Video: Fire breaks out at Phuket's famed Seduction disco on Bangla Rd, Patong

rooster59

Video: Fire breaks out at Phuket's famed Seduction disco on Bangla Rd, Patong 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1485617588_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Fire engines were called to the Seduction disco on Patong’s Bangla Rd at about 8:30pm Saturday (Jan 28) as black smoke billowed out from the second floor of the popular nightclub.

Crowds gathered in front of the club, with some shouting "Fai Mai!" (Fire! in Thai) as fire trucks made their way down the busy walking street, which is open to traffic by day but closed to traffic at night so tourists can parade down the street to enjoy the nightlife.

Just after 10pm a firefighter at the scene confirmed to The Phuket News that all people had been evacuated safely from the building.

"There have been no injuries," the firefighter said.

The firefighter said the fire initially broke out at about 7:45pm, and took firefighters two hours to bring under control.

"The fire is now under control, but we still have fire teams clearing and checknig the building," he said.

"We will not know what caused the fire until police have had the chance to inspect the building and carry out their investigation," he added.

Eye witness Andy Helbling at the scene confirmed that smoke was pouring out of the building by 8pm.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/video-fire-breaks-out-at-phuket-famed-seduction-disco-on-bangla-rd-patong-60827.php#zdb3gJrf8S8GX4KQ.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-29

I arrived at the scene at about 9:45 p.m., having smelt the acrid smoke from as far away as Nanai Road, and not knowing from whence it came, but then found out!

At that time there was still smoke billowing out from the top floor, which if I am correct, is where the restaurant "Higher" is situated and in the photograph flames can be seen coming from that floor.

If it started in Seduction then of course the fire could spread to the top floor.

Three more water trucks arrived at the scene between 10:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. so it would seem as if more reinforcements (water) were needed.

I'm not a frequenter of discos, but I would be surprised if there was much of a crowd in there when the fire started, however I do like the restaurant and it looks like this could well be out of commission for a long time – – shame.

Could it be another one of Thailand's "electrical faults" which caused it?

Edited by xylophone

We have been inside the building this morning with forensic police and checked the source of the fire. Reason was  most likely a cheap 89 THB extension cord where a standing fan was plugged into. The same could be seen later on the internal cctv recording device that the fan caught fire first. 

9 minutes ago, beach said:

We have been inside the building this morning with forensic police and checked the source of the fire. Reason was  most likely a cheap 89 THB extension cord where a standing fan was plugged into. The same could be seen later on the internal cctv recording device that the fan caught fire first. 

Thank you for that input/feedback and it doesn't surprise me as I have seen so many of these awful, cheap extension cords used around the place, many well after their use by date (if indeed that's possible) and many of them with parts of the plastic moulding burnt from previous faults/arcing, but still they are used.

Many of them are an accident (read fire) just waiting to happen.

19 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thank you for that input/feedback and it doesn't surprise me as I have seen so many of these awful, cheap extension cords used around the place, many well after their use by date (if indeed that's possible) and many of them with parts of the plastic moulding burnt from previous faults/arcing, but still they are used.

Many of them are an accident (read fire) just waiting to happen.

Unfortunately... common reckless behavior.

last year I hauled a worker out of my swimming pool, as he was using an electric grinder, whilst in the water... and alarmingly, the extension lead had no plug, but bare wires jammed into the socket holes

Being unable to get the contractor to use air tools, I ended up providing a decent lead, and paying extra to get a scaffold built in the pool, with wood planking... they thing farang crazy!!!

8 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

That makes Tiger and Seduction. Two big fires on a very small street in recent years. That seems to be against standard odds.

Very small street? Depends on your interpretation of 'recent' as well- its all relative.

Some seem to need to strap on the tinfoil hat at the mere scent of something going wrong. Fires happen- that's;s why FIRE DEPARTMENTS exist. It was dealt with quickly, there was minimal damage and no one died- why get paranoid?

17 minutes ago, Deli said:

Business is very slow this season, maybe some insurance money needed to make month's end

..... and we're off! :partytime2:

Edited by Psimbo

16 hours ago, beach said:

Calling these people "forensic police" is a rather generous  phrasing of their skillset.

My experience has been that Thailand  does not have not actual forensic investigators, i.e. having been educated up to international standards as found in Singapore, or Japan or Australia etc. There is a reason why the developed worlds'coroners/medical examiners insist on their own investigations and do not accept conclusions made by Thai personnel.

Phuket Seduction disco fire started in staff change rooms, say Patong police

Eakkapop Thongtub

1485752263_1-org.jpg

Patong Police entered the Seduction disco building on Sunday (Jan 29) and carried out preliminary inspections in their investigation into the fire. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- The fire at Seduction disco on Patong’s famed Bangla Rd on Saturday night (Jan 29) started in the staff change rooms on the upstairs level of the nightclub, police told The Phuket News today.

Police entered the building yesterday and carried out preliminary inspections in their investigation into the fire, confirmed Lt Col Jongserm Preecha, an investigator with the Patong Police.

“We have yet to confirm the exact cause of the fire but witnesses reported that the fire started in the change rooms on second floor,” Col Jongserm told The Phuket News.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-seduction-disco-fire-started-in-staff-change-rooms-say-patong-police-60834.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-30

Perhaps it's me, however the reporting on this seems to be all over the place?

In the very first photo at the beginning of this it would appear that the ceiling of the top floor is well alight, although this latest report says that the blaze had been prevented from reaching the fourth (top) floor? And when I was standing below watching the event in its final throes, smoke was billowing out from the roof on the top section?

Then to confound it all this latest photo looks very much like it is taken in the "Higher" restaurant on the top floor. 

I wonder if we'll ever really know what caused it or will we be subjected to the "run around" that ensued after the Tiger disco fire?