2016 iMac 5K RAM

Grumpy Old Man

After eight years of hard work my MacBook Pro is struggling a bit with it's workload so I've bitten the bullet and ordered an iMac i7 5K 27" but I refuse to pay the extortionate price asked for the full 32Gig of RAM through Apple online / Apple Store.

Does anyone have experience and recommended / reliable websites for purchasing computer RAM and accessories online in Thailand.

1867MHz DDR3  4x8GB for new iMac 5K 27"

I've done a basic Google search but I can't find what I feel is a reliable source for computer bits Etc. 

Thank you for your help in advance   

19 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Why is it struggling? Maybe just needs a reformat and a good clean up, could save you a fortune 

I've had my MacBook Pro for eight years now but it's a ten year old unit with a 17' screen; I edit 4K video and photos as a freelance location scout with old eyes and bad glasses, the 27" 5K screen will be much better to work on.

I do thank you for your suggestion.

The unit will get a full reset / format / clean up and passed on at a nominal cost.

15 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I've had my MacBook Pro for eight years now but it's a ten year old unit with a 17' screen; I edit 4K video and photos as a freelance location scout with old eyes and bad glasses, the 27" 5K screen will be much better to work on.

I do thank you for your suggestion.

The unit will get a full reset / format / clean up and passed on at a nominal cost.

Take a look at this site http://www.memorytoday.com.☺️  and specs about the memory from Apple https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201191

May I suggest a visit to Magic, first floor up Pantip Plaza, CM.

Up the escalator turn right and last shop down the end.

Very good people and they will give you Macbook a full service.

They converted my 13" macbook to SSD.

Like a new machine.

Excellent folk to deal with.

john 

6 hours ago, jonwilly said:

May I suggest a visit to Magic, first floor up Pantip Plaza, CM.

Up the escalator turn right and last shop down the end.

Very good people and they will give you Macbook a full service.

They converted my 13" macbook to SSD.

Like a new machine.

Excellent folk to deal with.

john 

Hello John. . . . . . 

I was there today and nobody stocks the 1867MHZ DDR3 RAM for the new iMac. The whole place is undergoing a refurbishment but I did find a guy who deals with Apple products "CMNS" Floor 3 who is trying to get me the 32GB of RAM I'm looking for. 

Did you find the folks at Magic ?

They are very good, friendly and most helpful.

After doing my Macbook Pro which is now like a New machine I asked them to convert my 27" iMac to SSD.

I had first been recommended to use them by a friend who is the only other Mac user I know, he has forgotten more then I will ever know on computers.

I took my old 24" iMac down to them by strapping it to the back of my large rucksack and they sorted out the problems on it.

It was in a bad state as I had given it away to the lad who lives in next condo, he is doing a computer course at CM Uni, but only used it to play games on.

Magic sorted my problems and loaded an older OS operating system which was compatible with the new printer/scanner I had just bought.

They told me not to take my 27" iMac down on my back as the screen was delicate and they came to my place and collected after they closed for the night.

They delivered the following day and once again like a new machine.

If I have time I will drop in and see them tomorrow, Tuesday, as they are a couple worth supporting.

john

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

Did you find the folks at Magic ?

They are very good, friendly and most helpful.

After doing my Macbook Pro which is now like a New machine I asked them to convert my 27" iMac to SSD.

I had first been recommended to use them by a friend who is the only other Mac user I know, he has forgotten more then I will ever know on computers.

I took my old 24" iMac down to them by strapping it to the back of my large rucksack and they sorted out the problems on it.

It was in a bad state as I had given it away to the lad who lives in next condo, he is doing a computer course at CM Uni, but only used it to play games on.

Magic sorted my problems and loaded an older OS operating system which was compatible with the new printer/scanner I had just bought.

They told me not to take my 27" iMac down on my back as the screen was delicate and they came to my place and collected after they closed for the night.

They delivered the following day and once again like a new machine.

If I have time I will drop in and see them tomorrow, Tuesday, as they are a couple worth supporting.

john

Hello John

If you do manage to visit the folks at "Magic" can you please get their full and current contact details as local recommended and reliable company to deal with Apple / Mac's is hard to find.

Many thanks 

I went to Magic this morning. They have moved location to 3rd floor in Pantip Plaza directly above their 2nd floor location.

They where their usual helpful selves and the Boss says you will have to visit to tell him exactly what you require.

They where sorting out a problem for a walk in customer who had never 'Cleaned' either physically or electronically her MacBook Pro.

On opening the back and removing the fan I watched as he remove a 1cm dia lump of dust. the insides where filthy.

john

Keep in mind that all RAM is not necessarily equal - if you go low bid at Panthip, you could end up with sub-standard RAM and have even more problems.

I have always order RAM from Crucial in the USA. Prices are good and the small amount added on for shipping still makes it cheaper than buying it from an Apple type shop here.

15 minutes ago, bubba said:

Keep in mind that all RAM is not necessarily equal - if you go low bid at Panthip, you could end up with sub-standard RAM and have even more problems.

I have always order RAM from Crucial in the USA. Prices are good and the small amount added on for shipping still makes it cheaper than buying it from an Apple type shop here.

I was just looking at Crucial USA as I've used Crucial UK many times when I lived in the UK; I think that might be the way to go !

5 hours ago, Nicolas32 said:

I think with the amount you are adding honestly you will not notice the difference  when it comes to speed of ram also really i could understand the higher speed of ram with say your MacBook Pro .. truthfully  

I've had an excellent recommendation for a company that does MacBook / iMac refurbishments in Chiangmai I'm thinking of getting them to take a look at my old MacBook Pro and see what can be done to upgrade it and then my wife will be more comfortable using it. 

3 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I've had an excellent recommendation for a company that does MacBook / iMac refurbishments in Chiangmai I'm thinking of getting them to take a look at my old MacBook Pro and see what can be done to upgrade it and then my wife will be more comfortable using it. 

That's nice for you as for me i don't justify the prices these days and am on the  Hackintosh laptop route plus these days .. Am sick and tired of the how Microsoft is run and how buggy the OS really is  .. compared to Apple its like Microsoft have now copied the same sort of thing but are 10 years too late .. 

I was in Magic yesterday and showed them the Part No for the memory you are after. They said they would see if it is available.

Go see them they are decent folk and a one to one talk would inform you on so much.

I sent a PM to you for their phone No but they have not heard from you.

john

49 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

I was in Magic yesterday and showed them the Part No for the memory you are after. They said they would see if it is available.

Go see them they are decent folk and a one to one talk would inform you on so much.

I sent a PM to you for their phone No but they have not heard from you.

john

Hello John

My wife called them to get their E-mail address so I could send an enquiry for the RAM I'm looking for and about bringing in my old MacBook Pro for upgrading Etc. but either she didn't get the correct E-mail address or I copied it down incorrectly as it failed to send; she'll contact them again today and hopefully I can get sorted out. 

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

I put Magic CM into Google and got

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Com-Service-Pantip-Plaza-Chiangmai/402235559887958

their face book page , may be of help to you.

john

Excellent . . . Thank you !

Enquiry E-mail sent about RAM required and I'll drop in to see them with my old MacBook Pro ASAP

Many thanks for your help

David

Archived