Buying land in Koh Phangan

Does anyone have experience buying land on Koh Phangan? I live in Chiang Mai and have heard there's lots of mafia there that can make life difficult. I really like the island though and am wondering if it would be a good investment which I can also use as a project to build a nice holiday home. I hear there's an airport so am assuming property prices will go up. Please share your experience. Much appreciated! 

2 hours ago, Taco said:

If your buying with a farang directed company a thai will have to take over as director date of transfer and you can go back in later

Every day something new.

If the company is set up to the advantage of the foreign owner, then only the foreigner has signing rights. It is a legal entity in Thailand, nobody can legally insist that a Thai has to sign the contract.

Plus changing all the documents is going to provide a wad of cash to some lawyer.

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

A post commenting on moderation has now been removed.  

Edited by metisdead

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/6/2017 at 1:00 PM, khunPer said:

The book "How to Buy Land and Build a House in Thailand" (Paiboon ISBN 1-887521-71-2) is about the autor, Philip Bryce's house at Koh Pangan. The book is a very good guideline if you wish to obtain land and build a house, and especially on an island as Phangan.

Thanks, i wrote that book, Philip Bryce is my pen name,

One thing to watch out for in KPN is the cost of labor and building materials is crazy compared to the rest of the country because of the boat. So be careful about your construction budget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve2112 said:

Thanks, i wrote that book, Philip Bryce is my pen name,

One thing to watch out for in KPN is the cost of labor and building materials is crazy compared to the rest of the country because of the boat. So be careful about your construction budget.

Then I will be happy thank you for very good information for a novice "house-builder" doing a self-drawn project in Thailand – on neighboring Samui – your book was a great help, and the dream-house-in-paradise a success...????