Is it worth getting a new car coated?

I will be picking up a new car soon and the dealership wants to know if I want the car 'coated' for an extra 15k baht.

I dont really know much about this but apparently it protects the colour and they will re-coat it or something every 2 months for 2 years (included in the price).

Is it worth doing? I should point out that the car is white btw.

First you need to ask what product he intends to use, and is it the same product that he will re-apply every two months. Can you put anything on top of his product between applications?

Whites are very variable with how good they look, Honda white does look impressive when polished correctly.

It really depends on what you want … you want it better than showroom or just be able to remove motor bikers shoe marks from the side easily along with bird poo/tree sap whatever.

Just accept very little, here in Thailand, lasts more than a few weeks before it needs re-applying.  My cars are glass coated … I did them … and the water will still sheet off but it didn’t take long for that ‘silk like’ feel to disappear from the surface.

I’ve tried on top of the glass coat, Si-700, Autoglym HD wax and Polymer CP501F. They are all ‘much of a muchness’ but in different ways and all very quick to apply and wipe off.  The polymer, to an extent, is a bit of a filler for imperfections.  YMMV

So the guy is charging you 1250thb for a wash and polish every two months. I can assure you that ‘the product’ will be a very small part of the 1250thb.

The quality of the finish is very much in the preparation!

On 2/8/2017 at 5:20 PM, davejonesbkk said:

Thanks, I had to give a fast response today so went ahead with it anyway, and its glass coating btw so thats good then? The 2 month thing they just check it apparently.

Depends what your dealer defines as glass coating.

Many Ford and Toyota dealers will use 3M "glass coating". This has a strength of around 4H on the strength scale and is absolute rubbish.

3M tried to sell their service to my coating shop and my product from Japan overshadowed them in every single aspect.

Sometimes Toyota will use a spray-on product from Threebond. This is not glass-coating at all. It gives you the illusion of glass coating as it has a waterbeading effect, but it does not protect your car against anything.

Other dealers (ETON, etc) will use Ceramic Pro chemicals which are absolute top-of-the-line but are also more expensive than what your dealer is charging.

They offer 9H+ strength and a 2, 3 or 5 year warranty.

Another decent product is Gyeon (Korean) brand. Not many use this in Thailand, but in some ways it's superior to Ceramic Pro.

Especially with the waterbeading effect. I did my new Honda Civic with Gyeon MoHS and after 2 months it's still beading perfectly and still feels smooth.

Other dealers might have another generic brand or buy their own products from either Japan or Malaysia. 

So in case you still have time, please ask the dealer for:

1. What's the xH strenght of the coating he is putting on your car?

2. How many micron does he guarantee and can he show you the before and after (my shop does this to show the customer that we coated his car)?

3. How long is his warranty?

4. A complete list of steps on his preparation: wash, clay (if necessary), compound (probably not necessary on a new car, but some cars come from the truck in bad shape), polish, final polish, coating and dry.

Only then, you should feel confident to allow him to touch your car. Otherwise I can recommend a few good detailers in Bangkok who will coat your car with 9H+ product for less than 15,000 baht.

Jonathan

19 hours ago, JoeW said:

Many Ford and Toyota dealers will use 3M "glass coating". This has a strength of around 4H on the strength scale and is absolute rubbish.

3M tried to sell their service to my coating shop and my product from Japan overshadowed them in every single aspect.

Sometimes Toyota will use a spray-on product from Threebond. This is not glass-coating at all. It gives you the illusion of glass coating as it has a waterbeading effect, but it does not protect your car against anything.

Other dealers (ETON, etc) will use Ceramic Pro chemicals which are absolute top-of-the-line but are also more expensive than what your dealer is charging.

Another decent product is Gyeon (Korean) brand. Not many use this in Thailand, but in some ways it's superior to Ceramic Pro.

Especially with the waterbeading effect. I did my new Honda Civic with Gyeon MoHS and after 2 months it's still beading perfectly and still feels smooth.

Other dealers might have another generic brand or buy their own products from either Japan or Malaysia. 

2. How many micron does he guarantee and can he show you the before and after (my shop does this to show the customer that we coated his car)?

4. A complete list of steps on his preparation: wash, clay (if necessary), compound (probably not necessary on a new car, but some cars come from the truck in bad shape), polish, final polish, coating and dry.

Only then, you should feel confident to allow him to touch your car. Otherwise I can recommend a few good detailers in Bangkok who will coat your car with 9H+ product for less than 15,000 baht.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Is your shop here in Thailand and if so where?

Same when I bought my last few cars, the dealer pushing paint and upholstery protection, even AFTER I pointed out that the manufacturer recommended not using after market protections.  It was in the manual.

Just value adding as I see it.....for the dealer!

I owned a midnight blue BMW for more than 10 years when I lived in LA. I never trusted any detail shop, they charged too much for what they actually did not do. 

I waxed my car twice a year (before summer & winter) by "Zymol" car wax. It shined like real new paint after every time wax. It contained avocado oil. 

Mom not sure if you can find it here in Thailand. But you can do it by yourself if feel to do that. I never trust those stuff they sell for price of fortune and they won't last long.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRq9CxdQfrMRSRwnAYtYoi

It's worth doing, but not for this price.

I was against the idea of paying stupid coating and I finally understood that it was useful.

You don't need any package and recoating. This is BS marketing.

Pay less than 10000 to have your car coated only 1 time is what is enough but what nobody anywhere will explain you.

The coating lotion that they use costs less than 5000 so they already get 5000+ profit when coating your car, it's more than enough and only retarded pay 20000+

Trust me, do it, but only 1 time and at a correct price.

