Reps school / homeschooling

mixedexpatfamily1

Looking at reps school for putting my kids into for when we move, International school is out of the question so looking at this as an option

Anyone have experience of placing there kids in reps? Mixed race none Thai speaking kids? Easy for them to settle

I have one kid at kinder age I know he would be fine but I have a grade 2 and grade 6 that have concerns about,

Alternative is homeschooling looking into the pros and cons of that right now anyone have experience in that in this area? Lots of clubs and activities I could enroll the kids in if this was our route? Was hoping I could get the kids in school for the clubs etc don't know if this would be possible any experience or tips would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 1 month later...

I have my 5yo at REPS almost 2 years now (Nursery to Kindergarten 1&2). He seems to enjoy the classes a lot, and is doing the same sort of stuff that kids in International schools of the same age are doing. Good facilities, and mostly good teachers so far. Basic reading (Thai & English) and numerate skills I am happy with.

The kids de facto spoken language at REPS is mainly Thai, due to the demographic of pupils being mostly full Thai nationality. My 5 yo is fluent in both languages, due to the fact that I reside here and we speak only English at home. I do know people that work offshore or on rotation overseas that were not happy with their kid's proficiency in English when they returned from the work site to here, and have since sent the children to full International schools (Garden or St Andrew's) after withdrawing them from REPS.

Edited by huangnon

Reps is definitely better than a Thai school,unfortunately they still follow the Thai curriculum. I had a son there for a short period of time. Complained about all the supperstious mum bo jumbo they wasted time on,also time spent as Boy Scouts etc., Allthough to be fair the staff do seem to be motovated, do their best for the children. 

^Agreed. There are a lot of kids of the military in the school also, so the Thai curriculum / brainwashing crap will probably get worse. The plan is to get our child fluent in written / spoken Thai, before moving him to a full International school.

Not before he has learned to wai trees, obviously. :jap:

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, huangnon said:

I have my 5yo at REPS almost 2 years now (Nursery to Kindergarten 1&2). He seems to enjoy the classes a lot, and is doing the same sort of stuff that kids in International schools of the same age are doing. Good facilities, and mostly good teachers so far. Basic reading (Thai & English) and numerate skills I am happy with.

The kids de facto spoken language at REPS is mainly Thai, due to the demographic of pupils being mostly full Thai nationality. My 5 yo is fluent in both languages, due to the fact that I reside here and we speak only English at home. I do know people that work offshore or on rotation overseas that were not happy with their kid's proficiency in English when they returned from the work site to here, and have since sent the children to full International schools (Garden or St Andrew's) after withdrawing them from REPS.

My 5 yr. old daughter will be starting there at REPS in Ban Chang in May. Garden is too expensive and feel REPS will be good for us. Visited there once and saw they had numerous foreigner teachers.

29 minutes ago, thehelmsman said:

My 5 yr. old daughter will be starting there at REPS in Ban Chang in May. Garden is too expensive and feel REPS will be good for us. Visited there once and saw they had numerous foreigner teachers.

Reps pays the foreign teachers quite well (according to ajarn.com vacancies). They SHOULD attract decent teachers, but turnover seems a little high, based on the frequency of ads on that site. There may be issues with admin causing this, but it's getting harder and harder to attract and keep quality teachers. 

I have looked at the fees for Garden and it is about 6000 € for the 2 first years of kindergarten (3000 per year) for a Thai national that gets 10 % discount.

Do you know how much costs REPS ? I can't find any information on Google.

7 hours ago, Piifo said:

I have looked at the fees for Garden and it is about 6000 € for the 2 first years of kindergarten (3000 per year) for a Thai national that gets 10 % discount.

Do you know how much costs REPS ? I can't find any information on Google.

About 100,000 bht a year. Approximately less than a 1/3 of the fees for Garden,which in turn is much less than the fees for St Andrews or Regent.