Pressure regulator for hill side irrigation

canopy

I have irrigation on a hill side. The top has 4 bar of pressure and so the bottom has 9 bar since the elevation change is 50 meters. So the idea is to install pressure regulators on the main line at intervals so the drip irrigation can have 1 or 2 bar at each branch along the way. Is this the best way to go? Are pressure regulators for this type of application sold anywhere? I haven't seen any.

Fruit trees are planted all over the hill at all elevations.

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but to be honest the solution drawn looks awfully convoluted. I can't think of anything good about adding a bunch of tanks, float valves, wiring, and a maze of pipes. It also seems to require valves to prevent bleeding out water buffered in each of the tanks. My idea is just a handful of pressure regulators placed inline at elevation intervals; no tanks, no wiring, no valves. Thanks for mentioning one possible source for that.

53 minutes ago, canopy said:

Fruit trees are planted all over the hill at all elevations.

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but to be honest the solution drawn looks awfully convoluted. I can't think of anything good about adding a bunch of tanks, float valves, wiring, and a maze of pipes. It also seems to require valves to prevent bleeding out water buffered in each of the tanks. My idea is just a handful of pressure regulators placed inline at elevation intervals; no tanks, no wiring, no valves. Thanks for mentioning one possible source for that.

No worries. No wires involved just some 2" & 1" pipe and valves plus 3 tanks. Was an interesting workaround for me for half an hour.

Site with pressure regulators any help?

They didn't respond to email so I called them and each regulator costs 20,000 baht. I am used to prices being a fraction of that for high quality valves so I didn't find it to be a reasonable option unfortunately.

1 hour ago, canopy said:

They didn't respond to email so I called them and each regulator costs 20,000 baht. I am used to prices being a fraction of that for high quality valves so I didn't find it to be a reasonable option unfortunately.

just a thought, near us in udon thani we have a sort of chinese street that sell everything,  hardware come machine shops, in the past when i have been looking for odd bits ie valves/fittings/pumps ect they always seem to have what i want, if not they send a lad out a a bike and in no time he is back with said bits......... maybe worth a hunt for this type of shop in your area?

Hello All, why don't you get the the pressure regulator that most people

that sell drip tapes make? Super Products sells them as does Netafim.

I've used them on all my drip tape systems, 3/4" through 4".

S-P has them in their O/L cat as well as Netafim & Naan Dan-Jarain,

rice555

In fact I already tried the Super Products pressure regulator which are not even 1000 baht. But the problem is they do nothing. I verified using pressure gauges that the output pressure was always equal to the input pressure--no reduction at all. I contacted the company and they had me perform several tests at different pressures, flows, and setups all of which resulted in the part again doing absolutely nothing to reduce pressure. They then washed their hands of the matter by stating their product would do nothing unless there was a flow of at least 10,000 liters per hour through the pipe. Say what? To move that kind of water requires a humongous pump and thousands of emitters to consume it and I told them I doubted customers buying their product would ever meet such stringent requirements. They in turn said it was my fault for not consulting them before purchasing their product. Needless to say I lost a lot of confidence in that company and would caution others there are undocumented limitations in their product line that seem unreasonable.

Edited by canopy

hi canopy. In hospital today but will sketch out simpler solution tomorrow.

Looks convoluted above but is really quite simple. Two tanks with ballcock floats replace pressure reducing valves, simple to install and no maintenance once set up. Tanks around 800THB each, ballcocks not much.

Thought the valves would be expensive, one guy bought a relief valve from them, 9,000THB and he really didnt need it.

If you want.....

Edited by grollies

10 hours ago, canopy said:

In fact I already tried the Super Products pressure regulator which are not even 1000 baht. But the problem is they do nothing. I verified using pressure gauges that the output pressure was always equal to the input pressure--no reduction at all. I contacted the company and they had me perform several tests at different pressures, flows, and setups all of which resulted in the part again doing absolutely nothing to reduce pressure. They then washed their hands of the matter by stating their product would do nothing unless there was a flow of at least 10,000 liters per hour through the pipe. Say what? To move that kind of water requires a humongous pump and thousands of emitters to consume it and I told them I doubted customers buying their product would ever meet such stringent requirements. They in turn said it was my fault for not consulting them before purchasing their product. Needless to say I lost a lot of confidence in that company and would caution others there are undocumented limitations in their product line that seem unreasonable.

I paid less than Bt.300. for the 3/4" and Bt.700. for the 1.5". 

What size were you using? You are sure the plunger moved up and down? It's virtually the

same as Netafim product, they do have replacement spring in BKK.The 3/4" come in 0.6, 1.1 and 1.4 bar. The springs used are the same 3/4" through 4".

You could use a gate valve(s) to regulate flow and the pressure regulator to keep the pressure

at the desired fixed pressure? I've never had a tape rupture from excessive pressure.

rice555

I use 1-1/2" w/ 40mm pipe. Super Products sent me 6 new parts at first seeming to think it might be the springs; none of them ever worked for any tests they had me run. Of course they are oriented with the arrow matching the flow. In each test the 2 sprung parts would pop all the way out. Below is one particular test configuration failure.

water.jpg

Gate valves are a cheap solution, but pesky and need readjusted anytime something changes like additions, removals, different pressure entering the system so not as desirable. Next step is to buy pressure regulators from a more reputable company.