How long would 20k (Australian) last in Thailand?

kimura89

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, kimura89 said:

Thanks for all the replies everyone, this has been really helpful so far. One conclusion I'm drawing is that it's easy to get drawn into the trap of overspending if not careful/disciplined. I put together a more detailed budget so would be keen to get your thoughts whether I've over/underestimated and if there are any items I missed here (There is a calculation in there converting AUD to THB, hence the THB figures being so 'to the dollar') -

Ends up being just a touch under 55k p/m

Outgoing
Food  $             350  ฿          9,314
Rent (AirBNB)  $             600  ฿         15,966
Gym (Jiu-Jitsu)  $             120  ฿          3,193
Water/Electricity  $             150  ฿          3,992
Transport  $             100  ฿          2,661
Alcohol  $             400  ฿         10,644
Ad-Hoc Travel  $             300  ฿          7,983

As AirBNB is illegal do you have the coin to pay for new digs if you get booted out ?

23 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Not sure as I don't need to do them. You also need to make sure that these rentals actually do include the electric because you can run big bills up here running air con continually. Also the locations as you will need to be near the BTS or rely on Taxis.The closer to the BTS, the more the rent though. You also need to arrange some medical insurance. Travel insurance will not cover you over 60 days normally. It's easy to have an accident or get sick here and have a 1 million BHT plus hospital bill as many have found out. 

You can get travel insurance with Bupa in Oz for about $1k.

22 hours ago, kimura89 said:

Will check it out , cheers.

So I did a bit more number crunching with my budget, I could make 50-60k THB a month if need be. Would that be more appropriate you think?

As you tell it,your sport is the reason you are coming,so find out where you club is first and settle near there.

29 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

As you tell it,your sport is the reason you are coming,so find out where you club is first and settle near there.

I wouldn't say it's the sole reason why, but definitely a good motivator.

I can train at other clubs (which there are an abundance around Thailand), which means I can be flexible with locations if there are better ones out there that could be more comfortable to live in and stretch out my money further. Though my coaches will probably be pissed off hahah

How long it lasts come down how you adapt. If you are willing to go find a decent cheat place to live it can be cheap,if you do not bother to look for cheap accommodations,it can be expensive.

If you eat thai food thai style can be cheap. If you eat foreigner food can be expensive.It is all up to you. 5months to 15months all up to you

5 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

How long it lasts come down how you adapt. If you are willing to go find a decent cheat place to live it can be cheap,if you do not bother to look for cheap accommodations,it can be expensive.

If you eat thai food thai style can be cheap. If you eat foreigner food can be expensive.It is all up to you. 5months to 15months all up to you

Happy to eat street food for

the majority of the time with the occasional bit of western food a few times a week 

11 hours ago, lungnorm said:

You talk like you are positive I have not visited Bangkok. Well I have been there many times and even worked there for a couple of months. The sky train is clean but nowhere near as clean as Singapore's. Sure it has some nice Mall's but gee I been there and its a 30 min walk to the nearest toilet. Siam Square eg. I have been to the so called best restaurants there no big deal.The Irish pub or the German pub serves better class meals. Bangkok is not a nice city, for a nice city you should go to Singapore, no crime, very clean, and every taxi driver is not trying to rip you off. You could eat your dinner off the floor of the subway stations or the train carriages floors. I am sorry but in my humble opinion Bangkok is a dump.Especially around the river markets.Don't get me wrong Pom Rak Mon Thai but not Bkk.

The comparison was between Bangkok and Jomtien/ Pattaya dude!!  Where the hell did Singapore come in from??  The sky train is immaculate and is just as clean as S'pores subway and Bangkoks subway is newer and it is absolutely just as clean as singapores and you can chew gum. .  You have to get out of the malls to eat the restaurant scene in BKK is much better too. Singapore is sterile and pretty boring. Taxis cost a lot more than BKK and most taxis use the meter. I have not had one in 8 years not use it.  I don't try to get one that is waiting in Tourist ville ever!  They start at 35 baht and are usually new. The comparison was between BKK and Jimtien!

12 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It is all to do with the hotel act, work permits, short stays, no taxes etc etc. It could come to an end at anytime.
There is lots of info on the web if you do a search.
http://www.thebigchilli.com/news/thailand-makes-it-tough-for-airbnb

So far I know AirBnB is only Illegal, when you rent out less than 1 month.

