Home electrical

westbounder

Your point of contact would be the PEA. 5A sounds pretty low, not sure if you got the right information.

If you build new you may also consider solar panels, for electricity and hot water, and become independent from outside supply. It will break even within 5...6 years.

Actually, that is called a "5/15" meter meaning 5 amps nominal and 15 amps max - although it is said to go higher but perhaps not measure usage accurately.  The next size upgrade is the "15/45" which is what most homes with A/C, hot water showers, etc. will use.

If you do need to upgrade, definitely start with the local PEA.  They will most likely require a cable upgrade from meter to CU.

58 minutes ago, wayned said:

Maybe Crossy has it stored  and will post it.

He does now, that file is rather out of date but should give a guideline cost.

If the existing meter is a permanent supply you should get a refund on it too.

I had the same situation with an old 5 amp meter. I just went to the PEA office and explained I wanted an upgrade. It took them about a week to come out and inspect the existing meter. Then another week to replace the meter. I recall it cost about B2,000. 

On 02/02/2017 at 8:33 AM, Manassas said:

I had the same situation with an old 5 amp meter. I just went to the PEA office and explained I wanted an upgrade. It took them about a week to come out and inspect the existing meter. Then another week to replace the meter. I recall it cost about B2,000. 

If your supply cables from the meter to the house are big enough then that will be all you need, but if they are too small you may need to replace them and the main board