Asian Indians in Thailand as permanent residents

calbear09

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/02/2017 at 6:03 PM, seancbk said:

It isn't only rich Indians that have been here for generations.  

Where do you see 'millions' of Indians selling nuts?  Definitely not 'millions' or even 'hundreds' of them.  

I know a large extended family of poor Thai Muslim Indians who were originally fishermen, living for generations in Pattaya. The family has members throughout Thailand.

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I know a large extended family of poor Thai Muslim Indians who were originally fishermen, living for generations in Pattaya. The family has members throughout Thailand.

Interesting. I would be curious as to their heritage. My guess would be South Indian fishermen via the Andamans.

1 minute ago, The Dancer said:

Interesting. I would be curious as to their heritage. My guess would be South Indian fishermen via the Andamans.

Something I have tried to establish without success, though I know there are some connections with Malaysia.

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Something I have tried to establish without success, though I know there are some connections with Malaysia.

Ok, that could be it. There's a large South Indian population in Malaysia - folks brought over by the Brits in the good old days of the Empire mainly to work on the rubber plantations.

46 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Probably Burmese Muslims . Most of the rotti sellers are . They have no papers to work in thailand as they are effectively stateless just like the hill tribe people used to be . I have never been to Burma so im

not sure what the local

population looks like in the eastern part that borders Bangladesh  but I would presume they look far more south Asian. 

5 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Probably Burmese Muslims . Most of the rotti sellers are . They have no papers to work in thailand as they are effectively stateless just like the hill tribe people used to be . I have never been to Burma so im

not sure what the local

population looks like in the eastern part that borders Bangladesh  but I would presume they look far more south Asian. 

Incorrect assumptions, the family have Thai citizenship, some of the males have served in the Thai armed forces, own land in Pattaya etc, though  most are poor

17 hours ago, Naam said:
20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

But can they? Has anyone provided any evidence that they can other than speculation?

Talking about new people, not historical legacy families that are THAI for a very long time. 

of course there is no evidence for the cracked lukewarm farts pertaining to thousands of nut sellers who are actually loan sharks and allegedly have permanent residence.

fact is there are thousands of ethnic Indians having Myanmar citizenship working legally in Thailand possessing the relevant permits based on the "bordering nation" regulation.

another fact the fart crackers are unaware of is:

About 65,000 Indian Thais have full Thai citizenship, but around 400,000 persons of Indian origin settled in Thailand mainly in the cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indians_in_Thailand

There you go again providing facts to back up your statements, when we all know that people just want to spout their own biased opinions.

I'd love to know how many Western residents there are working in Bangkok.  

On 2/15/2017 at 5:59 PM, The Dancer said:

Good luck with your business. To grow a business I guess you just have to take on financing at some point and therefore debt. But that's a good cause. Putting an iPhone 7 on a CC because it's shiny and Somchai's got one is not.

Thank you.   The trick is to take on debt when you can afford it and when doing so lets you use the money you have more efficiently.

I know a Indian guy at my neighbourhood that is just a simple middle-class condo project  ie units priced between 3.5 million baht to 5 million baht. He is always dressed in bermudas, a polo shirt and slippers with a simple watch and just a thin gold chain and is always keeping to himself but simple smiles at all and greets everybody politely  and I merely thought that he was simply renting the place. But found it strange that all the staff were afraid of him and were very courteous to him and I thought this was strange until I came across an old magazine that had an article about him saying about the billions he had. Then  found out from the juristic office that the guy had more than 350 units under the same group located in various areas that he rents out. He only has a simple toyota vios but also found out from a fellow neighbour that the Indian guys dines out everyday at various fine restaurants and tips the staff like crazy and that his unit was at the building was a combo of a few units that were done up luxuriously. What I learned from these was that most of the Indians that you see here in Bangkok, though they look simple, they are filthy rich in terms of assets and money!

30 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

I know a Indian guy at my neighbourhood that is just a simple middle-class condo project  ie units priced between 3.5 million baht to 5 million baht. He is always dressed in bermudas, a polo shirt and slippers with a simple watch and just a thin gold chain and is always keeping to himself but simple smiles at all and greets everybody politely  and I merely thought that he was simply renting the place. But found it strange that all the staff were afraid of him and were very courteous to him and I thought this was strange until I came across an old magazine that had an article about him saying about the billions he had. Then  found out from the juristic office that the guy had more than 350 units under the same group located in various areas that he rents out. He only has a simple toyota vios but also found out from a fellow neighbour that the Indian guys dines out everyday at various fine restaurants and tips the staff like crazy and that his unit was at the building was a combo of a few units that were done up luxuriously. What I learned from these was that most of the Indians that you see here in Bangkok, though they look simple, they are filthy rich in terms of assets and money!

Wow you must of found a needle in a haystack ! I have many Indian friends , above everything is the need to show wealth . Most are as tight as a ducks arse (I dont mind as im part Scottish) but when it comes to cars and houses it must be flaunted ! Having the biggest house in the ghetto is ultra important . All in all I really like them but I'd never go into business with them as they are very cut throat and driven . Keep

money out of the equation and they are the best people you could meet . Obviously this is not fact based from the bible that is Wikipedia (total facts) just one mans opinion who has been best friends with an Indian for 20 +years . 

1 hour ago, Canceraid said:

I've know a few people like that in my life.  The wealthiest Chinese guy I know dresses very conservatively and you'd never guess how rich he is.

But generally I prefer people who if they have money don't hide the fact.   

7 hours ago, seancbk said:

I've know a few people like that in my life.  The wealthiest Chinese guy I know dresses very conservatively and you'd never guess how rich he is.

But generally I prefer people who if they have money don't hide the fact.   

Why ? So you can polish their shoes ? 

Until 1971 anyone born in the Kingdom of Thailand to foreign parents, regardless of their immigration status (including illegals), was automatically a Thai citizen.  So, like the Chinese community, most Thai Indians or their forefathers acquired Thai nationality by being born in Thailand to foreign parents.  These days there are still a lot of Chinese and Indians immigrating to Thailand and going through the now far more arduous route of applying for permanent residence and then Thai citizenship.

On 2017/2/14 at 1:06 AM, oxo1947 said:

There you are then it can be done----just save all your pennies up---sell a few nuts on the side, & you could own Soi 11.....and be a millionaire, not that this will make any difference to the girls in Thailand.................:coffee1:

million.jpg

Is this a photoshop picture or what?  I have never seen a wedding dress like that before. Nevertheless this is an amazing photo. The lady looks real happy. She said, "you have an ATM? no big deal, I got myself a machine that prints the bank notes".