Careful of toxic Strawberries around Chiang Mai

DumbFalang

Plenty of factual scientific analysis has been done...no disputing the facts.

https://peerj.com/articles/2432/

some of the articles produced slightly different results caused by a different source of study material....however the underlying truth is that organic is often not,

and that the big supermarkets are no better than the fresh food markets.

at times considerably worse.......some vegetables are nearly always free of toxic residue....cabbage, watermelon.....and some are dangerously loaded...kale, spinach.

the humble orange was the worst of the fruits, guava also very bad.

read some research and it would be wise to be guided by that research.

clean your fruit and vegetables..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK - I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and give away 5 boxes of 'safe' Strawberries to the first 5 Thai Visa members who PM me to reserve them for collection at Starbucks in Central Airport between 2pm and 3pm (it's buy one get one free day at Starbucks).

16441607_1209683805751817_308392138_n.jpg

You can also reserve them if you can collect anywhere on the main roads between Samoeng and Central Airport in the next few hours ;-)

How do you folks expect to grow a fruit that has a soft skin, grows at ground level, and is attractive to just about any pest imaginable? Unless a strawberry is certified organic one can assume it contains toxic chemicals. Fortunately most of us don't really eat that many strawberries and, living near Samoeng where strawberry fields seem to go on forever,, most of the Thai strawberries are just too easy to decline.

Happy Trails

1 hour ago, Johpa said:

How do you folks expect to grow a fruit that has a soft skin, grows at ground level, and is attractive to just about any pest imaginable? Unless a strawberry is certified organic one can assume it contains toxic chemicals. Fortunately most of us don't really eat that many strawberries and, living near Samoeng where strawberry fields seem to go on forever,, most of the Thai strawberries are just too easy to decline.

Happy Trails

As you say, strawberry fields forever.

Nothing is real

There are few true facts on this thread, perhaps.

True facts?

Are these guys the original beetles?

Is it true we should stop eating strawberries?

All utter nonsense without some reliable data, which seems to be missing here.

You can already test for heavy metals with a smartphone. You attach a small lab instrument, drop in a special vial (one-time-use only) and, presto you read f.ex. the mercury level...

UCLA and others are doing a lot of research.

On 1/31/2017 at 0:18 PM, worgeordie said:

I have never eaten Strawberries since the Guy that was emptying our septic tank,

said he was taking the sh@t up to the Strawberry fields,so it's not just toxic spray

you should be worried about.

regards worgeordie

Trouble is that what doesn't go into the Strawberry fields usually goes into the rice paddies, after dark needless to say.....

Just having a large bowl of strawberries, grapes and kiwi Fruit, all washed thoroughly and dried then topped with whipped cream.  Didn't any one tell those of you who are missing out on the good life to always wash your fruit and vegetables before consuming. It was followed up by a bottle of strawberry juice. You lot don't know what your missing.:wai:

The original post is extremely valid, all of the people in our village (Thais) have had blood tests by the local government, everyone has pesticide in their system My wife's blood is one step down from "danger" as indicated on her results.

The more worrying thing is that all of the fruit growers in this village have been issued with local government certificates to say that their fruit is "Organic" not one tree has been inspected and everyone of them uses all manner of chemicals.

So even organic means absolutely nothing here.

On 1/31/2017 at 11:19 AM, mamborobert said:

And the proven CM fatality/injury/disease  rate from these killer strawberries is what.  zip nil nada.

<deleted>.

Maybe start another thread..perhaps they are GM strawberies.....then we have toxic mutant killer strawberries.

Would not the same or similar sprays be used for commercial  rice, corn, pineapple, papaya, chilli, etc 

If you have legitimate serious concerns why not take up with Agriculture or Health Depts or at least post some proven info on science and extent of use and by who to them etc.

Everyone in CM has little or not control over tthe food supply chain.....thank God this type of thing never happens in other countries :)  otherwise we would have mad cow/BSE  in places like the UK and USA, or bird flu in Japan and Korea.

Perhaps we should all eat McDonalds..... (sorry forget about sugar and salt content).

And there I was thinking all I had to worry about for the next few months health wise was burning season and Songkran

My God I am a living miracle at my advanced age. My body must be pesticide resistant. Rather a bit of a rant but then ranting is allowed. Just another of the many faceted opinions that are blown of here. 

