Requirements for legal marriage in thailand

Kenny202

You'll need to provide an affirmation that you're free to marry, which you'll need to get from your Embassy, most embassies require evidence that you indeed free to marry, I suspect the Australian Embassy is no different. That affirmation has to be translated into Thai and signed off by the MFA.

l would have thought you could get a duplicate court order confirming your divorce from the appropriate authority in Australia.

Even if you have an official Australian divorce certificate you still need to take that to the Oz embassy & get confirmation to marry. And as stated above, have it translated & certified & signed off by MFA. Ampur will accept this, that you are free to marry.

Normally id agree but In my case a lot of potential benefits. She's a doctor in a govt hospital and has a private clinic. Free medical, 3 paid vacations a year to accompany her on conferrences and visa benefits. She owns her own home and actually has more assets than me. I think she would be crazy to marry me actually :-)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Ignoring the usual facile comments, you can certainly obtain a copy of the document you require from the Family Court Registry in Australia where you lodged the divorce application

I seem to recall that this process can be carried out online so check

The other information regarding translation and certification is correct and if you live outside Bangkok there are agencies who will do it for you not expensive from memory

I have helped a Taiwanese girl to marry a Thai guy in Thailand before. It was not hard at all. It has been a while now so I do not remember details, sorry.

Though, basically, you only need a letter says that you are free to marry from Australian embassy, get it translated to Thai, and get married at an Amphur.

Ask Australian embassy here what sort of documents they need from you (which varied from country to country, and which you will need to get from Australia) for them to issue you a free-to-marry letter.  Make sure it says everything it need to say on that letter, see here http://www.bangkok.go.th/bangrak/page/sub/2998/ฝ่ายทะเบียน

Then, have the letter, which will be in English, translated in to Thai (in my case, a translation office was at the same building as Taiwanese embassy, so it was convenient), make sure they certified that for you too, basically they will send it to be certified at Thai consulate for you for an extra fee (pay it, less hassle to do it yourself). Then, take that along with other stuff (check the same link above) to an Amphur and get married. Be careful in picking up an Amphur though, some are slack, some are not ;)

Good luck and be happy :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am a foreign national. When I got married, actually some time latter, my wife went and registered the marriage and no papers were needed from me. I am ready for a divorce and related that to a lawyer and was  hoping the marriage would qualify for a voidable dissolution. The lawyer just hand waved and said that happens all the time.  Noting that my wife registered the marriage using my  last name, and that was good enough and the court would not care. Take that for what it is worth. I am finding by studying Thai law and asking questions that some codes are not really valued by  courts and others are. It probably depends on the judge, so like everything in Thailand, it is a crapshoot  in all directions.