Fat people paying more on motorcycle taxis in Bangkok - "Wins" say no after sign removed

rooster59

4 minutes ago, sioux2012 said:

er...no one said anything about taxis....there is a very slight difference between a 125cc scooter and a toyota camari, but oh so slight, I can see where you can make a little mistake like this.

Yet strangely, sometimes when you look down, you can still see the asphalt passing beneath your feet.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

Actually..... I think fair pricing is more about space than weight....like when you freight cargo... it's by the cubic meter.

so tall and heavy is ok.... but short and wide.... not so much, cause they infringe (ooze) into others space

It's not actually. Both the weight and the dimensions are taken into consideration when you freight cargo. It's called "volumetric weight", or "dimensional weight".

No problem with people, though - we all have roughly the same density.

Edited by tropo

14 hours ago, Get Real said:

Simple mathematics. If a person is 50 kg compared to 100-110 kg the motorbike will use more fuel depending on the wieght.
There is also a bigger chance that the motorbikes take a harder beating and more damage from a bigger person.
Totally fair and makes everybody else not have to pay for a general raise that surely occurs out of this reason.

Then I guess all you advocates will be happy to pay your airfare indexed to your weight. And of course the base weight by the airlines will a light weight female. You dont know where you are heading when you start to defend an obvious attempt to screw more money out of people. And dont get me wrong I weigh 62 kg. 

What is the max load of a rear tire for a honda scoopy? I bet a fat person from 120kg goes over the max. load so the tire will get extra hot and might explode from it..

So it's totally illegal imo and the insurance won't cover it...

Edited by Thian

80kg surcharge?  I'm 183cm and workout,  When I was 17 I weighed 66kg.  I joined the army and after Basic training and AIT (job training) I weighed 84kg.  Guess I must be considered "fat".

What a joke.  Good thing I don't take these taxi's anyways.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

It's not actually. Both the weight and the dimensions are taken into consideration when you freight cargo. It's called "volumetric weight", or "dimensional weight".

No problem with people, though - we all have roughly the same density.

Lol... density... gotta love that

15 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Something I totally agree with also airlines should charge by your BMA if it's over you should pay by weight this wouldn't effect your height, and work your weight with your luggage.

'Would never fly ... in the states anyway.  The  NAAFP (or whatever) would shop judges until they found one that would hold the practice discriminatory and unconstitutional, and that'd be that.   Besides, don't you think it more cozy sharing your seat with the person next to you?   Maybe it's the normal weight person who should pay more for the extra padding.

5 hours ago, kennw said:

Then I guess all you advocates will be happy to pay your airfare indexed to your weight. And of course the base weight by the airlines will a light weight female. You dont know where you are heading when you start to defend an obvious attempt to screw more money out of people. And dont get me wrong I weigh 62 kg. 

Already, posted and answered about that. Know exactly where I am going with things. You know sometimes you can get on a plane and you suddenly find out that you are sitting beside a person that nearly take up half of your seat too. Here I am not referring to weight, I am referring to size. Like I said before. If a person take up 2 seats instead of one, then it´s the simple mathematics again. Double airfare off course.

This is definately no obious way of screwing people out of money. It´s simply living by the code: If your food and beer consumption costs is high, so will the rest of your life. Ask your health if you can afford it, and after also your wallet!

On 1/29/2017 at 6:04 AM, berybert said:

If  you can afford to be fat you can afford to pay more for services. The extra weight is going to cost the rider more in petrol. Why should fat people get sympathy, make 'em pay.

Sure, and disabled people should pay 3X.

11 hours ago, louse1953 said:

You should come to Issan mate and see what these bikes can handle.

Agree totally. I weight 90kg, mainly because I'm tall, rather than overweight, and the Honda Wave I ride in Thailand doesn't seem affected by the additional load, and when I ride the bike (as opposed to the regular rider who's around 55kg) it doesn't seem to affect fuel economy that much. Going up Doi Suthep with two people & 145kg on board can be a trifle slow, though, but it's slow anyway. The same two people going to or from the airport with another 30kg baggage ... no problem.

Edited by dundas

Just now, sabaii69 said:

Sarcasm. People getting all upity condemning 'fat people' who don't know why they are fat. Some have mobility problems; can't walk or exercise. Shall we just kill them?

