Chiangmai Traffic Police Poster

thetruth revealer

So is this just aimed at tourists ?, I am sure Thai drivers would never commit

any of those offences,and the Police must think the same,they should add

running red lights to that, and what does Gripe and Fine mean.

regards Worgeordie

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Everything is in Thai first.

In my practical experience, 15 years, of driving most days in CM.

The majority of traffic accidents, as shown by the white drawings on the road occur on the approaches to Traffic Lights. 

I will suggest that this is caused by the extremely short time that the  'Amber' light is on, 3 secs max in my opinion.

Drivers do not have time to slow down for the Red light and so many, myself included, have crossed on a red light.

On the occasion I was caught I had to pay at Police Station.

2 Sgts on the desk. Senior Sgt says Red light, B400. I said but EVERYONE goes through Red light.

Both burst out laughing. The junior Sgt was having a 'Fit' in stitches as we say.

Senior still laughing starts tapping desk saying Sea Loy, Sea Loy (Spelling).

I paid they issued a receipt and they were still giggling as I left.

john

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

...exactly my thougts..... reckless driving and use road as parking lot surely isnt what a tourist usually does here????

Maybe they had to refer to tourists first, for not admitting that its mainly corresponding to locals??? Save face ????

Edited by thetruth revealer

Drivers do not have time to slow down for the Red light and so many, myself included, have crossed on a red light.

On the occasion I was caught I had to pay at Police Station.

I have never seen anyone caught running a red light. How to they get you? In my experience, one to five or six vehicles run the light every cycle. How do you stop half a dozen speeding vehicles after they run the light? 

Do you honestly think if the yellow light was longer it would make one iota of difference? I don't. 

This sign was posted so the cops can point to it when pulling tourists over in their unwarranted and without probable cause traps. It has zero to do with Thais. 

"Gripe" is a poor translation of the Thai word จับ which most would translate as "catch".  That's the No. 1 listing using Google translate.  "gripe" is on the list, but W-A-Y down, after other more sensible translations like "seize"  and "grab".   A more sensible translation would have been "caught and you'll be fined" 

With an almost total lack of traffic law enforcement, nearly complete disregard for traffic laws by the locals mixed in with being one of the most dangerous places in the world to drive, they want to lecture tourists?

I don't get it.

Edited by Roger Lee

If the English translation is dodgy one can only wonder what the Chinese translation says.

I spoke to an American girl who managed to get a parking ticket the other day. She said she parked tidily on the end of a row of other motorbikes. Policeman told her that her bike was "outside the parking zone". She was fined 200 Bt. Happy days being a Chiang Mai policeman I guess.

21 minutes ago, NancyL said:

"Gripe" is a poor translation of the Thai word จับ which most would translate as "catch".  That's the No. 1 listing using Google translate.  "gripe" is on the list, but W-A-Y down, after other more sensible translations like "seize"  and "grab".   A more sensible translation would have been "caught and you'll be fined" 

Or in English "Get caught and you'll be fined"

I can never understand why the police can't get everybody wearing a helmet. Offences such as running a red light can be defended and require evidence but a rider is either wearing a helmet or not. It would be a simple matter to station police checkpoints along the major roads and whacking EVERY transgressor,with an on the spot fine or taking their keys. If this was an intensive blitz EVERYBODY would be wearing a helmet within a week or two. Imagine how much revenue they would raise.

52 minutes ago, NancyL said:

...cant they afford a professional translater for official announces like that?instead using online google translation ???? :shock1:

11 minutes ago, Patmalone said:

They have just put up a sign that says what 90% of Thai's do, and that includes kids that can ride a motor bike.

...not to mention the POLICEMEN breaking the rules themself , just for pleasure and show off.

...a few days ago, saw this  , after Checkpoint fining Motorbikes , cutting off the whole street into the traffic in daylight. Because he is wearing Uniform he can do .

TIT

2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

The majority of traffic accidents, as shown by the white drawings on the road occur on the approaches to Traffic Lights. 

I will suggest that this is caused by the extremely short time that the  'Amber' light is on, 3 secs max in my opinion.

No, the majority of the accidents is due to the fact that most Thais don't look past their noses when they drive.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

In point no.8, the Chinese means "passing thru the road" only; the most important word "illegally" is missing!

42 minutes ago, Saladin said:

I can never understand why the police can't get everybody wearing a helmet. Offences such as running a red light can be defended and require evidence but a rider is either wearing a helmet or not. It would be a simple matter to station police checkpoints along the major roads and whacking EVERY transgressor,with an on the spot fine or taking their keys. If this was an intensive blitz EVERYBODY would be wearing a helmet within a week or two. Imagine how much revenue they would raise.

Surely you jest.... I have seen many checkpoints setup in various locations....  The Thais riding scooters without a helmet has seen them too. They will just halt before the checkpoint, turn around, and then take a different route to their destination. It's funny to watch.

56 minutes ago, Saladin said:

I have made the suggestion several times in the hope it will be noticed, that instead of having a policeman waving all the school kids out of the schools on motorcycles at the end of school, they should refuse to allow any of them out unless helmets are being worn.

This should be reinforced by the school teachers with a regular road safety talk.

Need to should somewhere, and educating the parents doesn't work.

1 hour ago, Saladin said:

Shot in Chiang Mai , Huai Kaeo rd ( rd 1004 ) at the lights of MAYA , two years ago

PB243750_Chiang Mai_In the town.JPG