Non Immigrant Visas available from the UK

A friend came here on a visa exempt basis and has extended twice by doing a border run and at the local immigration office.

He is looking for the options available to him for a single entry Non-Imm 'O' visa as a stepping stone to a 12 month extension.

He will apply for a 12 month extension, based on retirement, during his 90 day stay. His funds are already 'seasoning'.

He is in receipt of a UK state pension. He is not married but has a Thai child with his partner.

His choices seem to be:-

Head back to the UK and get a single entry Non Imm 'O'

Head back to the UK and get an O-A visa.

Head to Savanneket and get a Non Imm 'O' single entry based on having a Thai child

Does anyone have any recent experience of the above - and have I missed any other obvious choices ?

Thank you.

A friend came here on a visa exempt basis and has extended twice by doing a border run and at the local immigration office.

He is looking for the options available to him for a single entry Non-Imm 'O' visa as a stepping stone to a 12 month extension.

He will apply for a 12 month extension, based on retirement, during his 90 day stay. His funds are already 'seasoning'.

He is in receipt of a UK state pension. He is not married but has a Thai child with his partner.

His choices seem to be:-

Head back to the UK and get a single entry Non Imm 'O'

Head back to the UK and get an O-A visa.

Head to Savanneket and get a Non Imm 'O' single entry based on having a Thai child

Does anyone have any recent experience of the above - and have I missed any other obvious choices ?

Thank you.

Know someone who did your last option (dependent child) recently. He got an 'O' visa first at Savannaket, returned to Thailand to get a 12 month extension due to dependent child. This was NOT an easy process and involved many conditions by Thai Immigration. Suggest you refer to your local IO for guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Three further possible options:-

Head to Vientiane for a single-entry non-O

Head to Penang for a single-entry non-O.

Do a non-O conversion which would generally require 2 trips to Bangkok 15 days apart (unless he is based in Pattaya).

Edited by OJAS

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

He could only "do a non-O conversion" if he's the legal father.

I think the intent would be to get it based upon qualifying for an extension based upon retirement. But he would need the financial proof required for the extension application but if using the money in the bank it does not need to be in the bank for 60 days.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Know someone who did your last option (dependent child) recently. He got an 'O' visa first at Savannaket, returned to Thailand to get a 12 month extension due to dependent child. This was NOT an easy process and involved many conditions by Thai Immigration. Suggest you refer to your local IO for guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

His local immigration office offered him a retirement extension for 27,000 Baht so I not convinced that their motives are consistent with the current anti-corruption policy !!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

His local immigration office offered him a retirement extension for 27,000 Baht so I not convinced that their motives are consistent with the current anti-corruption policy !!

That would be for the conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then the extension after that. I won't say but I think I know which immigration office that might of been. For that  price it would of included the financial proof.

If he goes out to get a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai he could then apply for the extension based upon retirement if he has the financial proof.

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would be for the conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then the extension after that. I won't say but I think I know which immigration office that might of been. For that  price it would of included the financial proof.

If he goes out to get a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai he could then apply for the extension based upon retirement if he has the financial proof.

Thank you.

He has financial proof. 1m Baht has been seasoning since last week.

Buriram immigration were aware of his bank balance - but yes, they would have converted him via a Non-Imm 'O' entry to a retirement extension. 27,000 Baht for that is corrupt and obscene - an offer @, say, 10,000 Baht to save the trouble of a journey to Laos would perhaps be reasonable. Still corrupt unless immigration introduced the option countrywide.

In view of Dilligad's comments about the relative complexity of the 'parent of a Thai child' route he my be better witha single entry Non-Imm ;O' based on retirement - will Savannaket issue those?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Thank you.

He has financial proof. 1m Baht has been seasoning since last week.

Buriram immigration were aware of his bank balance - but yes, they would have converted him via a Non-Imm 'O' entry to a retirement extension. 27,000 Baht for that is corrupt and obscene - an offer @, say, 10,000 Baht to save the trouble of a journey to Laos would perhaps be reasonable. Still corrupt unless immigration introduced the option countrywide.

In view of Dilligad's comments about the relative complexity of the 'parent of a Thai child' route he my be better witha single entry Non-Imm ;O' based on retirement - will Savannaket issue those?

Savannah does not issues a 90 day O-Visa based on retirment only Vientiane does.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The complexity only comes in when applying for an extension at immigration.

In Savannakhet or Vientiane all that is needed to get a single entry non-o  is his child's birth certificate plus a copy and a copy of their house book registry.

Savannakhet can be difficult to get a single entry for being 50 or over unless proof of being retired is shown. The most common proof is something to show they are getting a pension.

• Like 1