Immigration Korat dress code

57 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er, yeah, if it's hot, why not?

The UK is not SE Asia. If i want to nip into the PO or the local council offices wearing flip flops and shorts on a hot day, i doubt anyone would bat an eyelid.

You are unlikely to get ejected but you will certainly collect some weird looks and / or comments. But as I say in my earlier post the lack of personal responsibility has assisted a large number of the illiterati to sink and sink taking their values ( as much as they are) to be those that others must accept.

but hey if you want to sit there for hours, get sent back to sign this or fetch that or produce the other because you feel that you don't need to show respect, go ahead. It just speeds up my turn. 

Edited by The Dark Lord
Loss of belief in human self dignity

4 hours ago, John F Gill said:

I'm not sure that this is true I was just there in shorts, a plain collared shirt, and sandals a few days ago to do my 90 day report and I never have ever had any problems there.  I'm always in and out in 5 to 10 minutes, probably because I get there a little early, and no one has ever given me any crap over my shorts and sandals never one time.  I've also have never seen these signs at Korat Immigration unless they just put them up in the last 2 days, unless they like just put them up I've never seen them, and like I said I was just there the other day and I did my 90 day report with no problems I never have had any problems there.  I actually think they're pretty nice there as long as all your paperwork is legal and you have it all in order you shouldn't have anything to worry about because all they care about is your documents.  They have never given me any problems.  

Now when I go there I don't wear flip flops as in shower shoes, I wear real sandals nice ones not shower shoes so maybe that's why they don't give me a hard time.  I also wear decent looking shorts with a belt as well, and a conservative looking collared shirt.  Not a t-shirt.  So I dress very casually when I go there and very comfortably with shorts on and wearing sandals and I have never had anyone there at Korat Immigration give me a hard time about it and I was just there a few days ago.  

When I first started doing my 90 day report there I actually would dress up nice actually with the tie on and everything but I noticed everyone else wearing flip flops I mean like shower shoes, pull on shorts like I wear to bed, and regular T-Shirts.  

So now I don't bother putting on a suit anymore when I go down there to report because I never see anyone else there dressed up I was always over dressed.  I do wear a good pair of sandals (NOT FLIP FLOPS SHOWER SHOES), a decent pair of leather shorts with a belt, and a nice conservative collared shirt, so I dress mildly causal I don't go in there looking like I just got out of the swimming pool.  Maybe they are cracking down on the people who dress overly causal because I see people dressed like that there all the time.  

In fact I saw people wearing shower shoes when I was there just a few days ago and none of the Immigration officials were concerned about it, they were just going on about there business.  So unless something has changed in the past 2 days I've never seen this.  

When I first started doing my 90 day report there almost 2 years ago now I would always go in a business suit because I wanted to make a good impression.  I definitely want to maintain good relations with immigration.  I eventually started dressing somewhat causally wearing leather shorts with a belt and sandals so I don't over do the causal.  I started dressing causally because I see everyone else down there dresses causally.  I've seen some people there including the other day when I was down there wearing tank tops, basketball shorts, and flip flops and the immigration officers didn't seem to care.  So I I've never noticed this it's never been an issue whenever I go down there every 3 months.  

Are you sure this was in Korat?  Honestly I was just there the other day and I I didn't notice anything like this.  Maybe it's just because I don't dress overly causal. I dress causal but conservative so I don't know maybe that's why they leave me alone because I don't over do it. You should always dress at least somewhat conservatively when you're in a foreign country just to prevent drawing attention to yourself.  Me personally I dress plainly and never wear any t-shirts that advertise anything or with any logals just collard shirts and these days shorts and sandals.  In fact I dress like that in the states and pretty much anywhere just to prevent from sticking out.  

You really cracked me up with this...... Time of my post 23 hours ago

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I also go to the Korat immigration office for my 90 Day Report and dress pretty much as you do and have never been hassled. I suspect that perhaps we did not see the sign because we came in the back door from the parking lot and not the front door.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The photos were taken of the back door. The front door bore the same, but is more open to view from inside.

• Like 1

You really cracked me up with this...... Time of my post 23 hours ago

Is this a wind up like is this a wind up. I mean, I'm not wearing my flip flops as in shower shoes because like I haven't got any. No, my sandals are made by Merrett not as in shower shoes

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, fobuff said:

hmmmmm  Civil Servants are there to serve the public (the customer) no matter what they look like, how they dress...

