Opening a bank account on a tourist visa

Many travellers on a tourist visa have to run around town to find a bank willing to open a bank account. My question: If you open a Baht account with a Bangkok Bank branch in a foreign country, could Bangkok Bank in Thailand still refuse to open an account or less likely?

Munotlaw

7 minutes ago, the guest said:

Banks are not allowed to open an account for tourists. 

Yes they are, can and will.  I have just opened two, a saving account with the Bangkok Bank can be opened on a tourist visa.  All I needed was a certified passport copy from my Embassy and the accounts were open at the Bangkok Bank Branch at Central Embassy.  It was painless

Edited by Caps
  • Like 1

My question: If you open a Baht account with a Bangkok Bank branch in a foreign country, could Bangkok Bank in Thailand still refuse to open an account or less likely?
Munotlaw

Yes, they can refuse. Reason is that while all Banks might belong to the same group company, they have to individually adhere to each countries specific rules about KYC (know your customer) and all other local financial regulations.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

10 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Total BS. My first two accounts with Bangkok Bank and SCB were both opened on Visa exempt stamps and hotel addresses.

It's the same reason you cannot open an account in EU, you need to prove you have a permanent address, and are registered in the hosting country. Any bank that opens accounts for tourist is breaking bank policy. Most banks operate in the same way, for obvious reasons.

9 minutes ago, the guest said:

It's the same reason you cannot open an account in EU, you need to prove you have a permanent address, and are registered in the hosting country. Any bank that opens accounts for tourist is breaking bank policy. Most banks operate in the same way, for obvious reasons.

Rubbish again!

Banks in Thailand require, at a minimum, that you to have a long stay visa or a work permit, in large metropolitan areas banks will happily open a bank account on a shorter visa including visa exempt. Banks in Thailand do not care if you have a permanent address in Thailand or not, you could be sleeping on the beach for all they care.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

Ok, I only open this topic to see the different opinions. Of course you can open an account on a tourist visa. Especially most of the Mabooklong branches are more than happy to serve Falangs. (another one SCB Tesco Lotus, Ratchada branch) 

Munotlaw 

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

Total BS. My first two accounts with Bangkok Bank and SCB were both opened on Visa exempt stamps and hotel addresses.

Did you have one of these for Bangkok Bank:

• "ONE of the following documents:
  • A letter of reference from one of the following:
    • Embassy or international organization
    • An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
    • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
    • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
    • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
    • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit
  • Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a condominium"

(from ubonjoe's Bangkok Bank link above)

Guest Jerry787

good to know

what the best "friendly' branch for experience to open a THB currency, saving account with an ATM card in Bangkok ?

any special document needed such a third bank reference or other ? 

thanks 

Edited by Jerry787

14 hours ago, the guest said:

nonsense

12 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Did you have one of these for Bangkok Bank:

• "ONE of the following documents:
  • A letter of reference from one of the following:
    • Embassy or international organization
    • An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
    • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
    • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
    • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
    • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit
  • Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a condominium"

(from ubonjoe's Bangkok Bank link above)

A letter of reference from one of the following:

• Embassy or international organization = no
  • An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds = no
  • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network =no
  • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive =no
  • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank = no
  • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit =no
  • Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a condominium" = no
  • Like 1

Ok read the link for Bangkok Bank and it looks like should be ok to open savings account with passbook. To open a current account it states "Current accounts are only available for foreigners who are permanent residents, or who have a work permit". Savings account will be useful though.

10 hours ago, gaztop08 said:

Ok read the link for Bangkok Bank and it looks like should be ok to open savings account with passbook. To open a current account it states "Current accounts are only available for foreigners who are permanent residents, or who have a work permit". Savings account will be useful though.

What would you need a current (a.k.a., checking) account for?   Maybe if you run a business and do a lot of business payments.  

Otherwise, a regular savings account should meet the needs of most every common man since  you get an ATM/debit card, can have ibanking,  do as many monthly transactions/bill payments as you want to,  etc.     And when I say "regular savings account" I don't mean a fixed deposit savings account where you money gets tied up for X-amount of time.

If you are from the U.S. you may be use to savings accounts being somewhat restrictive in how many transactions you could do per month...like around 6 transactions because in the U.S. a savings account was meant for "saving money and not doing too many monthly transactions."   Instead, you got a checking (a.k.a., current) account to pay as many bills,  write checks, transfers, etc., that you wanted to per month.  Many people just had both a checking and savings account.

However, in Thailand a regular savings account is basically like a checking account in the U.S. except without checks.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, trigpoint said:

I tried to open a bank account for my g/f at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri refused as she is on a tourist visa. I will try Kasikorn bank more helpful and friendly i hear.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

There is a Thai woman working at one of my local banks in the US.

She said the same thing about Kasikorn - that many of her clients have found them the best for opening accounts in Thailand.

Edited by JimmyJ

15 hours ago, Pib said:

What would you need a current (a.k.a., checking) account for?   Maybe if you run a business and do a lot of business payments.  

Otherwise, a regular savings account should meet the needs of most every common man since  you get an ATM/debit card, can have ibanking,  do as many monthly transactions/bill payments as you want to,  etc.     And when I say "regular savings account" I don't mean a fixed deposit savings account where you money gets tied up for X-amount of time.

If you are from the U.S. you may be use to savings accounts being somewhat restrictive in how many transactions you could do per month...like around 6 transactions because in the U.S. a savings account was meant for "saving money and not doing too many monthly transactions."   Instead, you got a checking (a.k.a., current) account to pay as many bills,  write checks, transfers, etc., that you wanted to per month.  Many people just had both a checking and savings account.

However, in Thailand a regular savings account is basically like a checking account in the U.S. except without checks.  

Well I don't really want a current account.Just an account to keep about 60,000 baht in as back up and not really touch that money for holidays.So the savings account should be ok for me.