Scottish Parliament to oppose Brexit bill

webfact

Scottish Parliament to oppose Brexit bill

The Scottish Parliament is expected to formally oppose the UK government starting the Brexit process when MSPs vote on the issue later.

The Supreme Court ruled last month that there was no legal need for Holyrood to give its consent to the triggering of Article 50.

But First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she would let MSPs have a say in what will be a largely symbolic vote.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38880999

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-02-07

5 minutes ago, Saraphee said:

When I was a child I used to play at childish things, I suppose playing at parliaments is one thing I never had a chance to do.

Some kids never grow up - they go to Westminster Kindergarten ;)

2 hours ago, Saraphee said:

When I was a child I used to play at childish things, I suppose playing at parliaments is one thing I never had a chance to do.

Technically you'd need to have reached the age of consent to play at many of things that real MPs get up to as well as have developed a suppressed gag reflex. At least the Scots can distinguish between symbolic acts and the pontifical bombast generated elsewhere.

But Sturgeon previously said that she could veto Brexit. She said Mrs. May told her that and announced it after their first meeting.

Of course, as with all politicians who lie, they never admit to that lie, or state it was false. And what's worse, our much vaunted media allows it all to be swept under the carpet.

Quite frankly, the rest of the UK, 92/3 % of the population couldn't give a fig what the Scottish Parliament votes on; and neither can a lot of Scots anymore.

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

But Sturgeon previously said that she could veto Brexit. She said Mrs. May told her that and announced it after their first meeting.

Of course, as with all politicians who lie, they never admit to that lie, or state it was false. And what's worse, our much vaunted media allows it all to be swept under the carpet.

Quite frankly, the rest of the UK, 92/3 % of the population couldn't give a fig what the Scottish Parliament votes on; and neither can a lot of Scots anymore.

You think there are politicians who *don't* lie??  I have a couple of gem mines in Cambodia you might be interested in. ;)

I believe Ms Sturgeon has now very effectively shot herself in the foot and lost considerable credibility.  It would appear the woman has not considered how her SNPs feel, wasting their time casting a vote that if nothing else will be laughed at by the other Parliamentarians, also what an adverse affect this will achieve through her poor judgement.  As others have intimated, she sounds like a little girl who is throwing an "issy fit" because she can.  I would not be surprised if on the next election, SNP find they have considerable less support than they did at the last election.

5 hours ago, jpinx said:

At least they admitted the vote would be only symbolic....   but symbolic of what?  Their increasing desperation to tripwire Brexit to their advantage?

I don't think anyone in Scotland wants to deny England the right to secure that for which they voted, but of course you are right that this is symbolic - if they did nothing, then they would be accused of being disinterested.

32 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Here's something else to ponder - an article that focuses so much on England that there is only one mention in the whole text about either Wales or Scotland.

It was focussed on the N/S division of England......

38 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

But the division is red and blue - OK, I misunderstood and still fail to see the relevance.

oh dear!  The colours are not the significance either.  Scotland has long had affinities with the "North-of-England" - Cumberland, Northumberland, even manchester produced a "pro-Scotland" response in some survey done around the referendum times.  Hadrian's Wall is not the border the SNP need to go for -- make it the Fosse Way.!

7 minutes ago, jpinx said:

oh dear!  The colours are not the significance either.  Scotland has long had affinities with the "North-of-England" - Cumberland, Northumberland, even manchester produced a "pro-Scotland" response in some survey done around the referendum times.  Hadrian's Wall is not the border the SNP need to go for -- make it the Fosse Way.!

That's a very bright idea!

Devon/Cornwall should of course be included! Bless them ?

12 hours ago, jpinx said:

Hadrian's Wall has never been the border between England and Scotland. There was no England or English when Roman Emperor Hadrian had it built. Parts of it are up to 60 miles inside England. Scotland might well have an affinity with Northumbria because that part of it from the Tweed to the Firth Of Forth, including Edinburgh was part of the Anglian kingdom of Northumbria. They are descended from the same people, the Anglo-Saxons.

1 hour ago, BirdsandBooze said:

Hadrian's Wall has never been the border between England and Scotland. There was no England or English when Roman Emperor Hadrian had it built. Parts of it are up to 60 miles inside England. Scotland might well have an affinity with Northumbria because that part of it from the Tweed to the Firth Of Forth, including Edinburgh was part of the Anglian kingdom of Northumbria. They are descended from the same people, the Anglo-Saxons.

Oh dear -- another pedant! :)  "Hadrian's Wall" is an oft-used moniker to indicate the border.  The actual wall was built on the orders of the Romans to keep the Scots out.