Alternative To Excess Baggage

kkw

Alternative to excess baggage costs.

Unaccompanied Baggage.

I have found the Unaccompanied Baggage at the new airport. Thanks to all those who looked.

For all the expats that have to leave Thailand by the end of Dec/Jan we have found a very cheap alternative other than getting ripped off by the airlines. After living here for years one tends to accumulate a lot of extra things.

The cost saving is enormous; we are traveling back to Australia on Royal Bruni. For us to send our excess luggage (23kgs) with the airline the cost was an extra 25630Bt but to send it unaccompanied is 6080Bt.

You can send your baggage before you leave or the same time or after you leave.

The costs are-service charge of 1905Bt and 179Bt per kg. They will charge you either by weight or volume.

Location, on the 4th floor International Departures entrance gate No 8. (We found them at the Lao ticket counter)

Phone 021342010, 11- Mob 0840706767

Hope this help over loaded people.

Alternative to excess baggage costs.

Unaccompanied Baggage.

I have found the Unaccompanied Baggage at the new airport. Thanks to all those who looked.

For all the expats that have to leave Thailand by the end of Dec/Jan we have found a very cheap alternative other than getting ripped off by the airlines. After living here for years one tends to accumulate a lot of extra things.

The cost saving is enormous; we are traveling back to Australia on Royal Bruni. For us to send our excess luggage (23kgs) with the airline the cost was an extra 25630Bt but to send it unaccompanied is 6080Bt.

You can send your baggage before you leave or the same time or after you leave.

The costs are-service charge of 1905Bt and 179Bt per kg. They will charge you either by weight or volume.

Location, on the 4th floor International Departures entrance gate No 8. (We found them at the Lao ticket counter)

Phone 021342010, 11- Mob 0840706767

Hope this help over loaded people.

For those coming the other way, Jetta in Australia can't be beat. They have a web page under that name. I don't know if they do BKK to Australia but they charge 3.25 AUD a kilo full rate and 2.30 AUD per kilo for a student. Emerates charges 24 AUD per excess kilo.

• 4 months later...

Hi - how does this service work exactly. You give them your bag at the airport and they put it on a flight to your destination. Then do you pick it up at the airport?? Would all destination airports have a place to pick up the luggage from. I am flying into Birmingham UK and would be intrested in using this service. Or is it delivered to your home?? - as the comment about having it flown over AFTER you leave makes me think that. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Alix

alixjames - my experience of using an unaccompanied luggage service (from Hong Kong to Edinburgh), is that I had to pick it up from a warehouse near to the airport, (the old airport) in Edinburgh, where I had to open it for inspection by customs. You have to inquire from the company here where they deliver for Birmingham. There's quite a large price differential, so if the hassle of going to pick it up from the designated location isn't too great, then it's the route for you.

I think all excess baggage companies receive your excess baggage, either at the departure airport or pick up at home and then usually promise to forward it within a couple days. They obtain space in airlines baggage compartments on a space available basis and thus at a very low rate.

At the destination airport, the baggage awaits pick up by the passenger at the freight terminal of the airline that the forwarder was able to find space available. The the individual airlines freight terminal proper documentation must be produced and your baggage goes through Customs at the facility.

At the destination airport, the baggage awaits pick up by the passenger at the freight terminal of the airline that the forwarder was able to find space available. The the individual airlines freight terminal proper documentation must be produced and your baggage goes through Customs at the facility.

Because of this route you MAY get lumbered for import tax / duty on your stuff if coming into Thailand. We did at Don Mu(e)ang a couple of years back even though my wife was a returning national and supposedly allowed duty-free import.

Just a word to the wise :o

Absolutely, as Crossly states, there usually is no problem with checked baggage, but if you bring it into Thailand as excess they look at it very closely, and if it isn't all used clothes, watch out, they will do everything to sock you for customs duty, and that definitely includes Thais.

Tea money if nothing else.

Absolutely, as Crossly states, there usually is no problem with checked baggage, but if you bring it into Thailand as excess they look at it very closely, and if it isn't all used clothes, watch out, they will do everything to sock you for customs duty, and that definitely includes Thais.

Tea money if nothing else.

I may need this service to get stuff over to the Philippines. Does anyone have experience getting unaccompanied baggage there?

• 2 weeks later...

I regularly bring back product with me, and I get three bags of 30 kg per bag free. If I have more, I use UPS. They charge a flat $30 for entry paperwork, then 169 baht per kg to the US.

What about Malaysia Airlines? Does anyone know how flexible they are on this issue or alternative ways to deal with them?

My wife and I are only allowed 20KG free check-in luggage. Over that its 750 THB per KG. Once the bag is 30kg, they will not accept it! We have over 2 years of things to take back, mainly new clothes, but the 20 KG is a joke, especially when SOME other airlines let you take 2 check in items each weighing 34 KG each! One item weighing 20KG is a joke and we need to find another solution.

Be careful if making stopovers with lots of baggage, as you may get hit for the charges on both legs. I recently flew from a north american city to Thailand, making a 2 day stopover in a north east asian city. the baggage allowance on almost all airlines is the same from north america to s.e. asia: 2 bags, up to 70 pounds EACH. but if you make a stopover along the way, that is valid ONLY to the stopover point, and then you pay whatever the baggage charges are from N.E. asia to S.E. asia, which can be VERY HIGH. Fortunately, I used my charm and talked my way out of paying the outrageous fees. Remember, a "stopover" on international tickets is considered to be over 24 hours. a "connection", can be up to 23 hours 59 minutes. On a "connection", you don't have to pay twice. On a "stopover" you probably do.

One time on a flight from Bangkok to Europe, I made a stopover of a few days in Dubai. I had lots of luggage. No extra charge from Bangkok, but in Dubai, the weight limits changed, and they wanted about $800 for the excess baggage. I told the guy i would simply carry on the heavy books with me, he said that was OK, and I found the clearly marked escalator, and did that, and didn't have to pay anything. The excess baggage rates were something like 55 euros per KILO of "excess".

One time, I traveled with my dog from Europe to Bangkok. ALL regular European, Middle Eastern and Asian airlines had the same prices for transporting dogs, which went at the excess baggage rates of about 55 euros per kilo. my dog is big, and with the cage and with the water, it was going to cost about $3,000. THen I discovered LTU airlines, out of Dusseldorf, which is not considered a "regular" airline, and not part of the price fixing of the other airlines, and only charged 14 euros per kilo... and they gave me a break cause i was a member of their "club", so it only cost about $300. To transport a dog from North america to Asia, goes NOT by weight, but by a flat fee, I think of $150 ONE WAY. Better to know this stuff BEFORE you get screwed over at the airport counter.

Edited by Weho

fedex 25kg Jumbo pak.THB4100. includes customs clearance and delivery.

To/from/where are you talking about? Restrictions/rules/time frame/pickup/packaging/delivery?

Why even bother posting something so vague? Most of us aren't psychic here.