Retirement Visa

This question has probably been asked and answered already, but just once more please. I'm a Brit and 54 so I qualify for the old timmers retirement visa. I heard that if you own a condo the required ammount to show in the bank is affected, meaning that you don't have to put as much cash in due to already wacking out a load of money that will circulate in the Thai economy. Is this so? Also, is there an advantage to having a retirement visa over having a non immigrant visa? Clear my fuddled brain.

No; there is no special provision for property ownership.

The long stay (retirement) is a non immigrant visa but extended for one year at a time.

The requirement is over age 50, income/pension of 65k baht per month or deposit of 800k baht or combination of the two. 800k baht in Thai bank account now requires that it have been on deposit at or above that amount for 3 months prior to application of extension of stay.

There is a non immigrant O-A visa that you obtain in UK using police report/medical and UK bank account balance that provides a one year permitted to stay stamp on arrival in Thailand that you might want to consider. UK Consulates will have information on that.

Lopburi3, Thanks for making that clear as crystal for me. I do think its a pisser when you can spend a lot of money on a condo with a tourist visa...but you can't live in it more than 90 days at a time. But then, who am I to question the strange laws of the land. Cheers

Lopburi3, Thanks for making that clear as crystal for me. I do think its a pisser when you can spend a lot of money on a condo with a tourist visa...but you can't live in it more than 90 days at a time. But then, who am I to question the strange laws of the land. Cheers

The same applies to the UK.

Buying a flat in Eastbourne does not come with a long term visa......

Mexico has a retirement visa program whereby if you buy a home (condo or house) you're qualification level is one half as much as if you didn't. Perhaps the OP has heard of that one and got confused. More info on retirement visas to other countries can be found at http://www.retireaway.com/forum/index.php

Great idea for Thailand to do the same, huh?

It makes perfect sense. If you have paid for a home, you certainly don't need as much money to live in Thailand. But since when does perfect logic have anything to do with visa rules?

Edited by Thaiquila

No; there is no special provision for property ownership.

The long stay (retirement) is a non immigrant visa but extended for one year at a time.

The requirement is over age 50, income/pension of 65k baht per month or deposit of 800k baht or combination of the two. 800k baht in Thai bank account now requires that it have been on deposit at or above that amount for 3 months prior to application of extension of stay.

There is a non immigrant O-A visa that you obtain in UK using police report/medical and UK bank account balance that provides a one year permitted to stay stamp on arrival in Thailand that you might want to consider. UK Consulates will have information on that.

ok...

Point taken Krub, but at least you can buy a house in Eastbourne if you're Thai.

Agreed, I am not able to be the owner of the piece of land I paid for nor be sure to be able to stay longer than 30 years in the house I paid to build but it is my choice to take the risk and I am still very happy to be able to enjoy the good life in the Thai countryside.

I wish you luck to find a way to enjoy your condo for longer periods.