Oh that is were only strawberries that are loaded with toxic petroleum-derived agricultural pesticides, herbicides & fungicides. Unfortunately it's most food crops.

But don't worry, the governments of the world — including your home country — tell us these sprays are safe, as do their manufactures. Bon appetit. 

On 1/31/2017 at 11:19 AM, mamborobert said:

And the proven CM fatality/injury/disease  rate from these killer strawberries is what.  zip nil nada.

<deleted>.

Maybe start another thread..perhaps they are GM strawberies.....then we have toxic mutant killer strawberries.

Would not the same or similar sprays be used for commercial  rice, corn, pineapple, papaya, chilli, etc 

If you have legitimate serious concerns why not take up with Agriculture or Health Depts or at least post some proven info on science and extent of use and by who to them etc.

Everyone in CM has little or not control over tthe food supply chain.....thank God this type of thing never happens in other countries :)  otherwise we would have mad cow/BSE  in places like the UK and USA, or bird flu in Japan and Korea.

Perhaps we should all eat McDonalds..... (sorry forget about sugar and salt content).

And there I was thinking all I had to worry about for the next few months health wise was burning season and Songkran

Keep telling yourself this if that's what you need to get yourself through the night.

Most people don't want to think about this sort of stuff because they can't be bothered to do anything about it. Ignorance is bliss. 

21 hours ago, GiantBlob said:

I once lived in New England, as opposed to old England, and in summer months there was nothing better than sour strawberries and white processed sugar.

I Knew a guy here in Oz who started a hydroponic strawberry farm and really did his research re quality.    Apart from whatever fertilisers he used etc.,   he improved the size and sweetness by multiple pollination  by bees from the hive that was inside the huge covered area that was sealed from the outside.   The results were  noticeable in the many  layers of each fruit and they were good.   If one had a bee hive or three there for the purpose (and not covered plot) and there were  other farms nearby look out for their toxic sprays.  Bees usually wont go further than they need but if yours are not in flower, look out; they will wander.

There is a proven connection with a certain herbicide and Parkinsons. That''s just for starters. 

There's a huge hormonal connection between extremely minute pesticide levels in a newly pregnant mother and the disruption of the messages that should go to the foetus to signal the start of the growth of either the ovaries or testicles about  day 14 after conception.          Incomplete growth causes huge complications for that child starting at puberty,  becoming parents, through menopause and beyond . That's just for starters.

Even extremely low levels of the contraceptive pill still present in mum after conception can exhibit hormone disruptor characteristics.  Sprays are very bad in just this subject alone.

Hmmm, there have been some very tasty strawberries on sale at my local market lately. The strawberries I've had in previous years in Thailand have been very hit and miss with regards to flavour. Often they've looked good but made for fairly tasteless eating, but the ones my wife has been buying the last week have been pretty good. I always wash them under the tap but guess I'll be using that bottled stuff you get in the supermarket to wash vegies with from now on. In the past a simple present to bring back from Australia has always been a few punnets of strawberries. Everyone comments on how delicious they are compared to the Thai ones.

Pineapple in the local markets, should be safe? The small ones the seller slices up in front of you, so good.

34 minutes ago, kkerry said:

Pineapple in the local markets, should be safe? The small ones the seller slices up in front of you, so good.

Some 10 years ago got talking with some Sunshine coast??  people in Oz (North of Brisbane anyway) who lived right near a pineapple processing plant where they somehow burnt the skins. The couple had incredible sickness from the smoke and tests for pesticides were the culprit. They of course moved away. 

2 hours ago, Formaleins said:

The original post is extremely valid, all of the people in our village (Thais) have had blood tests by the local government, everyone has pesticide in their system My wife's blood is one step down from "danger" as indicated on her results.

The more worrying thing is that all of the fruit growers in this village have been issued with local government certificates to say that their fruit is "Organic" not one tree has been inspected and everyone of them uses all manner of chemicals.

So even organic means absolutely nothing here.

