Social security refund when leaving Thailand.

After living and working in Thailand for many years, the time has come to return home, so i would like to get the money i have paid into the Thai social security fund (ประกันสังคม) refunded. Does anybody know what is involved? 

You cannot claim a 'refund'.

However, if you have worked and contributed to the Social Security fund for 180 months or more, you can claim a pension after you are 55 years old.

If less than 180 months you may be able to claim a lump sum 'pension' once you reach 55 years old. I believe one criterion for eligibility for this is that you are still living in Thailand. This is not a refund, but a percentage of your total contributions.

To obtain either, you need to go to your Social Security office and take your ID and employment details, together with your Social Security card or number and fill out a form there. Your details will be checked and any pension due will be calculated and paid to you if everything is in order.

For more details see this website: http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/retrie.html

I don't know how old you are but at least 3 of my former co-workers who had reached legal age of retirement but who had not worked enough years to collect the Thai social security  were  given the money back a few months after quitting. The money was put in the bank used for automatic deposit of their pay. I was given access to their accounts to  forward the money after they left.I don't know who iniated the process. This was done in 2012, 2014, 2015.

• 9 months later...

Resurrecting this topic:

Here's a question the HRO lady in my office here in Thailand doesn't seem to be sure about.

The doc I have from when I started here (Thai org where they deduct 750b/month from my paycheck toward SS) says that

(a) if I retire before serving 180 months then I can get a lump sum payment of the total I contributed to SS plus the employer's part.

(b) if I retire after serving 180 month then I am entitled to a monthly pension of 20% of my average monthly salary over the past 60 months (at a cap of 3000b/month - doc really doesn't say anything about a cap but it's there I'm told).

Question: If I end up serving more than 180 months can I opt for a lump sum and go, or do I have to accept pension monthly?

It would seem I should have an option but our HRO person thinks that I can only take the monthly.

Anybody know for sure? Thanks.

Archived