Blacklisted

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Up until recently, an overstay like that was cleared up by showing up at the airport with an outbound ticket and 20,000 baht.  They could be back in Thailand in time for breakfast the next day.

Not hard to imagine someone living for years (decades?) under that scenario finding themselves in a financial pickle where they couldn't fix it in time to meet the deadline.

I don't know how recent you are talking about.....but my friend showed up at the airport with a four day overstay in November. They dropped the fine to 15,000 baht, but still got a year ban. Now happily living in Ecuador.....he speaks Spanish......with a new girlfriend. 

6 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I don't know how recent you are talking about.....but my friend showed up at the airport with a four day overstay in November. They dropped the fine to 15,000 baht, but still got a year ban. Now happily living in Ecuador.....he speaks Spanish......with a new girlfriend. 

something wrong. A four day overstay is THB2,000.-. And no ban, for sure. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mansell said:

When I got here around 6 years ago, people could stay for decades on occasional border runs to refresh their visa-free status.  Many people didn't even bother with border runs because they could clear up an overstay with a maximum of 20,000 baht- and back to back to back visas runs cost more than that.

I don't recall the exact date the rules changed because they don't affect me on a WP.  It's actually been more of a gradual tightening.  But for people who lived here for decades, I'm sure it feels recent.

Edit:  BTW, on the plus side, we have fewer complaints on TVF about the cost of getting a new passport when the old one fills up with border stamps...

Edited by impulse

19 minutes ago, somo said:

No problem with getting a new passport and all above board. The passport office will know you have legally changed your name but so what, no deception is required. With a new name comes a new life and she can start over again. As testified here I and one other poster know this to be a valid and legal way around the OP's problem.

Having said that there would be no harm in trying to get the decision reversed through normal channels but that may take years and be expensive with no guarantee of getting a result.

IF UK Citizen Thai Immigration, within short time has knowledge about you name change. 

Go the legal way, husband can file a petition, no need  a lawyer. 

hi   There

just some thaught here .

very good u do so much for people in remote areas but as Always the law is the law very frustrating  and a very bad situation for you  

being blacklisted only means for fly to thailand

not sure where your remote station is but maybe fly to another country and cross by road border 

maybe get a new paassport first   ,\

just thinking how to help Amy way good luck

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, localczar said:

how does the airline know this?

It's irrelevant what the airline know, it's what immigration know at the other end that matters. People who have been banned after serving prison sentences for drugs have got visas and boarded flights in the past, only to be sent back when they landed.

1 minute ago, thai3 said:

It's irrelevant what the airline know, it's what immigration know at the other end that matters. People who have been banned after serving prison sentences for drugs have got visas and boarded flights in the past, only to be sent back when they landed.

thats right, immigration would not be a problem in the absense of blacklisting. Try a different airline...thats obviously the problem due to misinformation.

42 minutes ago, visarunner said:

something wrong. A four day overstay is THB2,000.-. And no ban, for sure. 

If it's the same poster as I remember his friend was actually actually on a 94 day overstay

If not there is something wrong, no one gets banned and fined 15k for a 4 day overstay

• Like 1

I am awfully sorry to hear about your situation. What kinda interests me is what the law firm commented on your situation? It seems like they gave you green light for entering the country. Their webpage also seems to be shut down...are they reachable for you at the moment? It seems like they left you hanging since you opened the topic here.

1 hour ago, somo said:

No problem with getting a new passport and all above board. The passport office will know you have legally changed your name but so what, no deception is required. With a new name comes a new life and she can start over again. As testified here I and one other poster know this to be a valid and legal way around the OP's problem.

Having said that there would be no harm in trying to get the decision reversed through normal channels but that may take years and be expensive with no guarantee of getting a result.

IF UK Citizen Thai Immigration, within short time has knowledge about you name change. 

Go the legal way, husband can file a petition, no need  a lawyer. 

---------------

No they will not. There are no records kept of UK citizens changing their name so no one would ever know unless you told them yourself. It is a purely personal choice to do so. The deed poll just enables you to change the name on your bank accounts, credit cards, passport etc. It is no different to a woman changing her name when she gets married but she just uses a marriage certificate instead of the deed poll when applying for a new passport. All perfectly legal.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No I do not but I do understand that people sometimes get in a situation where it was out of their control. This is a forum to to help people not to be abuse them because of your own personal opinions and biases.

well said Joe ,its just a pity other people do NOT have any sympathy for the OP as you have already said she is asking for ADVICE and not criticism from the keyboard warriors that are on here 24/7 ,,,,,,,all I have to say to you people is get a life!!!!!!

• Like 2

Poor little cat, you are devastated... and what about people to whom shiiit happens without doing anything wrong ? Stop being ridiculous !

"more of a warning to others not to overstay "  : thank you, but some of us have a brain.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, humqdpf said:

You don't have to condone overstay to feel sorry for the predicament that this person is in. And we have to remember that there are two persons who did nothing wrong here but who are deeply affected, named they child and the father.

It does seem more than harsh that a family should suffer so badly because one broke some administrative rules. Blacklisting in other countries is usually reserved for criminals of the highest order.

Not really. Google  "immigration tears apart family" and a gadzillion hits pop up all over the world.

hummm... i have spent most of the last 18 years outside my home country and never once in all that time have i had a visa issue. it's not difficult.

to be honest i think most people are aware of the penalties for overstaying, the immigration department publicises them widely.

in the end of the day it's, as the thais say, 'up to you' whether you want to follow the rules or not.

• Like 2