Except of course in Thailand it is the other way around.. you have to fear the civil servant as he (she) has a good job and in authority to screw you as they wish....  and you have to obey all there stupid rules....

and if not bye bye attitude readjustment for you

Ah the entitlement mentality ...  alive and well.

The "quality tourist" thing seems a bit silly when we hear officials mention it in their pronouncements, but can you really blame them when confronted with arrogance like this?  From some foreigners who want something yet??   Now I suppose we're going to be treated to a nice little homily on "rights".   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oceanbat said:

To dress respectfully would mean I respect them. I don't so I wear what I need to to get the visa.

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

As has been said before, help yourself but dont come back on TVF whining and moaning about how you were f****d over by some blah blah blah.....

whats the point?

You cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Dress smartly, with a nice shirt and a silk tie. But in no way act subserviently towards the officers. It is you who are paying for a service, which should be carried out promptly and efficiently. DO NOT bow and scrape, and under no circumstances leave a tip.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John F Gill said:

I'm not sure that this is true I was just there in shorts, a plain collared shirt, and sandals a few days ago to do my 90 day report and I never have ever had any problems there.  I'm always in and out in 5 to 10 minutes, probably because I get there a little early, and no one has ever given me any crap over my shorts and sandals never one time.  I've also have never seen these signs at Korat Immigration unless they just put them up in the last 2 days, unless they like just put them up I've never seen them, and like I said I was just there the other day and I did my 90 day report with no problems I never have had any problems there.  I actually think they're pretty nice there as long as all your paperwork is legal and you have it all in order you shouldn't have anything to worry about because all they care about is your documents.  They have never given me any problems.  

Now when I go there I don't wear flip flops as in shower shoes, I wear real sandals nice ones not shower shoes so maybe that's why they don't give me a hard time.  I also wear decent looking shorts with a belt as well, and a conservative looking collared shirt.  Not a t-shirt.  So I dress very casually when I go there and very comfortably with shorts on and wearing sandals and I have never had anyone there at Korat Immigration give me a hard time about it and I was just there a few days ago.  

When I first started doing my 90 day report there I actually would dress up nice actually with the tie on and everything but I noticed everyone else wearing flip flops I mean like shower shoes, pull on shorts like I wear to bed, and regular T-Shirts.  

So now I don't bother putting on a suit anymore when I go down there to report because I never see anyone else there dressed up I was always over dressed.  I do wear a good pair of sandals (NOT FLIP FLOPS SHOWER SHOES), a decent pair of leather shorts with a belt, and a nice conservative collared shirt, so I dress mildly causal I don't go in there looking like I just got out of the swimming pool.  Maybe they are cracking down on the people who dress overly causal because I see people dressed like that there all the time.  

In fact I saw people wearing shower shoes when I was there just a few days ago and none of the Immigration officials were concerned about it, they were just going on about there business.  So unless something has changed in the past 2 days I've never seen this.  

When I first started doing my 90 day report there almost 2 years ago now I would always go in a business suit because I wanted to make a good impression.  I definitely want to maintain good relations with immigration.  I eventually started dressing somewhat causally wearing leather shorts with a belt and sandals so I don't over do the causal.  I started dressing causally because I see everyone else down there dresses causally.  I've seen some people there including the other day when I was down there wearing tank tops, basketball shorts, and flip flops and the immigration officers didn't seem to care.  So I I've never noticed this it's never been an issue whenever I go down there every 3 months.  

Are you sure this was in Korat?  Honestly I was just there the other day and I I didn't notice anything like this.  Maybe it's just because I don't dress overly causal. I dress causal but conservative so I don't know maybe that's why they leave me alone because I don't over do it. You should always dress at least somewhat conservatively when you're in a foreign country just to prevent drawing attention to yourself.  Me personally I dress plainly and never wear any t-shirts that advertise anything or with any logals just collard shirts and these days shorts and sandals.  In fact I dress like that in the states and pretty much anywhere just to prevent from sticking out.  

YES IT WAS KORAT,maybe your one of them that cant read and enter through the back door STAFF ONLY ENTRANCE.

i was there on the 30th.january and yes it was on the FRONT DOORS.

• Like 1

As the song by the Kinks goes, 'Dedicated Follower of Fashion'. I reckon you could start your own fashion guidance column!
Gok Wann has done very well out of it!
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

13 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

The irony here is that in Phuket many of the Immi officers wear official golf shirts with tracksuit pants and thongs (flip flops) (underneath the desks).

