Where Can I Buy Some Good Cheese?

tt61

Hmmm.

Must check out Villa, as I was pretty impressed with the cheese selection they had in the downstairs supermarket at the new Central department store.

Price level was a bit of an issue as I walked out wit about 3,000 Baht worth of cheese :o

:D

I paid my first visit to the new Central Festival food hall yesterday, and the cheese selection is v-e-r-y impressive indeed. It's better than a lot of western supermarkets, where they may have a larger cheese display, but a lot of it is the same bog standard cheddar. However, the place is indeed quite pricey.

I was going to buy a small 145 g tin of foie gras with truffle, until I noticed the price tag was a few Baht less than 2000 Baht! It would have gone nicely on about three Ritz crackers.

I made a purchase of boursin cheese today at TOPS supermarket (Pattaya Klang). The first time that I have seen it for sale in Thailand.

I love most cheese (knob-cheese being the exception).

Happy to hear it. The bacteria in cheese are quite different than those found beneath your prepuce.

Has anyone ever managed to find Wensleydale?

It's in the Lake District. Sandwiched between Lancashire and Scotland.

think i saw some the other day in foodland along with the red leicester

Edited by highchol

• 2 weeks later...
I paid my first visit to the new Central Festival food hall yesterday, and the cheese selection is v-e-r-y impressive indeed. It's better than a lot of western supermarkets, where they may have a larger cheese display, but a lot of it is the same bog standard cheddar. However, the place is indeed quite pricey.

I was going to buy a small 145 g tin of foie gras with truffle, until I noticed the price tag was a few Baht less than 2000 Baht! It would have gone nicely on about three Ritz crackers.

The new Festival Centre Food Hall is very good and has a good selection of cheese. I bought a good selection there. Definitely worth a trip for cheese lovers.

• 1 month later...

I live North West of Bangkok, yet it is still cheaper to drive to Pattaya to buy cheese.......

the 2kg block of cheddar is still cheaper at Bakery Wholesalers

Friendship or SS Sausage Co

http://www.sssausage.th.com/Kimchua/KIMCHUA.HTM

Thais in this Village love this Companies cooked hams and sausages, so end up buying a lot when I go over that way.

The sausage phase in Pattaya Forum is over?? :o

Anyway, onto the cheese phase: I thought the selection at the new Central Beach Road was better than what you can get elsewhere in Pattaya.

Did you click on the link ?? that page I posted is full of cheese from all over, is very good and as cheap or cheaper then Friendship... Myself cannot see any point in paying 2 or 3 time more for the same cheese, from the same importers in the same package..

Just on one cheese type I can drive the 100km round trip to BKK and buy for 1,659 baht or drive just over 300km round trip to Pattaya for the same cheese, from the same importers in the same packaging for 720 baht !!!!!!!!

The sausage phase in Pattaya Forum is over?? :o

Anyway, onto the cheese phase: I thought the selection at the new Central Beach Road was better than what you can get elsewhere in Pattaya.

Did you click on the link ?? that page I posted is full of cheese from all over, is very good and as cheap or cheaper then Friendship... Myself cannot see any point in paying 2 or 3 time more for the same cheese, from the same importers in the same package..

Just on one cheese type I can drive the 100km round trip to BKK and buy for 1,659 baht or drive just over 300km round trip to Pattaya for the same cheese, from the same importers in the same packaging for 720 baht !!!!!!!!

Excellent Link!

I shall be going up to Naklua to check out the bargains a SS Sausage Wholesalers on Naklua Road. Thanks!

The sausage phase in Pattaya Forum is over?? :)

I went up to this place on the Naklua Road today. Here is an update:

Your original link is out-of-date. The store is no longer called: SS Sausage it is called: Thai Sausage.

The 2 kg blocks of Cheddar Cheese cost 1100 baht, not really a bargain. I priced up the cheese slices and sausage but the prices were very similar to supermarket prices. In the end I didn't buy anything.

For those who plan to visit, it is on the Naklua Road on the left hand side going north about seven minutes walk from Dolphin roundabout.

While the new central was an improvement, in my opinion

some things like books and yes, cheese are still best done

in Bangkok.

Emporium supermarket is probably the best - with its real OLD cheddar from

France and Britain for example.

Not cheap but all cheese of any merit is imported here and

will always be expensive....

I would get some ice and a good car and make the drive...

The 2 kg blocks of Cheddar Cheese cost 1100 baht, not really a bargain.

As I said in a earlier post "the 2kg block of cheddar is still cheaper at Bakery Wholesalers"

Dutch cheese, Paris sliced ham, Canadian bacon, Danish bacon and sausages [buy 3 types of sausage] are a lot cheaper than any supermarket were I shop, there in 3kg packs, I repack in smaller packs and freeze

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I must mention that Friendship Supermarket is selling 'Blue' cheese for 107 baht if you look hard for (it). The brand name is: Emborg, Danablue.

This represents outstanding value for money if you consider and reflect upon the prices of the similar contiguous cheeses (in the fridge) which trade for double or more the above said priced product.

I must mention that Friendship Supermarket is selling 'Blue' cheese for 107 baht if you look hard for (it). The brand name is: Emborg, Danablue.

This represents outstanding value for money if you consider and reflect upon the prices of the similar contiguous cheeses (in the fridge) which trade for double or more the above said priced product.

Thank you, Syd, for always being on the lookout for a good deal and telling all of us about it! Will check it out!!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Syd, for always being on the lookout for a good deal and telling all of us about it! Will check it out!!

:)

I'm particularly partial to blue cheese and I have bought this brand from Friendship many times and enjoy it with a glass of ruby port wine, some crusty bread, sliced tomato and sliced apple. I watch my pennies and find this cheese very good value for money.

I'm particularly partial to blue cheese and I have bought this brand from Friendship many times and enjoy it with a glass of ruby port wine, some crusty bread, sliced tomato and sliced apple. I watch my pennies and find this cheese very good value for money.

Another excellent cheese at Friendship Supermarket is the 'Mainland' Gouda; priced at 153 baht it is a delicious and good value cheese available in Pattaya.

Enjoy! :)