Kill whom ever you like. If you want to put a wheel chair on the back of a motorbike I think charging a bit extra would be the last of your problems.

20 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Yes. That thyroid card has been so popular and overused since the 80's.  By  the ways most fat people do not have thyroid issues.  They eat a lot and exercise a little.  

I think they should also charge double for taking two passengers, as that could easily equate to the weight of one 'fat' person. It's interesting that the riders in my soi try to charge me extra (I'm 80kg), but not the 100kg+ Thai who also lives in my building.

Speaking of overweight  people.

When I was in Angeles city many years ago I was siting at a road side bar and there was this big and over weight guy who was trying to get into one of the Trikes.

He got half way in and more or less wedged himself in and could not fit his head in under the canopy and more or less stuck.

Hard to explain how he was all contorted and could not get in any further while stuck and could not get out also

After about 20 seconds of everyone puzzled as to what was happening the Filipinos realised he was stuck and hurting so 2 guys and then finally 4 people pulling and pushing on him and finally got him unstuck

He was angry and started kicking the Tricycle and cursing at the "Stupid Trike".

Go figure.

But they are too small as anyone over 5,10 has to maneuver they way into the affair and sit there slouched down because the over head canopies are too low not allowing a "taller" person to sit upright.

As for the big overweight guy he should not have even attempted to get into the small trike as there was nearly no room for him to fit in and especially the even smaller opening for entering and exiting.

Image result for Angeles city philippines trike bike

On 1/29/2017 at 7:14 AM, ezzra said:

It goes with the mentality that farangs has to pay more because they're rich,

well, no one said you have to have brains or manners to be a moto taxi....

I dont recall seeing anything about foreigners in the article.

So where do you get that?

12 hours ago, Oishii said:

Are you saying that fat people don't use business class?
You are very mistaken. I use business class because the sits fit me. So, I hope you get to sit next to me next time you fly, 'cos I fart a lot too. Hahaha.

No, I mean exactly what I wrote. Rather idiotic to say that large people, I never said fat, don't use business class.

I travel with the worlds best rated airline and I'm allocated a seat next to the window on my own. Good for you that the 'sits' fit you. The seat/bed I use if very comfortable thank you.

So you break wind excessively? A real talent that! As a soldier for 20 years in my youth I have witnessed depraved behaviour at a PhD level that would make your hair curl. However, that was then and this is now, so fortunately I won't have to sit next to any neanderthals, because (not 'cos) of the select choice I make.

I assume from your avatar that you are British, as am I, however I try to show the best of the UK, not the worst. Guffaw, guffaw, guffaw.

On 1/29/2017 at 5:43 AM, vadid said:

Seems pretty sensible, it might actually encourage them to walk and burn of some of that excess fat

yes and using your own "logic" , if you thought more about what you say before actually saying it the excess fat globules thwarting your thinking process might be decreased  .   or not .

3 hours ago, gemguy said:

Speaking of overweight  people.

When I was in Angeles city many years ago I was siting at a road side bar and there was this big and over weight guy who was trying to get into one of the Trikes.

He got half way in and more or less wedged himself in and could not fit his head in under the canopy and more or less stuck.

Hard to explain how he was all contorted and could not get in any further while stuck and could not get out also

After about 20 seconds of everyone puzzled as to what was happening the Filipinos realised he was stuck and hurting so 2 guys and then finally 4 people pulling and pushing on him and finally got him unstuck

He was angry and started kicking the Tricycle and cursing at the "Stupid Trike".

Go figure.

But they are too small as anyone over 5,10 has to maneuver they way into the affair and sit there slouched down because the over head canopies are too low not allowing a "taller" person to sit upright.

As for the big overweight guy he should not have even attempted to get into the small trike as there was nearly no room for him to fit in and especially the even smaller opening for entering and exiting.

Image result for Angeles city philippines trike bike

I've also seen very fat farang sitting on the back of motocy taxi's, the driver had to sit on the tank and pull up very slow or he would do a wheely.

The whole motocy is not designed for that, they better refuse those customers at all. Walking is much healthyier for them but they will sweat like a fish and need a shower after that.

So my conclusion is: Those very fat farang better not come to Thailand, it's too hot for them.

I've also seen them breaking the plastic chairs used everywhere. 

It's also funny to see very fat Thai ladies shopping while holding their daughter/friend so they won't topple over.