So that blows the respect theory to smithereens.

They have taken down their dress code signs.

I respectfully disagree. While my experiences in Bangkok Division 1 were driven by the fact that every single employee is dressed in full uniform, I believe one should act as though every officer will be dressed that way. I strongly believe in extending that courtesy to any immigration official in advance, whether the officers outfit themselves in full uniform, or not. It is the position for which I am showing respect.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:38 AM, Jackie66 said:

They have something similar at Bangkok immigration but looking at some people there 2 weeks ago it doesn't seem to be enforced. Saw two young foreign women dressed like they were on their way to a nude beach and tons of backpackers with their huge backpacks and obligatory flip flops, shorts and sleeveless shirts. 

Right. In 1976 I got send home by the Immigration Officer at Suan Plu, handling my extension of a visa, for wearing a sleeveless shirt.

And I was dressed nicely, wearing clean jeans (501) shoes and the shirt was an expensive one but got send home anyway to change my sleeveless shirt.

40 years ago so nothing new.

A lot of these regulations and laws are old hat but never enforced.

I wear long pants and shirt with a collar when visiting immigration in Jomtien, but I see many expats there who are dressed for the beach. It appears to have no effect on getting business done. The only possible objectionable part of my attire might be the wearing of Crocs. I like shoes that don't chafe my feet.

15 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

Sadly my friend, standards both personal and public in the west are on a very steep downward slope. When I was a kid you would not dream of answering back an adult let alone swear at them. You would never see females staggering around the streets with no dignity showing all they have on offer to anyone who looks, being sick through drink screaming like menatally challenged inmates and using language that would make a sailor blush.

Today that is the norm

so from this selection of our best offerings some manage by some miracle to save up a few pounds and fly to Thailand that they think is a paradise for them. But do not dispair, they also go to Magalouf, the Iberian isles Tenerife and Spain and make complete idiots of themselves there too. 

I am not an apologist for them nor do I in anyway condone such abhorrent behaviour. I find it utterly sickening also. 

My simple but probably totally wrong wrong opinion on why this type of creature has been allowed to develop is because they have been brought up ( sorry could not think of a better adjective) believing that they do not have to take responsibility for their actions and that the nanny state in which they were created will take care of them anyway 

the one good thing though is that Donald Trump has thus far escaped the blame for these idiots but hey someone will try to fabricate a link.... 

rubbish, you clearly don't know anything about history. And what has Trump got to do with it? You are the only one trying to make that connection.

And poor you, having to put up with the plebs, life must be such a challenge 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oceanbat said:

You need to improve your reading comprehension.

OB

No I don't think so. You make it clear that you have zero respect for the immigration so you will wear what you like ( ok so far?) so I said it's up to you but don't come whingeing and whining when you get f***d over by them..

( still with me ?)

comprehension skills fully functional but thanks for the disgnostics. 

30 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

rubbish, you clearly don't know anything about history. And what has Trump got to do with it? You are the only one trying to make that connection.

And poor you, having to put up with the plebs, life must be such a challenge 

No I did not get a degree in history but I do have 20/20 vision.

I was stating in an attempt to inject some humour ( look it up if you don't know what that is) that it was a good job... oh <deleted> it you are not worth the effort. Just re read it and try to understand before climbing on your high horse.

Plebs? No I am not surrounded by plebs, I chose to leave those scum behind, it's called choices in life. 

.....and to think I was accused of poor comprehension.. 

No I don't think so. You make it clear that you have zero respect for the immigration so you will wear what you like ( ok so far?) so I said it's up to you but don't come whingeing and whining when you get f***d over by them..

( still with me ?)

comprehension skills fully functional but thanks for the disgnostics. 

You almost got there. Try again old fellow.

There shall be no whining from me.

OB

• Like 1

I wear black tailored shorts all the time I visit government offices, usually with a smart white short-sleeved cotton shirt, they call them Pilot shirts in the UK I think, and black strappy leather sandals with the three velcro fastened straps. The sandals are because I have oedema in my feet - they can be adjusted to whatever size my feet decide to be. My dress code is subdued and respectful and the equal to HM Services tropical kit and as it suited ambassadors etc it can suit Government officers, which in fact it does.

TBH the only difference is when I go shopping it's a tee shirt instead of the short sleeved formal shirt. I cannot get shoes that fit, apart from oversize Wellington boots and I doubt they'd accept those, and I don't own long pants any more either!