docx

A great post, sir. Please correct me when I'm wrong here, but the drugstore, or pharmacist isn't at Ubon rd junction. The photo seems to be made from the railway and the next junction after the one you see on the screenshot is the world's famous Ubon road, also called highway 226. 

The pharmacists, an older Chinese couple seem to have the best variety and knowledge about any medical question and they both speak a very reasonable English.

May the lord be with you and your loved ones. 

On 31/01/2017 at 10:10 AM, ajarngreg said:

A great post, sir. Please correct me when I'm wrong here, but the drugstore, or pharmacist isn't at Ubon rd junction. The photo seems to be made from the railway and the next junction after the one you see on the screenshot is the world's famous Ubon road, also called highway 226. 

The pharmacists, an older Chinese couple seem to have the best variety and knowledge about any medical question and they both speak a very reasonable English.

May the lord be with you and your loved ones. 

Thanks for the photo I know where this is & will give it a try.Main drug is MADOPAR and is for Neuropathic pain in my feet.maybe under another name here.