Phu Kradueng National Park.. what is there to do?

Jinxed

I'm not going to have a complain but me and a few thai friends are heading here this week for a 3 day camping trip, I was just told campfires are not allowed?? Camping without a campfire - is this true?

What about alcohol, I also read there is a ban on alcohol too. So just curious, what is there to do exactly except go to sleep at sunset?

Well...many things to do there.  After 7-10 hours of walking up the hills by passing many stop of foods and drinks vendors (no need to bring any foods or drinks with you) if you still have energy to walk around the top plateau to see many of pines trees, views and plaine plateau fields.  You can rent bicycle to go around the plateau, go see foods vendors stores(again no need to bring any foods or drinks up there) but alcohols I am not sure if they allow?  There are several bungalows to stay over night or renting the tent to stay.  And in early morning wake up to see sunrise at the beautiful view point with the ranger guide.  And then walking down another 6-8 hours.  You can then go to Loei or Chiang Kan for over night.  Enjoy your stay at Phu Kradueng.

Wife and I went there a few years back.      It's a long, about 5 hour, but not particularly difficult climb to the top.    There are places to stop along the way to eat/drink.     They also provide porters to carry your luggage/backpacks at very cheap rates per kilo (see pic).     You can rent a tent and blankets at the camping area.    Many food shops at the camping  area so no need to bring food.     No alcohol allowed in any national parks including this one.    What to do?    Not much.    The main adventure seems to be in the long climb up then back down.      As already mentioned you can rent a bike for a few hours.    Their are elephants about so you might get to see one.   We didn't but we did hear them.    Nice place to go one time and now Jan/Feb is a great time to visit as the weather will be cool and no rain so no leeches.     If possible try to arrange your trip during the week and avoid the weekends as they can get very crowded at  that time.   

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

Edited by Spaniel
add additional info

I've camped at quite a few NPs here (not phu kradeung yet) and not once has the no alcohol rule been enforced - 8 out of 10 tents are drinking - We was drinking Sangsom with the rangers on Doi Inthanon.

And why not? a few beers after dinner sat in the outdoors is great.

The campfire rule is mostly enforced, though if you take a BBQ and fire that up no one complains.

As for what to do, well thats up to you, what do you enjoy? camping is fun in itself, take a footy, or badminton, do some trekking, swim in the waterfalls, relax in some hotsprings, take a guitar and sing thai songs badly, take a laptop/phone and watch some netflix......

What is there to do at home after sunset?

14 hours ago, jonw8uk said:

I've camped at quite a few NPs here (not phu kradeung yet) and not once has the no alcohol rule been enforced - 8 out of 10 tents are drinking - We was drinking Sangsom with the rangers on Doi Inthanon.

And why not? a few beers after dinner sat in the outdoors is great.

The campfire rule is mostly enforced, though if you take a BBQ and fire that up no one complains.

As for what to do, well thats up to you, what do you enjoy? camping is fun in itself, take a footy, or badminton, do some trekking, swim in the waterfalls, relax in some hotsprings, take a guitar and sing thai songs badly, take a laptop/phone and watch some netflix......

What is there to do at home after sunset?

last time i went to phu kradueng was around 1998 or so and we took beer no problem, also many Thais with Whiskey too.  However that was a long time ago.