Is Bangkok Really as hot as they say?

finy

9 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

in·to·na·tion
ˌin(t)əˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. 1.
    the rise and fall of the voice in speaking.

Thanks for that, Professor.   Intonation also applies to the written word so that it's context is interpreted as the writer intended.

By the way, don't alter my posts, the rules don't allow that.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Thanks for that, Professor.   Intonation also applies to the written word so that it's context is interpreted as the writer intended.

By the way, don't alter my posts, the rules don't allow that.

I am struggling to find where intonation is said to apply to the written word?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intonation_(linguistics)    not there

Maybe you meant stress?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(linguistics)

Edited by muzmurray

2 hours ago, onthesoi said:

For eg, Thai is one of many tonal languages & yes, the tones rules are embedded in the Thai script:

tone_graph.gif

You do know that we are not talking either about Thai or tones?

Also, tones are used in Thai to change meaning, not emphasis.

Edited by muzmurray

45 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

You do know that we are not talking either about Thai or tones?

Let me remind you what you're talking about:

4 hours ago, muzmurray said:
4 hours ago, gdgbb said:

You may not consider that changing how my posts are written constitutes a change but it does.  Altering the post by bolding can alter the intonation and can, therefore, alter the context. 

If you think there would be some difficulty in having the discussion understood then copy and paste the relevant part into your own comment, don't alter my comment.

Just because other posters alter other's posts doesn't make it ok either.

in·to·na·tion
ˌin(t)əˈnāSH(ə)n/
noun

1. 1.

As you can see the post you're replying is talking about intonation in the context of meaning not emphasis as you suggest.

Allow me to include the full definition which you copy-pasted from:

synonyms: inflection, pitch, tone, timbre, cadence, cadency, lilt, rise and fall, modulation, speech

A synonym is defined as:

A word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language.

Which means to talk about intonation is to talk about tones.

You then said:

I am struggling to find where intonation is said to apply to the written word?

I replied giving the Thai language as an example of a written language which expresses tones/intonation in the written form.

You all caught up now chief ???

-------

45 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

It's all academic now, but Take for example: โว้ย or Woi

It can be said or emphasised a million different ways, tonally, depending on the context of what is being acknowledged.

Edited by onthesoi

20 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Let me remind you what you're talking about:

As you can see the post you're replying is talking about intonation in the context of meaning not emphasis as you suggest.

Allow me to include the full definition which you copy-pasted from:

Which means to talk about intonation is to talk about tones.

You then said:

I replied giving the Thai language as an example of a written language which expresses tones/intonation in the written form.

You all caught up now chief ???

-------

It's all academic now, but Take for example: โว้ย or Woi

It can be said or emphasised a million different ways, tonally, depending on the context of what is being acknowledged.

Well done on getting it completely wrong.

Muzmurray quoted gdgbb and bolded part of gdgbb's post (to highlight which specific part Muz was referring to).

Gdgbb complained that bolding part of his post was against forum rules.

Gdgbb claimed that doing so changed the 'intonation' of his post.   

Muz countered that 'intonation' is only applicable to the spoken word.   (He is by the way, correct, if we are referring to English, which in this case we are).

You then brought up Thai and it's use of tones in both spoken and written forms....which I'm sorry to say is completely unrelated to the discussion at hand.

Bolding English text does not change anything, it does not alter the meaning, the intonation or the context.  It merely serves to make it clear which text is being referred to.     Gdgbb's argument was, I think, that people may think the bold text was in his original post, which is valid expect one would hope that people contributing to a thread would have read all posts and seen that his original post wasn't bolded but that Muz had bolded it in the reply for clarity. 

Sadly, few people read all posts before replying and the average level of comprehension amongst even our native English speakers is surprisingly low.   

On 2/16/2017 at 9:42 PM, gdgbb said:

Horrible?  What does that mean, is it a scientific measurement?

i read the following (an excerpt from an article on a study of a number of world cities):

The city with the lowest level of pollution was Bangkok, which recorded a figure of 18 AQI, followed by Washington DC’s AQI of 24, and San Francisco and Madrid, who both recorded a figure of 25.

and nearly went into shock.  i spent 15 yrs in san francisco and rarely felt the air quality was bad.  i've also lived in los angeles where it is not good at all (and far worse than bangkok as LA was also in the study, but that wasn't a surprise to me).

maybe i'm going by the smell of the air ? and not the quality ? 

suffice to say, most of my posts in this thread should just be deleted.  i say bkk isn't humid but facts seem to support it is.  i say air is bad but facts support otherwise.  i do know where to get a cold beer so i'm going to focus on that expertise over the next few weeks.

10 hours ago, buick said:

i read the following (an excerpt from an article on a study of a number of world cities):

The city with the lowest level of pollution was Bangkok, which recorded a figure of 18 AQI, followed by Washington DC’s AQI of 24, and San Francisco and Madrid, who both recorded a figure of 25.

and nearly went into shock.  i spent 15 yrs in san francisco and rarely felt the air quality was bad.  i've also lived in los angeles where it is not good at all (and far worse than bangkok as LA was also in the study, but that wasn't a surprise to me).

maybe i'm going by the smell of the air ? and not the quality ? 

suffice to say, most of my posts in this thread should just be deleted.  i say bkk isn't humid but facts seem to support it is.  i say air is bad but facts support otherwise.  i do know where to get a cold beer so i'm going to focus on that expertise over the next few weeks.

The AQI has been awful the past month.  Just google "air quality bangkok".  I time my running around the pollution and the past month I haven't exercised much because it was frequently in the red (150-200) zone and rarely below 100.  I hope the PP is right that it's a winter phenomenon and it changes again soon.

Funny stuff, all those tangents.  Since others seemed to struggle with reading past comments and couldn't benefit from real data settling the air quality issue, here is the current measurement graphic:

http://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

The air quality is 119 on a scale where that's not so great, "unhealthy for sensitive groups," or most likely unhealthy for everyone that keeps breathing the air in Bangkok long term.

For reference, the reading is 122 at the US Embassy in Beijing now, essentially the same, with other readings throughout Beijing from mid-70s up to 140.  It's 65 in Los Angeles now, 97 in Jakarta, 78 in Shanghai.  It sounds like the air quality is worse in Bangkok than all the rest of the world, and as cities go it's near the bottom, but some industrial areas out there have it beat by quite a bit:  http://aqicn.org/map/world/#@g/18.5201/8.0859/2z

Bangkok air quality, Feb 21, 2017.JPG

On February 16, 2560 BE at 8:54 PM, muzmurray said:

First, please show me in the forum rules where it says I can not bold your quoted text to make it easier for other readers to understand what I am referring to.

Secondly, do not know where you got your 40 degrees from, if you could read, you would see that it was about AVERAGE temperature, you know average - it is the intelligence level above yours.

Clearly english is not your first language as you use the word SECONDLY numerous times in your babbling responses