Oh that's absolutely terrible mate. Sorry to hear that and not just for your your wife but other workers and consumers.    Smelling like  a (corrupt) rat in the system there?    Many pesticides etc are referred to as Xeno-Oestrogens, mimicking or false Oestrogens and amongst many things cause breast cancer.  As if the road toll isn't high enough, the long term effect of your revelations will take its toll.     So the question has to be asked; how much of the Thai food we buy here in Oz is contaminated?    BTW -- The Oz government some years ago increased the acceptable level of Aflatoxin  for imported peanuts,  from where I don't know.

Leave a message if you wish and I can assist  you to research your own research. 

Edited by Jing Joe
Typo error

It's well known in America that strawberries are one of the top 3 foods cultivated with the most pesticides.

I visited a strawberry farm last year.  They claimed it was organic.  Were they lying?  Who knows?  The only way to verify is to randomly take samples and test for pesticides.  ?

On 1/31/2017 at 0:24 PM, DumbFalang said:

One sad thing we don't get to hear about much is the long term damage that it does to the poor workers using the spray machines. These people probably have little knowledge of how dangerous the sprays are and even if they knew, they'd probably still have to do it because they need the money.

Sad that so many miss this - great post - amazing how some people only think of themselves and completely forget the workers.

Last year we decided to grow all our own fruits and vegetables - extra work - sure but we feel that it is worth it.

On 2/1/2017 at 1:25 AM, TheFishman1 said:

Shit now I can eat strawberry what's next apples which fruits are safe hereTIT

Apples and strawbs are about the worst of the fruits with regard to pesticide contamination. You best stick with thick skinned fruits such as citrus, the artocarpus family which includes Durian, Jakfruit and Chempedak; bananas, pineapple and things like Watermelon and Tamarinds. Mind you, there's no escape from systemic pesticides such as herbicides and most of the chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides.

16 hours ago, surinteacher2016 said:

Same back home. Once I visited a S farm and the workers were spraying wearing full suits and masks. Needless to say I didn't buy any off them when leaving. 

A very good post - how often will you see Thai farmers wearing the correct gear? 

The spraying is quite harmful to them and buying that fruit supports this practice.

I have read about some small family farms in America returning to organic farming both for safety and profit long term you will make much more money both from higher prices, less health problems and improved soil from composting.

OK - I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and give away 5 boxes of 'safe' Strawberries to the first 5 Thai Visa members who PM me to reserve them for collection at Starbucks in Central Airport between 2pm and 3pm (it's buy one get one free day at Starbucks).

16441607_1209683805751817_308392138_n.jpg.3bad11cdf9016fbd8553cb1ab79df7c4.jpg

You can also reserve them if you can collect anywhere on the main roads between Samoeng and Central Airport in the next few hours ;-)

Why do give them away ? Not interested in business ?

11 hours ago, balo said:

Why do give them away ? Not interested in business ?

kkerry figured it out ;-)

It's my wife's business and a hobby to me. We both enjoy peoples reactions when they taste our Strawberries so 5 boxes is not a big deal - regardless of any future business that may come from giving them away.

If anyone is not comfortable receiving anything for free, then drop into the farm next time you are in Samoeng and I'm sure the missus will be happy to take your cash :welcomeani:

Edited by DumbFalang

I haven't pored over every single post here, but I do know that strawberries are at very high risk for absorbing toxic pesticides.

I don't fret over everything I put into my mouth here, but "caveat emptor" with regard to strawberries--and not just Thailand!

This has been a very informational thread.  Thanks to the OP and others who have provided fact-based info.

Strawberries aside, for those of you who are serious about what you eat, I just want to point out that there is a Farming in Thailand section on this forum and a sub forum about Organic farming.

I find one TV member in particular to be very knowledgeable and helpful and his forum name is DrTreeLove. Check out this thread for starters...

On 02/02/2017 at 8:15 PM, AlfonsV said:

if you dip the strawberries in fish sauce as many people at least in the North do, then it is not important how ripe and tasty they are (or not)

At first I thought you were joking Alfons.  I could only think of one step worse and that is to dip strawberries into Boodoo.  :shock1:        Did I spell it ok?      Nearly rhymes with Dog Poo and smells like it.  Oh well, up to them,  so what is the gastronomical equivalent of;-  "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"  ?    Surely even with ordinary fish sauce there would also be impurity questions you have raised other than ripeness and taste?