Don't brew beer at home (or in toilet), Prayuth says

snoop1130

Don't brew beer at home (or in toilet), Prayuth says

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

prayuth.wine_-696x462.jpg

Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha is what you might call a water man, at July 26, 2016 photo taken at the Government House in Bangkok. Photo: Government House

BANGKOK — Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha used his podium at Government House on Tuesday afternoon to slam craft beer, saying rules forbidding making beer at home ensure hygiene and safety.

Long-brewing sentiments frothed into public consciousness last week when a man was arrested for making and selling from his Nonthaburi home, leading the junta chief to pour cold water on calls for more freedom in the market.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2017/01/31/dont-brew-beer-home-toilet-prayuth-says/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-1-31

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“You can’t just brew it in the back of a shop, in the back of your house, or in your toilet,” Prayuth said. “There have to be rules and regulations.”

Clearly has no idea how well organised the set up of the guy, who was arrested last week, was.

Edited by Bluespunk

29 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

If the beer making process lacks the smallest amount of hygiene then the beer will go bad, smell like eggs, and be undrinkable.  So the case of hygiene and safety is a non starter.

Hush, what has truth (or logic) got to do with it?

Alternative facts  from the uncle ... well, they where always quick to 'copy' ... 

“There used to be a lot of moonshine going around. Could they control the quality, the hygiene, or the strength of it? Big breweries can but can small brewers?” Prayuth said.

Source: article linked to in the OP

Once again he proves he has no idea what he is talking about and is talking through his....or, he is just preventing competition for the large Thai breweries that are producing arguably the worst beer in Asia. 

The process of distilling moonshine and the brewing of beer are totally different. Usually, with distilling, the first 20% of the alcohol to come out needs to be tossed. However, Thai moonshiners, being maximum profit motivated, divide the 20% among all the bottles they fill. And there is a substantial risk to drinking the product when this is done.

Beer, on the other hand, obtains its alcohol from the yeast converting malt sugars into alcohol, and never hits the distillery. If beer does go bad, it will have a very unpleasant odor and off taste.. Even if one drinks it, there is little chance of becoming seriously ill.

Edited by Maestro
added source for the quoted text

Does anyone know if Beer Leo have changed their ingredients? Haven't had it for a while and sunk 5 bottles last Friday night. Woke up with the worst headache. Was similar to a Changover.  Never had that problem before. 

As for him telling people not to brew their own - absolutely. People might discover what a real beer can taste like and not wanna buy the sub par few beers on offer. 

54 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

If the beer making process lacks the smallest amount of hygiene then the beer will go bad, smell like eggs, and be undrinkable.  So the case of hygiene and safety is a non starter.

Correct I do make my own beer in OZ I spend hours cleaning my equipment 

otherwise it will be off so you can ban me but that guy is an arfffhole and knows nothing about the real world

43 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

“There used to be a lot of moonshine going around. Could they control the quality, the hygiene, or the strength of it? Big breweries can but can small brewers?” 

Once again he proves he has no idea what he is talking about and is talking through his....or, he is just preventing competition for the large Thai breweries that are producing arguably the worst beer in Asia. 

The process of distilling moonshine and the brewing of beer are totally different. Usually, with distilling, the first 20% of the alcohol to come out needs to be tossed. However, Thai moonshiners, being maximum profit motivated, divide the 20% among all the bottles they fill. And there is a substantial risk to drinking the product when this is done.

Beer, on the other hand, obtains its alcohol from the yeast converting malt sugars into alcohol, and never hits the distillery. If beer does go bad, it will have a very unpleasant odor and off taste.. Even if one drinks it, there is little chance of becoming seriously ill.

Incorrect! Any  fermentation  that is  not  anaerobic produces  methanol instead of  ethanol. Even  home  brew  beer  has the potential to  kill! Distillation  only  increases  the potential unless the  methanol is  combined  with  ethanol.  Open  bath brewed beer  has done  a lot of  damage  in history as  has moonshine.

My take is that the warning is  not  about the brewing  but the  profiteering aspect. Many  Thai  home brew despite the law. Much of it is  not beer .

2 hours ago, thai3 said:

Actually Thailand does not produce real beer at all, just weak, fizzy and mostly tasteless imitations. :sad:

Clearly you haven't sampled the craft beer produced in those boutique workshops in Nonthaburi.