But that's illegal in general. If you rent more than there is no problem... Or at least I never heared.

7 hours ago, HampiK said:

So far I know AirBnB is only Illegal, when you rent out less than 1 month.

But that's illegal in general. If you rent more than there is no problem... Or at least I never heared.

I'd be planning to rent one for a month , works out cheaper then bouncing around

The comparison was between Bangkok and Jomtien/ Pattaya dude!!  Where the hell did Singapore come in from??  The sky train is immaculate and is just as clean as S'pores subway and Bangkoks subway is newer and it is absolutely just as clean as singapores and you can chew gum. .  You have to get out of the malls to eat the restaurant scene in BKK is much better too. Singapore is sterile and pretty boring. Taxis cost a lot more than BKK and most taxis use the meter. I have not had one in 8 years not use it.  I don't try to get one that is waiting in Tourist ville ever!  They start at 35 baht and are usually new. The comparison was between BKK and Jimtien!

Singapore is only boring if you don't know where to go & Taxis are really cheap here (before you get to Grab or Uber).

But the OP wants to spend time in Thailand, I don't know how set he is on Bangkok (his money will go a lot further in places like Chaing Mai) but 20k Aus$ will Last him however long he needs it to I (gu)estimate it could last me 5 months but at least 1/3rd would be gone in the 1st month before I calmed down (actually that's less than I spent (including hotels & flights) on my last 6 day trip but it was Xmas) ...

1 minute ago, JB300 said:

Singapore is only boring if you don't know where to go & Taxis are really cheap here (before you get to Grab or Uber).

But the OP wants to spend time in Thailand, I don't know how set he is on Bangkok (his money will go a lot further in places like Chaing Mai) but 20k Aus$ will Last him however long he needs it to (I (gu)estimate it could last me 5 or 6 months but at least 1/3rd would be gone in the 1st month before I calmed down (actually that's less than I spent (including hotels) on my last 6 day trip but it was Xmas) ...

For context on my spending habits. I did 5 weeks through Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand last year and spent around just over 2k on food, drinks, taxis, tours and general entertainment altogether. (not including flights and hotels) and I was in full tourist mode as well, eating a lot of overpriced western food, room service, imported alcohol etc etc.

For context on my spending habits. I did 5 weeks through Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand last year and spent around just over 2k on food, drinks, taxis, tours and general entertainment altogether. (not including flights and hotels) and I was in full tourist mode as well, eating a lot of overpriced western food, room service, imported alcohol etc etc.

Sounds like you'll have no problem at all then [emoji106]

But again, why BKK & not one of the Islands or CM, UT etc???

4 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Sounds like you'll have no problem at all then emoji106.png

But again, why BKK & not one of the Islands or CM, UT etc???

I enjoyed CM when I was there, I could be mistaken but it didn't seem as lively as Bangkok. Just thought I might get bored there quickly, though I wasn't there for very long so I can't really form a solid opinion.

Happy to be sold on CM over Bangkok :)

I enjoyed CM when I was there, I could be mistaken but it didn't seem as lively as Bangkok. Just thought I might get bored there quickly, though I wasn't there for very long so I can't really form a solid opinion.

Happy to be sold on CM over Bangkok :)

You won't be if it's "Lively" you're looking for... But Pattaya is a good cheaper option (& I don't mean just for the girls) [emoji106]

3 minutes ago, JB300 said:

You won't be if it's "Lively" you're looking for... But Pattaya is a good cheaper option (& I don't mean just for the girls) emoji106.png

To clarify , just in terms of things to do, entertainment (not hookers), good food and big city vibrance etc.

To clarify , just in terms of things to do, entertainment (not hookers), good food and big city vibrance etc.

Define "Things to do"...

I love Bangkok, everytime I fly into Swampy/DM I have a huge grin on my face, but after a few days I just need to get out of there & go somewhere a bit more chillaxed.

Pattaya has lots to do (outside of the hookers) though to be honest if I was an Aussie I'd probably hit up Bali because I love beaches & the main places in Thailand struggle a bit in that department.

Though being an Aussie you have more than enough awesome beaches of your own (care to swap one for say Blackpool Beach :))

• 3 weeks later...