21 hours ago, JoeW said:

Jonathan

Complete reply but too complete for Thailand. Not even sure that any of the shops doing coating know what you are talking about :-)

Anyway, the OP just needs to know that coating is useful to protect his paint and that he needs to do it only 1 time every few years. No addon necessary every 2 months.

1 hour ago, abab said:

It's worth doing, but not for this price.

I was against the idea of paying stupid coating and I finally understood that it was useful.

You don't need any package and recoating. This is BS marketing.

Pay less than 10000 to have your car coated only 1 time is what is enough but what nobody anywhere will explain you.

The coating lotion that they use costs less than 5000 so they already get 5000+ profit when coating your car, it's more than enough and only retarded pay 20000+

Trust me, do it, but only 1 time and at a correct price.

I agree with you to some point, but it's not the coating shops that are making the big bucks, but the franchise owners.

To be a Ceramic Pro franchise owner you need to spend at least 1,000,000 THB/year on their products and after the first year you need to pay license fees.

Also you have to decorate your shop according to their standards so I can see where those shops need to charge 20,000 THB in order to get their investment back.

However, the shops which I would recommend in Bangkok are independent (as am I) and we don't need to pay expensive franchise fees so we can keep our costs down.

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Jonathan,

Is your shop here in Thailand and if so where?

I am in Thailand, but in the North East. In case you are in Bangkok I can recommend a top-of-the-notch coating shop which charges reasonable prices (+- 10,000 THB).

However, I think they are pretty booked full so if you don't mind the 1 month waiting list then .... :)

1 hour ago, abab said:

Complete reply but too complete for Thailand. Not even sure that any of the shops doing coating know what you are talking about :-)

Anyway, the OP just needs to know that coating is useful to protect his paint and that he needs to do it only 1 time every few years. No addon necessary every 2 months.

To return to the topic: actually I also recommend a 6 month "maintenance" for my customers. Ceramic / Glass coating is not a magic product so it does allow some scratches to happen.

In that case, the coating has to be polish a bit and re-applied. In addition, when it rains a lot the hydrophobic effect of the coating might lessen and in that case we re-apply the hydrophobic coating to the car once again.

We recommend every 6 months, but that's included in the warranty of the service. 

Example: 10,000 THB will give you a complete polishing, ceramic coating, window coating, wheels coating and a 2 year warranty which includes 4 maintenance services.

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

I am in Thailand, but in the North East. In case you are in Bangkok I can recommend a top-of-the-notch coating shop which charges reasonable prices (+- 10,000 THB).

However, I think they are pretty booked full so if you don't mind the 1 month waiting list then .... :)

Can you stop saying that you can recommend but actually RECOMMEND NOW ?

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, abab said:

Can you stop saying that you can recommend but actually RECOMMEND NOW ?

Thank you.

I don't think I can though...isn't it against forum rules to recommend a business by name?

20 hours ago, JoeW said:

I'm in Khon Kaen.. Where are you located?

25 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I'm in Khon Kaen.. Where are you located?

You are in luck ... he is only 80Kms away in Kalasin. It's iffee to advertise your business on TV even if asked ... may I suggest that you PM him ... hope this helps. 

9 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

The only coating I get is when I leave Car Wash. No matter where am after 30 mins there's a bloody Water Tanker that's just turned the Roadworks into a Red River,or its Waterin the flowers in the Central Reservation and Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Should wash your car here then :) 48 hour rain/wet insurance...

On 10/02/2017 at 7:28 PM, JoeW said:

I don't think I can though...isn't it against forum rules to recommend a business by name?

2 hours ago, abab said:

No it isn't and anyway you can do what you want by private message. Please tell me.

Studio_20170211_233512.png

Sending you a PM JoeW for your recommendation of the Bangkok shop.

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2017 at 3:20 PM, JAS21 said:

First you need to ask what product he intends to use, and is it the same product that he will re-apply every two months. Can you put anything on top of his product between applications?

Whites are very variable with how good they look, Honda white does look impressive when polished correctly.

It really depends on what you want … you want it better than showroom or just be able to remove motor bikers shoe marks from the side easily along with bird poo/tree sap whatever.

Just accept very little, here in Thailand, lasts more than a few weeks before it needs re-applying.  My cars are glass coated … I did them … and the water will still sheet off but it didn’t take long for that ‘silk like’ feel to disappear from the surface.

I’ve tried on top of the glass coat, Si-700, Autoglym HD wax and Polymer CP501F. They are all ‘much of a muchness’ but in different ways and all very quick to apply and wipe off.  The polymer, to an extent, is a bit of a filler for imperfections.  YMMV

So the guy is charging you 1250thb for a wash and polish every two months. I can assure you that ‘the product’ will be a very small part of the 1250thb.

The quality of the finish is very much in the preparation!

Hello, do you know if I can use meguiar liquid wax on top of the coating ?

I read somewhere that it is actually not wax but a sealant ? I don't know what it means :-)

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 5/9/2017 at 5:55 PM, bangkokairportlink said:

Hello, do you know if I can use meguiar liquid wax on top of the coating ?

I read somewhere that it is actually not wax but a sealant ? I don't know what it means :-)

Thanks.

Useless to use was on glass coating. Better just use was and avoid coating.

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2017 at 6:12 PM, JoeW said:

However, I think they are pretty booked full so if you don't mind the 1 month waiting list then .... ?

Hello,

Can you tell me where to go and also PM me where you are located in north east ? As I plan a visit there, I could visit you ? thanks.

Archived