I can assure you, they were easily comparable to fine ales that CAMRA would approve.

What an idiotic prime-ministerial move to shoot down a promising cottage industry that could have been the envy of many other countries!

Thailand 0.4 entrapped by its own fears and absurd fantasies of control. What next? Outlaw home cooking? :sad:

Edited by Morakot

17 hours ago, Thian said:

It does give real headaches though.

How true.  Some of the worst headaches I have had came after drinking Singha many years ago.   I now absolutely refuse to drink Singha.  I also like to avoid any Thai beer and go for the German imports.

15 hours ago, Morakot said:

Clearly you haven't sampled the craft beer produced in those boutique workshops in Nonthaburi.

I can assure you, they were easily comparable to fine ales that CAMRA would approve.

What an idiotic prime-ministerial move to shoot down a promising cottage industry that could have been the envy of many other countries!

Thailand 0.4 entrapped by its own fears and absurd fantasies of control. What next? Outlaw home cooking? :sad:

Don't give the moronic general any ideas.

31 minutes ago, Morakot said:

Nonthaburi may be the source of  some great beers which  must either be being produced  on some  scale or secretly to your priviledged  knowledge. However you ignore the  nub of  my comment. Is it not practical to advise at least officially that the random  home brewing of  anything is  deemed illegal in the  vague  hope that it will avert many instances of  methanol poisoning by profiteers  down a  back street  or  road. There  seems to be  an increasing  number  of boutique wineries that have obviously  satisfied  appropriate legitimacy. Surely a  legitimate  beer producer could  achieve same.

All the Two Thai beeropolie  need to doto be scared of lost profit  is see how much the craft brew industry has cost the Big three brewer in the USA... they have lost market share and had to buy up many of these breweries.

Home brew is very easy to make,, my 40 l system is top quality.. I even add O2 to my wort before pitching the yeast... it is 90% dish washing.. but I got quite good at making fine beer.  My belly at the time showed the extra 7 kg too.  I never sold any of my beer though... American lifestyle and resources sometimes leaves one with lots of spare time to take up hobbies like this but I am afraid the avg Thai would be inclined to sell it.   I kegged my beer in the Cornies like the guy last week. (soda syrup 5 gal kegs)   If a guy could get the magic 4 ingredients,  good malted barley, water, hops, and yeast I am sure it would taste better than all the mega swill in Thailand.  Sanitation is easy.  I mean everything is boiled for 60 mins at least.  But water chemical content and quality have a big impact.  But surely there are some good fresh water springs up north??

Edited by Elkski

33 minutes ago, Elkski said:

All the Two Thai beeropolie  need to doto be scared of lost profit  is see how much the craft brew industry has cost the Big three brewer in the USA... they have lost market share and had to buy up many of these breweries.

Home brew is very easy to make,, my 40 l system is top quality.. I even add O2 to my wort before pitching the yeast... it is 90% dish washing.. but I got quite good at making fine beer.  My belly at the time showed the extra 7 kg too.  I never sold any of my beer though... American lifestyle and resources sometimes leaves one with lots of spare time to take up hobbies like this but I am afraid the avg Thai would be inclined to sell it.   I kegged my beer in the Cornies like the guy last week. (soda syrup 5 gal kegs)   If a guy could get the magic 4 ingredients,  good malted barley, water, hops, and yeast I am sure it would taste better than all the mega swill in Thailand.  Sanitation is easy.  I mean everything is boiled for 60 mins at least.  But water chemical content and quality have a big impact.  But surely there are some good fresh water springs up north??

Now, that sure sounds tasty. Hoho, mega-swill is the fitting expression for that local brew-ish over here ;-) They might have learned how-to over in Germany but must have forgotten most of it. Tragic. 

Ja mein Herr, sure some fine water up north if one avoids 'civilization' as far as possible, a bit hard (limy) in places maybe.

You're stateside at the moment? Utah? Loved it, actually pretty all of the US, was pre-9/11 though.

1130pm over here, i'm about to lay myself out, Cheers!

Amazing that the two major brewers in Thailand can't come up with a range of decent beers to satisfy the tastes of their "captive" customers.

With their economies of scale and duopoly they could cut any microbrewery competition dead - instead they are continuing to produce a mediocre product and rely on protectionism to maintain their market share.