Bangkok lifestyle -- Baby, and no car

USNret

3 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

Never saw this post. I disagree Ken. Bangkok traffic is much better today than it was 15, 20, 25 years ago. It was standard that AC bus 15 (now 514) took 35-45 minutes to get from Huaykwang to past Yaohan (Fortune Town) in the morning rush hour. There were no flyovers and no express ways and rain water took much longer to drain away back then.

The traffic is much faster nowadays, not to mention how much safer it is 

Very good comment about stress, absolutely necessary to be able to control. Understand that the family suffers otherwise 

There are some cheap good cars out there, buy second hand and depreciation is close to zero. Toyota Avanza is an example of a cheap good family/city car. Lots of room for the kids bicycle and all the rest. Car seat always available. Petrol is cheap

It's so easy to drive in Bangkok nowadays. Why not?

Thanks for the update on the traffic - I actually have not been there for a couple of years and it was worse than ever then. One hour traffic jams were everywhere. I will check with my driving friends there and see what they have to say... I have actually been avoiding it because of the traffic.

Never saw this post. I disagree Ken. Bangkok traffic is much better today than it was 15, 20, 25 years ago. It was standard that AC bus 15 (now 514) took 35-45 minutes to get from Huaykwang to past Yaohan (Fortune Town) in the morning rush hour. There were no flyovers and no express ways and rain water took much longer to drain away back then.

The traffic is much faster nowadays, not to mention how much safer it is 

Very good comment about stress, absolutely necessary to be able to control. Understand that the family suffers otherwise 

There are some cheap good cars out there, buy second hand and depreciation is close to zero. Toyota Avanza is an example of a cheap good family/city car. Lots of room for the kids bicycle and all the rest. Car seat always available. Petrol is cheap

It's so easy to drive in Bangkok nowadays. Why not?

I agree. The traffic is no worse than any other large city. The only thing I hate is the extra long traffic light phasing at peak times, which can be frustrating on red!